1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Best unit to support Stegadons?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Akholrak, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Akholrak
    Skink

Akholrak Member

Hi!

Been away from the game for a while, and thinking of getting back into it. I always liked a hammer & anvil tactic using Saurus to hold an enemy unit in place, and then charge the flank with a Stegadon. The Stegadon benefits from a friendly unit with ranks to break steadfast, and the Saurus benefit from terror-causing Monster with high Strength attacks. My question is, are Saurus the best unit for this? Whilst I acknowledge that Skrox units bleed combat res, they have more ranks and a greater movement speed to keep up with the Stegadon in order to pull off a possible dual charge if the stars are aligned. Also, if the Stegadon gets charged, Skrox units are faster and can provide support quicker than the Saurus could. I would normally run a block of 30 Saurus or a block 30 Skinks are 3 Krox.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Opinions may vary, but I personally have never been a big proponent of Skrox units. I think Saurus or Temple Guard do it better.

3. Scalenex
    OldBlood

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Temple Guard are my favorite unit to pair with Stegadons. Though I guess since I put a Slann in there and favor really big Temple Guard blocks, I tend to see it as the Stegadons as the support unit for the Temple Guard block.

Saurus Warriors work in tandem with Stegadons too, but Saurus Warriors are a bit too fragile for my tastes.

I did an army swap with a friend and my friend went REALLY heavy with Skinks requiring almost every Skink model I had. A really deep Skink tarpit can also hold a unit in place to smack it with a Stegadon on the flank, but the unit you are fighting better be a unit that cannot consistently wound Stegadons.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In terms of durability, Saurus warriors are no worse than Temple Guard. In close combat they both have a 4+ armour save. Temple Guard have 1 better WS, but Saurus (sword and board variant) have a 6+ parry.

Obviously Temple Guard sport a better offensive output and are Stubborn with a Slann. However, Saurus Warriors are cheaper and come out of core, so they might actually have a chance to be steadfast due to greater numbers.

The best choice would obviously be Temple Guard + Kroak!