1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Cold One Cavalry Tactica (Updated 9/2/09)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Barotok, Jul 31, 2009.

1. J.J.
    Skink

J.J. New Member

Re: Cold One Cavalry Tactica (Updated 8/6/09)

thesecondman - I completely agree with you about Huanchi's - the unit already has issues with reliability, and I've found adding additional uncertainty to their performance doesn't really add anything. Barotok, it might be good to see a point on this in the tactica itself.

Also, since we've been discussing the stupidity issue, it might be interesting to see a breakdown of the actual probability of the CORs failing checks under different circumstances - for example, over a six turn game, what is the likelihood of failing one, two, or three stupidity checks for a standard unit, a unit with a scar-vet, a unit with an old-blood, etc. Might give folks some context within which to discuss the pros and cons. Just my two cents.

2. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

In the games I've played. They've NEVER failed stupidity :meh:

3. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

The tactica outlines that there is an 10% approximate chance of failing the stupidity roll. Simple probability calculations allow you to deduct the amount of projected failures in a 6 turn game (which is obviously less than 1). The odds of failing a stupidity test are lowered drastically over the course of a game if you're able to get the unit into combat (no stupidity test in combat). So considering you should take about 3-4 tests per game (the turns where you're not in combat) the odds go down even further for failure.

However, the other side of the coin is the price of failure. The more you rely on the unit, the more points spent on it and the more critical role it is expected to play in the list, the bigger the disadvantage of a 1 in 10 chance Stupidity turn. It can generate counter charges and destroy your battle line/plan. It can destory your movement strategy if they wander in front of a unit that needs to move. This has to be carefully considered before placing significant reliance on them.

I'd agree that the new totem in 7th edition isn't really as reliable or as good. I'll take a look at the tactica when I get home to make sure that both of these points are accurately reflected.

4. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

i've always found the jaguar standard to be the one to take for the CoR as it all but makes sure that you catch fleeing units and it also sends you into other units quite often which is quite helpful with dealing with stupidity since that is a charge that needs no test but you have to set them up right to do it

5. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

Give it time. In a long enough time line everybodys' life expectancy drops to zero.
    (Gogo gadget Fight Club quote).

6. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Hi all, sorry to rez this post but Caneghem's once again sparked that pea sized brain In my head (Im a saurus at heart) We were discussing a Scar Vet build with the Wardrums of Xahutec (see Scar Vet Tactica) and he mentioned a few very good points about Cold one manouverability.

I thought it may be pertinent as he raises some very good points about manouverability and how sometimes max frontage isn't best.

Example, what if the enemies not at least 80mm wide in the flank? (4 x "mansized" bases) If theres overlap from your saurus unit, then you may only be able to get a few models into B2B contact, meaning the rest of your cav units hanging out the end.

I guess the point Im making is that 5-6 wide may not be the way to go if your looking at a flanking manouver.