1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Effective Army List With Current Collection?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Gogery, May 21, 2018.

1. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Hey all,

I've been trying to get into Age of Sigmar for a while now, but have been held back for various reasons. But with the new edition around the corner, it seems like a better time than ever for me to jump in! Long story short, I am wondering if it is possible to make a decently effective army from my current collection, and what that would be. I don't know what standard points value is for Age of Sigmar either, so don't know where I should be aiming exactly.

Here is what I have:
    1x Saurus Hero on foot (Oldblood/Scarvet)
    1x Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    2x Saurus Hero on Cold One (Oldblood/Scarvet?)
    1x Skink Starpriest
    1x Skink Priest

20x Skinks with Javelin/Shield
    12x Skinks with Blowpipe/Hand Weapon
    16x Saurus Warriors (If at all possible, I'd like to avoid using these until I get replacements; I assembled them when I first got into the hobby and they are a bit of a hackjob)
    10x Temple Guard
    3x Kroxigor
    3x Terradon Riders
    3x Ripperdactyl Riders
    1x Bastiladon (Solar Engine)
    1x Stegadon (Giant Bow, has Skink Chief on top if I want to use it)

I have some more unbuilt skinks and metal Slann Mage Priest in the closet somewhere if necessary.

Do you think I can make a decent list from this at a reasonable points level? I've heard skinks aren't great anymore, and especially so for the configurations I have built. This makes me sad because I like the aesthetic of a primarily skink army. Can javelin skinks be used effectively? Is it terrible my blowpipe skinks have HW instead of shields? I don't particularly want to rebuild them just in case I ever find others interested in 8th Ed.

Thanks guys!

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I am pretty sure we can find something effective and fun to help you get into AoS, so let's see....

Oldblood. There is no Scar-Vet on foot anymore in AoS.

Scar-Vet. There is no Oldblood on Cold One in AoS. (man, it seems WHFB had a lot of different units)

Perfect. That's the best weapon and the Skink Alpha is included in the points anyway.

About the Skinks I strongly disagree if anyone says they are bad. They are awesome for what they do.
    IMO the ideal weapons combination for them is blowpipe and shields, but the other ones will do as well.

You could start off with this list for 1200 points. It is a bit low on wounds but has nice stuff in it to help you learn play the game:

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - General
    - Trait: Master of Star Rituals
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    - Artefact: Prism of Amyntok

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs

Units
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)
    Stegadon (240)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (170)

Total: 1170 / 1000
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 65

If you want to play without the bataillon, just remove it and add an Astrolith Bearer instead. You can also use Terradons instead of Rippers. There are many options. :)

ILKAIN and Crowsfoot like this.