1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Are Ossiarchs any good? (Practice not theory)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Ivor, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

for OBR? no at least not what we can throw at them OBR is going to be running big blocks with only 2-3 units in any one place so a ark would only do 6 damage or so 2 to each that is not enogh to stop there engien or even slow them down and our hord breaker wount work since the only target is the one with a 6+4+ after save

Lizerd and Nazqua like this.
  2. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

So what would the math look like if we used razordons? Most notably how well would they when compared to salamanders?

Erta Wanderer and Nazqua like this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

we have done this lizard. 12 razorz do 7-9 and 12 salamanders do 9-11 under perfect conditions with rerolls

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Lizerd likes this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’m to lazy to dig it up so thanks again :)

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

your good just remember thats with every one firing being in range and fully buffed so your going to be doing a lot less

Lizerd likes this.
  6. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Would stegadons with the flamers be alright? Charge two of them into a unit to put a hurting on it?

Talking with a compatriot of mine who runs DoK, he's not looking forward to fighting the legion that shall not be named in much capacity, but advised on hitting the support characters before getting into the troops if you're looking for a stand up fight.
    Both of us agree that kiteing them and staying out of their blades reach is probably best.

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

2 of them hiting 40 targets each would do 4-6 damage against guard 5-8 if they have rerolls
    yup kill the harvester and your good problem is nither our army or DoK have the range to do that

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Personally I was thinking of just dropping six rippers on it from a Shadowstrike after putting the frog next to it.
    If able. If not able, then the game of chase begins.

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

the rippers could definatly kill a harvester so it's up to how well the OBR player positions you need to kill it in the first 2 turns if you wan't to start making a dent in the guard

Lizerd likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It really makes me wonder what they used to playtest them. Did they somehow only playtest against factions who relied heavily on ranged firepower and thus could easily snipe the characters or something.

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

i don't think they listen to there playtesters at all

ILKAIN and Lizerd like this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, I don't think it's that bad. Plus they test themselves as well. If only cuz most of the designers like playing the games themselves. So you'd expect them to notice things like "certain armies don't stand a chance in hell to kill this unit, nor do they have the ability to take out the support unless the supporting units is badly out of place".

Though I guess a major factor could be that the designers themselves aren't necesarly good players. Maybe they all just suck at keeping supporting characters safe.

Lizerd and Carnikang like this.
  13. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Nah I doubt they play tested, or if they did they ignored it in favor of making ossiarchs more powerful

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  14. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

That's good for first round sales at least. But I do think they listen, just not as well as they could. That feedback is probably put on the back burner because the books go out to print before they actually give playtesters material to work with. Anything said is squirreled away and only addressed if there's a lot of community feedback about it.

Like the Iron Hands supplement for Space Marines. Broken, terribly dull to play against, and dominated for weeks before they actually addressed most of the issues plaguing the meta.
    But they sold a lot of Repulser Executioners before the nerf.

Lizerd likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They've explained their process in a white dwarf at some point. They do some playtesting internally and some externally, with drafts. Before doing a larger round of playtesting with a more finalized product. So there's definitly something.

imho that'd be weird. wargaming is a collectors hobby, it needs factions to stay relevant for extanded periods of time so you can continuously sell stuff and players don't have to redo their entire collection every other release due to powercreep. Especially as unlike a TGC building up a new army requires painting, and that takes an actual time investment, you can't just throw money at it.

and on GW's side this means that they need to be very very carefull not to overproduce stock. Trying to sell on hype and overpoweredness will mean any left-over stock once the hype has ended is going to sit on your shelves for a long long time. Which doesn't work well for them, and especially not for their brick and mortar stores as you only have so much shelvespace...

16. T-Wrecks
    Skink

T-Wrecks Member

Everyone! I have found out how to destroy the Bonereapers!
    You just need a bloodthirster is insensate rage to charge and have some of their units and all their heroes within 8” and roll multiple 6’s to wound to deal 8 mortal wounds to everything! Easy! Then reapers of vengeance the blood thirster so he attacks again and deal another 8 mortal wounds to everything again! That will teach those damn Bonereapers

Imrahil, LizardWizard, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  17. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

I still haven't gotten a game against OBR yet. Whoever is building an army locally is just hiding I guess.
    Have a tourney on the 8th of next month and a very small doubles the week after. Deciding if I want to bother with the doubles. It's set up is a bit... Unintuitive.

Hopefully I see some bone daddies on the table soon.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  18. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

doubles games are some of the most fun tournaments ever. so many good memories

Carnikang and LizardWizard like this.
  19. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Agreed. Doubles events are great. You should definitely go!

Erta Wanderer and Carnikang like this.
  20. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Oh yes, they are. I've had good fun at doubles, placing well and teaching others.

This next one coming up is going to be a knock out tourney with only two tables available... Store that wants to host is small and doesn't have a whole lot of space for an event by the Tabletop wargaming group.

Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.