1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Caneghem's Review of the Lizardmen!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Caneghem, Aug 11, 2013.

1. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: Caneghem's Review of the New Lizardmen! COMPLETE

Amazing review man. :meh:
    (if this tread isin't stickied yet, then it needs to be.)

2. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

Excellent overview, I found it most useful.

3. loq-gar
    Saurus

loq-gar New Member

will you be reviewing special characters as well?

was a really good read and would be cool if you did them!

Gor Rok looks pretty ok for the cost

4. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I'm thinking of adding the Special Characters, just for completeness' sake. Initially I wasn't going to do them, because I usually play without them (I like customizing my own characters). But since more and more tournaments are allowing them, they would definitely be worth a review.

5. rd4
    Saurus

rd4 New Member

Quick question, what does ss stand for? Is it points?

6. rothgar13
    Saurus

rothgar13 New Member

It's Skavenslaves. GW frowns upon people using straight-up points values for things, so we just use the cost of a commonly known unit that's easy to sub in (hint: it's 3-1 points per model).

7. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

is there a look out sir against arcane unforging?

8. rd4
    Saurus

rd4 New Member

Thanks! Was reading through and I thought the Slann was a bit cheap, like he was on, half-price ;)

9. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Nope.

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The other thing I find funny is that the medical abbreviation "ss" means "one half". It just makes the pharmacy student in me chuckle every time.

11. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

Caneghem wrote:
    " And the good old Stegadon got flat-out better, now being able to use the skink Initiative and get D3 wounds on impact hits all while getting cheaper."

How does the steg use the Initiative of the skinks?

This would be awesome, please tell me?

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The Stegadon still attacks at the same time, but with the shared profile, they would test on the Skink Initiative if faced with a Purple Sun.

13. Andrinor
    Saurus

Andrinor Member

Great job! I vote sticky. Also, I hope you do get around to doing the special characters.

14. rothgar13
    Saurus

rothgar13 New Member

I'll also support that. I would love to see your take on special characters.

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Re: Caneghem's Review of the New Lizardmen! Now with Rares

I think I speak for all when I say very glad that you decided to share.

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Special Characters are in!

17. rothgar13
    Saurus

rothgar13 New Member

Re: Caneghem's Review of the Lizardmen! Special Characters a

Nice! Thanks a bunch. :smug:

18. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

He has 3+ AS because of 5+scaly skin Light armour and his helm gives +1 as. But its not magical at all. Gorrok is way better.
    All in all im seeing that i will use only gorrok and kroak thats all, other are over priced as in last book, thats my opinion. My belowed mazamundi :jawdrop:
    Kroqgar not able to take cav to core is big hit for his fluff and playability.
    I dont know i was happy that vetoc did the book, now that we know everything it seems awfull. so much mistakes, so much bad wording. Its a shame.
    And when you look at other books its just a joke. i mean a lot armys has stacking ward save to maks 3+ we have unstacable 6+ ward... other armys has buffs we have +1I fail buff.... Other armys can get more models in play we get on 4+ on one unit thats max 3 per game and its more expensive that buying those 3 in first place :D yes yes you get a monster in that price but its also in shadows befaure normal monsters in other armys.
    We will se how does it play of in the end.

19. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

Krox-Gar has a 2+ armor, I think you forgot to calculate being mounted.

4+ scales, light armor, mounted is 2+.

Otherwise I agree on all points I remember. I think Oxyotl may be able to earn his keep killing mages. His BS is good enough to be at 12" and pop a Mage with poison.

His smaller footprint while doing as much as several chameleons means he is easier to hide and run around avoiding charge arcs. Means more time floating in the back field. Require less bodies for same work. I hid chameleons between two blocks my last game, and they still killed a few every turn and were ignored due to hilarious positioning.

20. Chunk
    Saurus

Chunk Member

Have we been reading the same book? Apart from the Predatory Fighter thing needing clarification, I haven't experienced any problems with how the book has been written in terms of clear rules.

Only one army has the ability to "stack" ward saves to 3+, and that's high elves. The only other army that could be described as "stacking" ward saves is Warriors of Chaos, and that only makes their parry saves go from 6 to 5 (and both impact hits and thunderstomps ignore Parry)

In terms of "buffs" from units, Empire has the two Buff wagons, both of which are very fragile and the same number of points as the Bastiladon, and I would never describe +1 I as a "fail" buff on an army that is characterised by its low initiative. Disregarding the ability for it to act as a foundation upon which to increase the unit's Init further with Hand of Glory, +1 I has a wide variety of effects, including making Saurus less vulnerable to I-based tests, making them strike before other Lizardmen armies, strike at the same time as Ogres, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, and Orcs, as well as making our characters strike before most enemies. It also means that our big monsters become basically immune to Initiative-based damage.

This is of course not taking into account the 3+ bound spell that comes with it, and being carried by a monster that (unlike the Empire buff wagon) can hold its own in close combat, and guard the flanks of our other units.

Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings are the only armies that get models back, though I barely rate TK since they don't have a dedicated "raise" spell, only d3+1 models back. In the case of Vampire Counts, that's just how their army has worked since their inception, and the fact they can bring models back is built into their playstyle (hence why their units are individually poor stat-wise), and requires casting various spells to occur.

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood what the Bastiladon is for, it isn't a monster-killer, it isn't a unit-destroyer, it's a durable Support unit with the ability to carry some mildly useful things on its back at the same time. If you expect it to charge into a horde or a Chimera and do well, you're going to be disappointed, because that isn't what it's for. If you move it up with your main Saurus blocks, using it to guard their flanks and increase their initiative/Solarbeam some stuff, then you'll find that they're very useful critters.