1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Battletome discussion: saurus knights

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by WizardinWinter, Mar 16, 2020.

1. WizardinWinter
    Skink

WizardinWinter Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Knights are pretty excellent imho. They may not have lighting speed but they can get an easy +3 to run and charge with a firelance. Also on coalesced they make 7 attacks a model. Popping a starpriest on them with koatls claw makes them downright terrifying (a unit of ten was able to knock out 5 or 6 kavalos deathriders). They may lack in some ways, but they are well worth their points

3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

As one of our Slanns once said, Knights are not slow cavalry, they are fast heavy infantry.

4. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

As a unit, I actually like them a fair bit. As a model, I flat out refuse to paint them.

PabloTho, LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  5. Boss C
    Jungle Swarm

Boss C New Member

Yeah, I'm relatively new to the game, and assembling my first lizards, got a decently discounted old SCB. And, woof, they are brutal to assemble...

But thanks, I'll put the spears on them, they look cooler anyways

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  6. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Saurus knights are actually pretty fun to do when you get a good process down. Good luck with them and have fun

7. Austin
    Skink

Austin New Member

I don't get all the hate for knight and warrior models. I actually really like them. Do you think people just like to hate on older sculpts?

Lizerd, IggyStarhost and LizardWizard like this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I think it is model envy. Look at the Saurus Knights, then look at the new Chaos Knights. The main issue is the models are boxy in order to allow them to fit into movement trays, which are no longer used. I think the models are fine though. Dated, but fine.

Lizerd likes this.
  9. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

For me the problem is that the models were made back in fantasy when cold ones had a rule called stupid. Where they were so dumb you rolled a d6 before activating them to see if they did anything that turn. On a 1 they stood still dumbfounded at the world around them and forfeited their turn. The models were made to reflect that. Dark elf cold ones were not stupid and got the sleek deadly look. We got dumb cows.

Rules wise, I find that a unit of 10+ knights makes an effective blender under the right buffs and can get a lot of work done.

10. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

I have a friend who loves all the old stuff. The older the better. My opinion is that the saurus aren’t terrible models, but the Cold Ones are, especially compared to Dark Elf Cold Ones... I think it’s the discrepancy between generations of models. The Monsters, Flyers, and Skink Starpriest are quite nicely done. Some older models hold up quite well (Slann/Kroak are decent, skinks are good). And then there are the lower tier saurus, followed by the really dated looking Kroxigor, Cold Ones, etc.

11. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

TWW spoiled us.

12. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

If you take the time, you can put them in relatively dynamic poses, which look much better than them in a static pose (with eyes that look like they are stoned to the maximum). Honestly I wish GW would just give us new sculpts for them

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. Shocksem
    Saurus

Shocksem Active Member

Look at the cold ones dark elves have.

LizardWizard and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  14. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I've always liked the really old ones that actually looked like cows. Super low to the ground, with enormous bellies.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  15. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

I find it very amusing how the look of the creature has evolved from the low-to-ground, big-bellied cows to a sleeker, deadlier velociraptor-like creature. I love it! It's just that for me, the derpy expressions on our cold-ones ruin it. I never realized this look was backed by lore tho, so that's pretty cool.

Wondering if the Old World will stick with the "stupid" COs or make them more like their more feral and intelligent TWW2 versions.

16. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, do you think that ALL our dinos will become susceptible to primal instincts like they do in TWW2?! As long as it's attacking the nearest ENEMY unit, I think I'd be ok with it.

EDIT: I mean this for when the Old World comes back. Should probably check to see if this convo has come up over in the Lizardmen sub.

17. the dark wanderer
    Saurus

the dark wanderer Well-Known Member

As an oldschool Bretonnia Player i would recommend at least one unit with blades, IF you are playing with mass cavallery (3+ units).
    This is because not every unit will be able to attack, there can be several combat phases, the need to hold target points etc.

18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Blades are so poor that they won't change much, even if you didn't manage to charge. Besides, you won't always know which units will need to charge and when.

19. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

The problem with blades is that the jaws of the cold one do a similar thing, and the opportunity cost of sacrificing the lance charge really isn’t made up by the +1 to hit. If they had rend they would definitely be worth it, but right now I can’t see any reason to take blades over lances as the charges I’ve gotten with lances have been nigh unstoppable

LizardWizard and Nart like this.
  20. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Besides, In KC you have several ways of gaining +1 to-hit through CA.