1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Canas' armies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Canas, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I think the tech priest and my lord of change are probably the best models I've painted so far.
    Also I really like what the technical paints did for the base. It doesn't show well in the picture, but the tech priest is the first one were I used a technical paint for the base (earlier models I either glued sand or grass on it, or the base was already shaped so it was just an extention of the model to be painted). And it turned out quite nice. Though I need to figure out a way to apply the technical paint more easily, probably should find something better than a random piece of wood to apply it with too.

Lizerd, Aginor and Warden like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I have finally finished the last 3 tzaangor from my first battleforce box. Only 1 more box to go...

WP_20190106_14_26_57_Pro.jpg WP_20190106_14_26_29_Pro.jpg WP_20190106_14_26_53_Pro.jpg

Lizerd, ravagekitteh, Warden and 3 others like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Armiger warglaives from the forgebane box. Also includes my first attempt at freehanding eh, I'mma say squigly lines. God I'm terrible at drawing a straight line.

There's also some attempts at battle damage on the armoured plates (or well.. half of em are just me screwing up while painting, but let's make the best of these happy lil "accidents"). Some of it looks halfway decent, though especially zoomed in like this most just look like random smudges.

I really like how the bases turned out though.

WP_20190113_11_12_21_Pro.jpg WP_20190113_11_12_03_Pro.jpg WP_20190113_11_12_16_Pro.jpg

Lizerd, Killer Angel, Warden and 4 others like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Are you using Agrax Gloss shade?

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Heresy! Followed up by some of the Omnissah's justice, well played.

Nice work, everything looks really shiny :cool:

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nope, why? The shading on both the models and the base is Nuln oil. Though there is a bit of leftover bras scorpion still mixed in that wasn't entirely out of the bristles yet on one of the armigers.

Been wanting to start an mechanicus army for ages, and now that the forgebane box was getting discontinued I had no choice but to buy one of the last ones and get started :p

I think that's partially due to my camera. They look (a little) less shiny in real life.

Lizerd, Warden and LizardWizard like this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

That is why I was asking about it being gloss shade. lol

Canas likes this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You can see it in some of my other pictures as well. I haven't quite figured out how to take proper pictures of my stuff yet.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

And the first of my skitarii

WP_20190116_12_50_53_Pro.jpg WP_20190116_12_51_00_Pro.jpg

Lizerd, Warden, LizardWizard and 3 others like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I like your AdMech.
    Praise the Omnissiah!

LizardWizard and Canas like this.
  11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I like your color scheme on the admech. You did a good job keeping some of the details on the power-pack distinct from their casings. The muddy basing looks like that thick gloppy type of mud that tries to pull your boots off. Really great effect!

Your models seem to frequently have a large amount of frosting. This is especially evident on the second photo. The bottom lefthand side of his cloak has a near black splotch and quite a bit of streaking above it. One solution might be to load your brush from a palate instead of the shade bottle to ensure that you have a manageable amount of paint on your brush. You can also take a clean brush after you apply the shade onto the model and use is to wick up or move around areas where excess shade has settled. Lastly, you might consider further thinning the shade with some Lahmian Medium.

Lizerd, Warden and Canas like this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest, on this particular model I like it. It resembles oil smudges, which fits with them being mechanical/mechanics.

But yeah, in general, I paint rather messily, on the admech it works, and on more feral creatures like the seraphon it isn't terrible either. But for cleaner models, like my tzeentch mortals, I really should learn how to avoid it. It makes my models look dirty and a bit rushed, which sometimes works in my advantage, it can make a model seem more alive to have a few spots here and there. But it's a significant detriment when trying to paint something that should look crips and clean.. thanks for the advice.

The basing is actually fairly straightforward. I used astroganite for the texture basicly just depositing it randomly. Then a rhinox hide base coat, drybrush with brass scorpion and then a wash of nuln oil. It creates a nice mix of a very dark thick muddy ground, but with the shine of minerals and various metals poking through. I wish I had tried it earlier. It looks so much better than just putting a bit of sand or fake grass on the base.

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

All I can say is take a model and practice on it, now the best model to practice on is a space marine as they have large flat surfaces.

Paint each armour section a different colour then shade each one that will help you keep within the lines, same with highlighting apply a couple of thin coats to achieve the layer.

Canas and LizardWizard like this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Some more skitarrii rangers. This time with a line on the hem of their hood/cape/cloak-things. I need to practise drawing an actual straight line at some point at least here I can make the excuse their cloaks are just very dirty and weathered :p

WP_20190120_13_06_30_Pro.jpg WP_20190120_13_06_43_Pro.jpg WP_20190120_13_06_28_Pro.jpg WP_20190120_13_06_39_Pro.jpg

Lizerd, Crowsfoot, Warden and 3 others like this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

And the remaining skitarii for my ranger squad.
    I'm actually kinda pleased with how they turned out. Even the glowy blue bits for their plasma and arc weaponry looks a bit better than usual.

Also, I did a terrible attempt at putting some output on the ranger with the measurement tool thing of which I can't remember the name right now. I should really remember to do those kind of things before attaching the arms...

WP_20190129_15_36_51_Pro.jpg WP_20190129_15_35_56_Pro.jpg WP_20190129_15_36_17_Pro.jpg WP_20190129_15_36_29_Pro.jpg WP_20190129_15_36_45_Pro.jpg

On a sidenote, now I actually did enjoy painting these a lot. And I do want to make a full army. But they're lacking psyckers completly. And I think I'd like some. Does anyone know what would make for a good allied psycker?

Lizerd, Warden, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Your defo getting better at painting ;)

Canas likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think the Skitarii profit from your painting style, those glossy effects look very cool on them.
    Good job!

Canas likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

And the tech priest from the forgebane box.

WP_20190131_10_45_31_Pro.jpg

Given the amount of ad-mech boxes that have tech priests in em, is there anything they can be kit-bashed into? Before I end up with a 100 of em? I'm already at two now.

Lizerd and tom ndege like this.
  19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Maybe you can try to convert them into a sort of techmarines? I easily see one of them assigned to a thunderfire cannon

especially if we're talking about Iron Hands

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Mm, I think I have some chaos marine bits left. But those are significantly smaller than the techpriest. Maybe some of the chaos lord bits could work.

In terms of the actual game, what's the difference between tech priests and tech marines? Or the iron priest variant that the space wolves have? As far as I could find online they basicly serve the same purpose of repairing vehicles and the like, do they have (dis)-advantage compared to a normal tech priest? Besides not benefiting from things like canticles.

Lizerd likes this.