1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even the tallest and proudest of mountains are eroded over time... I'm joining AoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 1, 2020.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

But if the new Primaris were nothing more than a model update for the old Space Marines, then people wouldn't be "forced" to buy the new models. All the old Space Marines would be completely viable and many people with complete armies would just go about fielding their existing force. This way, GW made them feel as though they were different and then incentivized people to invest them in with superior rules. As mere replacements the only reason to upgrade would be for aesthetic reasons, but under the "Primaries" guise, there is both an aesthetic and gaming reason to take the plunge and buy the models.

It was a brilliant financially driven strategy by GW. Crappy for players, but good for GW's bottom line.

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The realmshape can be used in effettive ways but Yes, it's worse than other terrains.
    For the same reason our stronger warscrolls are weaker than warscrolls from other armies:
    We are not a new army, GW has near 0 interest in making seraphon top tier so our rules have just been upgraded. But the new armies are a whole range of new models that can be sold to everyone so they are more powerful and always effettive, without having to rely on synergies and smart play.

Lizerd likes this.
  3. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that they would have to completely revamp the entire space marine codex, plus chapter-specific supplements, and shut down Horus Heresy, just to do that. Granted, I'm specifically looking at my HH/40k Salamanders army with its plethora of combi-weapons, flamers and meltas among the rank-and-file (as befit the Sons of Vulkan), and the general lack of those options in Primaris format leaves much to be desired IMHO.

Lizerd likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You might be right, but I think over time Space Marines are going to be phased out. How many people are going to be buying old school marines from GW? Primaris are the current day Space Marines.

Lizerd and Captaniser like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

At most people buy SM for the things that are not yet updated. So it's just a matter of time to have all the slot replaced by Primaris.
    examples:
    Scouts were still a valid purchase, now we have primaris scouts.
    Devastator squad is still SM only and people can buy them because it's a good unit, but soon we'll have also primaris devastator. And the primaris equivalent of land speeders.

Lizerd likes this.
  6. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

My go-to response for this revolves around Horus Heresy and the cross-compatibility of SM models with successive editions of 40k. That's not to say that there are game-specific units that can't be carried over - indeed, some HH units don't have 40k rules and vice versa - but they'd have to come up with quite the ass-pull to justify forcing veterans and newcomers to ditch their non-HH non-primaris SM collections beyond PROFIT.

I have no problem with people building Primaris-only or HH-only collections if those are what appeal to them, but that's only because I believe that players should be able to play with their toys and not because a game company is trying to shove it down their throats.

7. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

@NIGHTBRINGER dam I just found this thread. For a second I thought it was true, but then I checked the date....

:(

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Welcome to the party. Better late than never! :)

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

*Maniacal tunes* Tham, Tham tham

I think the are back soon... to soon.

Grrr, Imrahil

NIGHTBRINGER and Lizerd like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

As I've mentioned in the Rumour Engine thread, I'd count it on being simply another random character model rather than a full new wave. GW release loads of pointless Stormcast characters for store openings and anniversaries e.t.c. We'll have to wait and see

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Tue, but, if I'm correct, none of them had a Rumour Engine launched before release o_O

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizerd likes this.
  12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Yep, and now there are rumors that GW might be making Primaris CHAOS Marines as well... oy....

Lizerd and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Fabius Bile incoming!

Lizerd likes this.
  14. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Exactly. I would rather get a proper list for Traitor Guard instead. :(

Lizerd likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken them this long. It's a logical step.

Lizerd likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yeah, but it was also logical to wait before the inevitable. After their arrival, the psychic awakening is the first truly big event that involves the whole universe.
    I'm glad. Only Grey Knights are incorruptible!

Lizerd likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't followed 40k for the past decade.

Lizerd likes this.
  18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Wouldn’t be at all surprised, given that the 40K team seem to dream about Imperium vs Chaos crap at night

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

You know what?
    this wouldn't be so bad, if used as plot device to advance the lore.

1 - Chaos is overwhelming, now they're using also our latest most advanced "tools"
    2 - Nids are arriving more numerous than ever
    3 - let's face it, we must temporarily ally with some of the most "reliable" xeno factions, that in some occasions "worked" (albeit briefly) alongside with the imperium: Eldar, Necrons, Tau…
    4 - frail alliances are forged, but since heresy is heresy, tensions increase between factions of the imperium...

Tk'ya'pyk, Lizerd and Nazqua like this.
  20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

But surely this would be a more interesting plot device to advance the lore? We had the plot device of Chaos becoming more overwhelming last time to advance the lore into 8th Edition, it's about time there was a change. Look at AoS where in First Edition Chaos was on the rise, before they were then put on the back-burner for a while in favour of Death when Second Edition came round - if they could do something like that with 40K it would make it so much less monotonous.

It would be great if GW could allow the Tyranids to devour Baal, with the remaining Blood Angels cast out and running away in the style of Battlestar Galactica as part of this plot device, but this current 40K team just don't seem to be brave enough for that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020