1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Aren't Skink Skirmishers Useless?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by DavidSS, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

They do get long range penalty now; the only special rule governing javelins is that they are 'quick to fire'. This means they don't get the penalty for moving and shooting, and they can always stand and shoot, but nothing is mentioned about them being exempt from long range.

'Thrown weapons' now have a separate classification from javelins, but even they aren't exempt from long range -1.

2. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Ya that was my mistake, oops.

3. kugruk
    Skink

kugruk New Member

Javelins and thrown weapons will still get a penalty for long range.

4. WeeDawgNYC
    Skink

WeeDawgNYC New Member

good 1, squirmish skinks... :smug:

5. icecool208
    Skink

icecool208 New Member

wouldn't skink skrimishers be good agaisnt archers that dont have good close combat and won't charge you (peasnt bowman) and get close to either lower there numbers or draw there attention away from more important units and because thier skrimishers there harder to shoot at? just an idea

6. lehmunayde
    Skink

lehmunayde New Member

If I can these days, I try to scoot the skinks round the back of my opponents slower, shootier units and then just pump blowpipe darts into them at a safe distance. I do however have to be very careful with this or they will get charged and it will go VERY wrong. However, when you are round the back surely they would have to turn a full 180 or be shot down (slowly, though) I don't know if there's a rule which means that they can instantly turn around, could you help on this? Otherwise all you have to do is carefully manoeuvre them around the flank and then you are ready. Unless there is not enough room behind the opponent for you to do your work. Otherwise I do understand the argument that they are otherwise totally useless.

7. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

I used javelin skirmishers in a tournament couple weeks ago. I used to diss them alot, but they worked pretty well actually. Didnt have painted blowpipe skinks and had 10pts to spare.

Deathstars are common in 8th edition, and skinks are the only way to counter them with lizardmen. Always take 2+ units of skink skirmishres.

8. KillerK
    Saurus

KillerK Member

They are still our best unit. they preform so many roles it's, with out them gaining a victory is so difficult.