1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Did you know...?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinktaco, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Chariots cannot march!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

You can place Scouts within 12 inches of an enemy unit as long as your Scouts are deployed within your deployment zone. As an added bonus, you can declare a charge with them in turn one even if you roll first turn.

This is a great way to make lemonade out of lemons if you lose first drop on Scouting deployments and the enemy drops scouts in your back yard.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  3. CastGaming
    Skink

CastGaming New Member

A quick one. You have to declare all charges, then all charge reactions and then finally roll for charge distances. Sounds stupid but it seems like a lot of people forget this. This is important because if someone declares a charge and then you do the charge reaction and charge distance and then they want to declare another charge it means that they cannot.

4. T_Saurus
    Cold One

T_Saurus Member

Just want to clarify this some more.
    You don't declare all charges, then he declares all charge reactions.

It's on a charge/react sequence. E.g. Unit A declares a charge how do you react? OK Unit b declares a charge how do you react etc. If your opponent elects to flee you can redirect to a new unit. Once all of these charges and reactions have been completed then you roll to see what units complete their charges and move them in

5. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Necromancy Black New Member

And you order in which you move charging units does not have to match the order that chargers were declared.

6. Jinxed Mojo
    Skink

Jinxed Mojo New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lore of beasts lore attribute states that:
    "If a spell from the Lore of Beasts is targeted on one or more units of war beasts, cavalry, monstrous beasts, monstrous cavalry, chariots, monsters, swarms or any unit from the Warhammer Armies: Beastmen, then the casting difficulty of the spell is reduced by 1.".
    It doesn't specify that it has to be a friendly unit, so you can curse and spear enemies of these types with reduced casting value.
    This is something I've never thought of!

7. WithCarbos
    Skink

WithCarbos New Member

Skirmishers and lone infantry characters are Stubborn if the majority of their unit is in a forest.

Lizards of Renown and airjamy like this.
  8. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Although still questionable in my mind, an opponent can reform a large unit into something like 20+ wide (my opponent went from 10 in horde formation to 24 goblins wide). If they make a charge against something close, and get the roll they need, the wheeling of 20+ wide may well bring them into contact with something you have been keeping out of the fight such as a caster (in my instance it was something crazy like 23" away from the unit. The wording is a bit ambiguous in the rule book however. Anyone know the exact ruling on this one?

9. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

You cannot perform a reform maneuver if any of the involved miniatures move more than the double of his Movement stat.

So next time see what miniature is doing the longest repositioning and see how much distance it will move.
    If it exceed the 2xMovement Stat, that reform is invalid.

Lizards of Renown and airjamy like this.
  10. Prof
    Saurus

Prof Member

do you mean a separate unit/ character to the unit the charge was declared against? I thought you couldn't complete a charge against a unit if another unit/character was in the way, not that the charge completed against the different unit to that declared (or am i just mis-reading your post?!)

11. lizard_sNow
    Cold One

lizard_sNow Member

dont think that a reform can be made when charging. Is that what your opponent did?

12. Jinxed Mojo
    Skink

Jinxed Mojo New Member

You can never engage an enemy unit that you did not declare a charge against. If terrain, another enemy unit or anything else is blocking you in a mannar so that you can't close the door, the enemy has to close the door instead. The only exception I know of is if you overrun into an enemy unit, which counts as a 'second charge'.

BrotherSutek likes this.
  13. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

I did not know about the 2x movement reform, that is a good "did you know"! The reform was on the turn previous to the charge, so that aspect was legit. Like was mentioned, a unit in the way fails the charge, but he did a partial wheel then came forward contacting both units at once. A picture would probably be worth while here. Perhaps ill move this question to the rules section to be better hashed out.

14. Prof
    Saurus

Prof Member

I would say here that the partial wheel should have stopped 1" away from the non charged unit, then you unit that was charged closed the door up to his unit.
    That is assuming his unit managed to make contact with the corner of the unit it charged?
    If it couldn't get into base to base contact the charge wasn't allowed.

15. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Huh, I think I need to revisit charges in the WHB, I was under the impression if given the right circumstances, a charge could put you into combat with two units.

Did you know, a trinket that provides magic resistance works for the entire unit he/she may be in.

16. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

A charge can bring you into combat with two different combats, but that almost always happens because the player receiving the charge wants it to happen.

The units being charged have to be "holding" the same line. When unit A charges into unit X and the only way for those two units to be in contact with each other is if unit A is also in flush contact with unit Y then both X and Y have been charged.

However, you can't wheel yourself into a position where you hit both units at an angle and force them to close the door into you.

double-charge.png

The second unit to be charged can't close the door. It has to be incidental contact that brings them into combat. Otherwise, the charging unit has to wheel in such a way that it does not get into that combat, or it is a failed charge (the charging unit can't reach their target)

17. thegraymist
    Skink

thegraymist Member

Did you know...

That scouts are deployed before vanguard moves. This means scouts stop vanguarding within 12" of them so put them in front of fast armies.

This is especially useful if the opponent has fast cav and you place cheap chameleon skinks in front to control a 24" section of battlefield. It means your opponent cannot vanguard into their zone of control.

To add further insult to injury, if you then take the special character Tetto'ekko, or have Terradons for example, your units can vanguard into that space while your opponent cannot.

18. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The last syllable of palanquin is pronounced like "keen edge" not like "Dr. Quinn medicine woman

19. Korhedron
    Saurus

Korhedron Member

It's been a while, but in these end times even the dead may rise again!
    A dispel also fails, and breaks concentration, if you roll less than 3, even if dispelling casters levels nets him a greater sum total than the casting roll. This lets our solar engine bastiladon be the gem it is.
    You can't opt to use hand weapons if you have special weapons, like halberds.

20. Korhedron
    Saurus

Korhedron Member

Did you know that you can use Sivejrs Hexscroll to turn a combat character, mount and all, into a frog with 1 in all stats bar wounds, no armor or special rules?

If your opponent uses the Ruby ring of ruin, or similar bound spell, he will have no wizard level, and so become a frog on a 2+. This also causes the unit it's in to have 1 in movement, as it's lowest move is 1. Try this against blender vampires and nasty demon Princes with 1-2 levels :)

Scalenex and Jorgik like this.