1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Beginner to AoS & Seraphon; please help!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by DJ85, Sep 19, 2017.

1. DJ85
    Jungle Swarm

DJ85 New Member

Hi!

Long story short, I'm a 40k player who has finally decided to dip my toe in to the world of AoS.

I lost interest in GW back in the mid-90's (around when the previous edition of BloodBowl was released) & have only recently dusted off my dice now I'm in my mid-30s. Of course AoS is a complete change for me as I remember WFB with great fondness, despite being a 40k player.

I always liked dwarfs, but the newer models don't appeal to me & from what I gather they've lost a lot of their miniature range & character in AoS.

Lizardmen/ Seraphon seem largely unchanged to my (novice) eye though & have a large range on the GW website, with plenty of 90s models- my guilty pleasure- still available on eBay.

So, my questions are: are the Seraphon a good AoS beginner army?

If I find a games group that still plays WHB, will magnetised bases (round to square) allow good conversion between the two game systems?

Is the 'Start Collecting' box a logical first step?

Lastly, I've picked up the General's Handbook 2017- I presume I just need the Seraphon codex (whatever the AoS equivalent is...battletome?) and I'm good to go?

Thank you for your help & apologies if I rambled on- I know my terminology is probably all wrong!

Koriialstraz and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard,

You have taken the first step and taken it well with the GHB 2017 Seraphon are stronger now due to the changes.

Seraphon a good beginner army, hmmm, we have more synergies than the other armies put together so yes and no, if you like the models your onto a good start.

The start collecting box is excellent value and a logical first purchase, magnetised bases will work and the models are great for both systems, just be aware that Saurus are a pain to rank up correctly on square bases so have this in mind when you assemble them.

The codex is handy to have or you can use the AOS app for your warscrolls a list builder tool is also available on line https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

If you google the Seraphon battle tome it is on a download as a pdf but I prefer to have physical copies of everything.

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

The Seraphon Battletome is a nice fluff book. Not really necessary to play though, you can get information about the bataillons from somewhere else as well.
    Otherwise... pretty much what @Crowsfoot said.