1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Darklaw's Seraphon Project.

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Darklaw, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

These four brave fools, will be starting Tomb of Annihilation tomorrow. Really looking forward to running it, as I generally adore the jungle setting. It also gives me a good opportunity, to use a bunch of my seraphon models as enemies for the party.

20191210_225321.jpg

Once again, they are from HeroForge. Had a better idea of what to expect from them detailwise, so I settled on some fairly fast and simple paintjobs. The wizard is a Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures model though, and my SO painted her gnome herself. It's one of her first models ever, so I'm really quite proud of her.

Now, back to the dinos! ...Not sure which dino though.

2. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

So, I've been putting this off for awhile now. As I was deciding which model to paint, my dear muse slammed this down on the table in front of me and told me to stop being afraid of this model.

So, here goes prohect white dinosaur. I have no idea how it's going to turn out.

20191211_173926.jpg

Warden, Cageyblood, Schwaaah and 4 others like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I remember how scared I was of my first (partially white) big model.
    Good luck, I am sure you can make it look good! :)

Cageyblood and Schwaaah like this.
  4. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Really like how well you have painted those HeroForge models! And your photo setting is good too; all four look great in front of that purple sun.

5. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Thanks a lot, both of you :)

December is a busy month, especially because my family seems absolutely hellbent on having all their birthdays in it. Unfortunately, that means not a lot of time for painting. So progress has been fairly limited - Figured I'd share it all the same though.

20200107_161129.jpg

It's moving along, and I have since done a bit of shading on the tail. It feels like it's going to come together, but it is currently at that messy "This looks like shit" stage. Gotta love the Troglodon model though. It just looks so incredibly menacing, and I love the fluff of it. A shame it rarely finds a place in my lists, outside of the occasional summoning.

Speaking of lists, I've actually managed to get in three games in the past month. Tried my hand at the Thunderquake Starhost, and I'm quite pleased with it. It provides a strong core to the army - And the Bastilodon is just a menace to behold. I had mine shoot a Bloodthirster off the table in one round of shooting. Luck was surely a part of it, but I like to think it was the Old Ones plan.

Played a game against the new STD's too. Knight heavy list, and those things sure do pack a punch. And Chaos Warriors do *not* die easily anymore. Two wounds, rerolling 4+ saves. That takes a bit of doing to shift. Absolutely hacked my Carnosaur to pieces. I keep bringing him, and he keeps being a little... Disappointing. One time, he actually managed not to kill even a single dryad (To be fair, that has little to do with his stats, and everything to do with the utterly atrocious rolls I always make for the poor thing). I really hope the carnivore dinos get some love, when our battletome gets an update someday.

Warden likes this.
  6. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Finally made it past that utterly tedious recess shade proces.

20200110_163553.jpg

Now begins the cleanup of the skin, and then hopefully I'll soon be applying some more colors to it. The model should really start to take shape now! I'm excited to see where it goes.

Aginor, Warden, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  7. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Finally started to add some more colors to it. Got some purples on the sail, and it is already starting to vastly improve my opinion on the model.

20200113_124933.jpg
    Still plenty of stuff that needs doing, but it should only improve the look from here :)

Aginor, King Dust, Warden and 2 others like this.
  8. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

A good day of painting, but now my hands are starting to be too shaky to work with. Time to put it down for the day. Hopefully I'll be finished sometime this week.

20200113_233920.jpg

9. King Dust
    Saurus

King Dust Well-Known Member

Love that Trog color scheme!

10. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Thanks a lot. White was very intimidating for me. It's been a bit of a fight to get through it, but here it is: My Troglodon.
    20200121_224313.jpg

Not sure what comes next, but I'll find out soon! :D

11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The recess shade was really worth it. Great contrast!

Warden likes this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Fantastic looking troglodon, love your scalework. Really brought details of that model to life.

13. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Thanks a lot guys, it means a lot to me that people like it. I had been delaying that model for almost a year. I just love the troglodons sculpt, but I wasn't sure how to paint it. Really glad you like it :)

Now i'm just hoping the carnivores get some love with our new book. Super excited for that! In the meanwhile, it looks like I'm getting back on the Stegadon train. Then I'll my most used 2k list fully painted, so that will be nice.

Warden and Aginor like this.
  14. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

So, I was actually making good progress on the Stegadon... But then something changed.

20200302_191954.jpg 20200302_192003.jpg

An escalation league started, so for the next two to three months, I'll be painting up a small DoT army. Then it's back to the lizards - Depending on how the new book turns out, that project may or may not soon be finished too. With the present book, I am almost at the point where I want to be. So It will be interesting to see how that all turns out. :)

Aginor, ravagekitteh and Imrahil like this.
  15. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Busy times. Starting a new job in the middle og an international health crisis does not leave much time for painting. But the escalation league slogs on (Even if social distancing means we cant play :( )

I've managed to reach 900 pts now. The Changeling and 20 Acolytes. I do need 20 more, but I won't be painting them all at once. That was too soulcrushing. I plan to run a Pyrofane Cult, even if the Eternal Conflagration is strictly better. The acolytes are just gorgeous models.

20200503_155409.jpg 20200503_155400.jpg 20200503_155426.jpg

I do plan on getting back to the lizards, once this escalation league hits its end though. :)

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Wow, awesome painted army:artist:

Great job on the flesh tones and the Changeling in general.

Good luck with the new job

Grrr, Imrahil

Nazqua likes this.