1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Dumbledore's Army (army shots and new work)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Dumbledore, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Re: Dumbledore's Army (first week of painting)

Thanks mijj22, though funnily enough I must admit that if there's one thing I'm not happy about in my army it's my saurus (all of them; the riders, TG and warriors). Once I run out of new things to paint (EotG and 26 skinks) I intend to repaint my various saurus: more highlights, blending on the belly, some washes, more scale detail. Possibly also a different metal technique. This plan will probably get derailed by unexpected new purchases (I crave my Slann, my list of things to get is a battalion, slann, 3 terradons and then I'll have everything I want. Oh wait, and 2 more krox for variety).

Anyway, today I've done my terradons. I'll touch them up over time, as is my way, but the colour scheme is down (red-brown skin with deep blue-purple scales blended to the same sandy belly as ever, much the same as my steg scheme. The wings are more red and less brown - the phone camera drains colour somewhat). It's really hard to show the wing blending properly as they aren't a flat surface and reflect the terrible light. Also the bend of the wings seems to distort the appearance in pictures. Anyway:

IMG00319-20091007-0058.jpg
    IMG00318-20091007-0058.jpg

2. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

All I could think of reading the title to this was.. "I TOLD you Dumbledore was building an army!"

Really excellent painting, looks like you put a lot of time into those.

3. camo-skink
    Chameleon Skink

camo-skink New Member

Re: Dumbledore's Army (terradons)

EPIC!!!

great skink color scheme! :smug: definitely my favorite! all around army is just as good! keep it up! :smug:

camo-skink

4. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Thanks camo, as you evidently are a skink-connoisseur who cares greatly for our little friends that means a lot. The scheme is actually incredibly simple and easy to paint if you do them en masse. I just 35% finished 19 skinks in 1 hour 30 minutes (15 skirmishers and 4 handlers). Basecoating the sandy parts in dheneb stone is suprisingly the most time consuming part, even though you barely need to be at all accurate, since there is so much of it and the brush dries so quickly with foundation paints. The most annoying bit is definitely doing all the little leather and gold bracelets etc as you keep missing them and I hate using metallic paints (though TG are the masters of this annoyance).

Once my 1.5k is done I may well go over all my skinks and saurus with another layer or two of washes and highlights.

5. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Dumbledore i really like your blending. Can you please give me some steps to follow to make it like in your terradons? :p

Also i love the grey and green marble! would like some steps and water proportions info for that too!

6. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

I'll swap my blending for your highlights.

Firstly it is useful for areas like the wings (or the standard of my CORs) to do a quick rough wet-blend of the basecoat. I used mechrite red to dheneb stone in each case. Then I paint from one end to the other in several overlapping layers of very thin paint. The terradon wings started with red gore/scorched brown in a 50/50 mix to pure red gore, then on to pure desert yellow, then on to near pure bleached bone. Each transition is done in three of four mixes, each getting closer to the next stage. The consistency of each stage is very thin indeed. Halfway between the consistency of milk and the consistency of GW washes. I always mix in a small amount of an appropriately coloured GW wash as I find it helps consistency.

The grey marble is just blending from bleached bone/scorched brown 90/10 down to pure bleached bone (all very thin layers) with a 50/50 mix as the basecoat, then tinting with thinned thraka green and leviathan purple as needed. Veins were then drawn in layers with gradually stronger mixes and then softened with bleached bone washes. There are other tricks like laying down a layer, then moving it about with another dry brush once it is almost completely dry.

7. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Thanks a lot on that! It will sure help me with future skinks crests and i want to try to blend some highlights on my saurus too.

8. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

I like the Kroxigor alot. Especially the scales, what's the recipie for those bad boys? If you don't mind giving up your secrets.:)

9. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Just standard blending between regal blue and skull white with asurmen blue washes to smooth it out inbetween layers as needed.
    It's really sad, he's easily one of my favourite models but there's no room for him in my list! I take him along to my games anyway as a mascot but since I dropped my 11+1+mus skrox unit there's no room for him on the board. I may get another 3 krox as all the models are pretty sweet but that will be a way off due to cost.

10. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

There's 4 of them o_O?

11. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

No only 3 models but I'd want a unit of 4

12. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Why? Seriously, just wondering. i want a unit of them too, so i want to know everything about how to use them (somehow i think the fact they've got great weapons will be useful against WOC :bored: ) :D

13. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

I think the new terradon models suck the old are so much better.
    :beaver:

14. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Some of may have seen but here's a bunch of pictures of my army in action: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202509&page=13

Here are some highlights from that battle:

Here's what I'm starting to work on now. I'll finish the last unit or two of the lizards once I've had a break from them for a while.

IMG00420-20100205-2141.jpg

15. Thunder Lizard
    Skink

Thunder Lizard New Member

wow I love the marbleing. The green and purple are very very cool. I know this is a old post but its new to me great stuff.

Your Friendly Thunder Lizard

16. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

17. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow I don't know how I missed that before, very awesome looking Slann! That is almost what I want mine to be like but I haven't figured out OSL yet. Was there a specific tutorial or technique you used that was helpful?

Very good paintwork on the Dark Elf, but to me he looks a little bit crowded. Maybe my eyes aren't attuned to the dark cousins, there seems too many colours. But thats just me.

18. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

The best guide to OSL I got by PM'ing wappellious, it was really incredibly useful. I tried to read as much about it as possible. The only way to figure it out is to simply try it - no guide can completely prepare you. As is always the way, if I did the slann again now I know it would be much cleaner. Oh well.

I know what you mean, the dark elf does have a lot going on. When the unit gets painted up he will merge into it - things like the red or the armour or the warm ground won't stand out so much as all around will be the same. The purple and the sword should make him stand out nicely.

PS: if you want a massively colourful dark elf mind-shock, try this - http://windycityminiatures.com/Gallery/WarHamFanGallery/WCM_WarHamGallery1.html

19. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah that is a good point, he does stand out more since the rest of the unit is still unpainted. That sorceress... Well, not even Bretonnians should be that bright.

I have wappellious' guide, I will have to look through it again.

20. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

More DE I'm afraid:

Standard.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02290.jpg