1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Carnosour Tactica (including dual Carno Tactica)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by ZaGreekie, Sep 23, 2013.

1. CaptainAl
    Jungle Swarm

CaptainAl New Member

Well I just wanted to jump in and say thank you for this tactica. Its a great read so far and inspiring to start a big Dino list :)

2. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

=> Thank you to you and to everyone making these great articles. They are very inspiring, especially since I have no plans at all to include a Slann or any Salamanders. :)

One thing - The BRB specifies that you only get one overrun and one bonus combat, so you are limited to "only" obliterating a total of two combats. :)

3. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

So I've been thinking on how to protect a Carno. How about you let the Carno join a unit of Cold Ones. I'm not sure if this is legal though?

In any case, if he can join a unit of CoC of at least 5 models then he should have protection against at least one Bolt thrower shot. Those Bolt throwers can be pretty nasty for a Carno with the no armour save allowed. In return, the Carno can protect the CoC unit when it falls below 5 rank and file. Due to randomisation it is possible for shots to hit the higer T Carno / Character that has a better possibility of surviving the shot.

I've also made a picture of a perhaps useful tactic for charging:

b4b4.png

Black is the enemy unit with its forward arc, blue is the CoC unit and red would be the Carno. If the Carno charges the enemy unit it would end up in the flank, while the CoC can then choose to charge in the front (depends on what kind of block we are talking about). If the enemy would fail the terror test than perhaps the CoC can perform a charge and basically force another flee reaction.

The downsides of this is still that the CoC can die pretty fast to warmachines and that the Carno does not get a LoS roll for cannons and stone throwers.

U reckon this might possibly work? Maybe some pple will see the CoC + Carno as one unit and expect it to charge as one.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Not since our 6th edition book under 7th edition BRB : :depressed:

(Monsters can't join units in 8th edition BRB)

5. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Shame, looked too good to be true :p

6. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Carnosaurs aren't large targets, so the bubble is the normal 12" :/, which means it would generally be a better idea not to put your BSB and general on carnosaurs.

7. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Carnosaurs are Large Targets now, in the 7th ed book they weren't :p

8. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Re-reading this tactica has prompted me to drop $70 on ebay for the old Kroq-Gar model to use as a Scar Vet in my army. Next up I'll get a new carno for an Oldblood!

I wish Trogladons were good too, then I'd run 3 giant predators without hesitation. Hell I probably will anyway just because I can!

Kudos to you for the write-up and congrats on your tournament! It's a shame the other players didn't see carno as a good choice even after proving they were viable.

I believe!

9. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

=> Don't hold back! I am enjoying my monster list and it has a Troglodon in it. Currently it also has an Oldblood on Carnosaur, a stegadon, and a Bastiladon. As soon as I scrape together the cash, I will be putting my BSB on a Carnosaur too. Rawr! :)

10. byakhee
    Skink

byakhee New Member

@ZaGreekie

Love the tactica ZaGreekie very informative and fun to read.
    I wish to make the transition to a dual carno list myself but i struggle to
    find out how to use the flyers in the army. Would you mind giving a introduction
    in how to use the flyers in an efficient way and what your goals are during a game.

A small thought..have you played against the new Dark elfs? How would you deal with
    an army full of witches, executioners and bolt throwers?

//Byakhee

11. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

Also regarding the pivoting trick.
    Rulebook nowdays basicly states that models must be facing the the enemy

12. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Just looked it up on page 142 under deployment, and it states no such thing, actually it is a very shot paragraph.

What are you referring to (page number would be nice)?

13. Andy06r
    Saurus

Andy06r Member

I'm late to the party, but I want to give a shout out to the OP for recommending Great Weapons.

Here I was trying to spend my magic allowance. I read the article and realized that if my oldblood dropped the unit champ at I4, I'd lose from static res every time.

By taking a GW, either the Carnosaur kills him and uses Multiple Wounds to get overkill, or the carnosaur wiffs and the GW and thunderstomps gets him.

Brilliant!

14. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

thats a good question :D cant seem to find it myself either.. i do remember reading it somewhere from the book but...
    as does my friend. but i dont know. ill try to dig. maybe ive imagined things.

15. Tom-ash
    Jungle Swarm

Tom-ash New Member

WOW Man!!!

You blow my mind :D
    You point the true.
    Most of mine friends (and me too) treat carno like
    a unit that is nice but not very usefull.
    We just dont find out like it is working :D
    When i read this topic i think i have to by carno and try
    this tactics. When u read this it become to obvious this all
    rules are great and realy usefull in game :D
    Definitly i try this one :]

16. boerwulf
    Skink

boerwulf New Member

Hey thanks for the tactica and effort of making this, loved reading it.

I've just got to ask though, how effective would Gekko'Ekko and an Oldblood Carno be?
    Again loved reading this!

17. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Very tempted to pick up a Carnosaur kit, but they're $100 here in Australia! Which is about 4 hours at work for me....

18. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

If you play with a dual carnosaur list against a frenzied dark elves army, 30 witches, 30 executioners both frenzied with a cauldron of blood which make them reroll to wound and he has reroll to hit because of ASF and higher initiative! Terrorbomb won't work and it often kills you even before you are able to make your attacks!

19. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

I need some advice with items on scarnosaur...
    Unlike the cowboy, scarvet will not have +2 AS, and counts like 1 model, so they can't die separately.

So, i'm trying to give items to my scarvet, that will keep him effective even if carno is dead.
    At this moment i'm thinking about:

LA, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Biting Blade
    or
    LA, Shield, Dragon Helm, Dawnstone, Biting Blade
    or
    Dawnstone, LA, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might

All of this will give 1+ AS even w/o carno.

What option is better?

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Thinking of trying this out against my dwarf friend.
    I'll get tetto'eko along with the dual carnosaurs and probably try and put in 2 stegadons. I also might consider just having one large unit of 6 rippers and one unit of 3 terradons. I haven't looked at the numbers but it should be doable at 2500pts.