1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasy vs AoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by PurpleandGold, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

From another room I yell "KHALIDA!"

2 seconds later an adjoining wall is broken open and khalida Neferher in her glory strides through like the Kool aid man

Seraphandy likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. However, I accept your criticism and shall attempt to insult AoS more eloquently in the future. :D

HeirofCarnage and Seraphandy like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's like what young boys do when they like a girl and don't yet know how to express it. They just tease her endlessly instead of just admitting they got the hots for her. Come on dear slann, you're a bit old for this, admit you like AoS instead of this endless teasing :p

HeirofCarnage and Seraphandy like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Using your analogy, I want absolutely nothing to do with that STD/STI ridden game. I got a much classier girl back home, I'll leave AoS for the rest of the rabble.

:cool:

5. Seraphandy
    Razordon

Seraphandy Well-Known Member

That is an image that will take a while to remove from my brain.......

Canas and HeirofCarnage like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

domainku-com-bfr-grumpy-cat-meme-generator-your-tears_zps471c5cbf.jpg

:):):):D:D:D:):):)

7. Seraphandy
    Razordon

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

NIGHTBRINGER and Seraphandy like this.
  9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I see RAW, untamed power... and beyond that, something truly special!

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Speaking about the end of the oldworld and the rise of AoS, here's an interesting point of view.

Seraphandy likes this.
  11. Seraphandy
    Razordon

So true....

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I absolutely hate the way that scumbag criticises the Dwarfs and glorifies the Empire. The Empire was absolutely the worst thing about the Old World to me, especially with the horrible new State Trooper models. The Dwarfs are even less high fantasy than the Empire - they have no magical spells or monsters whatsoever, but they have helicopters and organ cannons - something he failed to notice. In fact he seems to enjoy making derogatory remarks about any vaguely interesting faction in Warhammer fantasy and glorifying the truly boring ones. Also I really can’t stand how he disses Tolkien - I certainly think it’s much better than Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones is too much about humanity for my liking and too little about fantasy creatures (it isn’t really fantasy if there are fewer fantasy creatures), also the main reason why I prefer the Hobbit to Lord of the Rings. GoT is also over-sexed and over dramatic in terms of violence, whereas Tolkien has it just right. I think it will never become embarrassing, especially with Peter Jackson’s amazing films.

I think it’s sacrilege that he’s trying to compare any type of Warhammer to Magic: The Gathering - Magic is nothing compared to any type of Warhammer - Even AoS wipes the floor with Magic. I can’t stand the fact that there are loads of Magic players at my university’s games society and so few Warhammer players - I keep thinking “Get a life and play Warhammer instead”, although I don’t say such things because naturally I don’t want to spoil other people’s enjoyment. Nevertheless I really am disgusted by the attitude of whoever wrote that. I reckon NIGHTBRINGER would have a heart attack if he read that article. Also I would have much rather seen the Empire be retconned because they had such a horrible aesthetic. Skulls all over the place - uurgh. Horrible. Instead GW retcon the much nicer-looking Bretonnian models and units, a real travesty.

The only thing I agree with this idiot about is the originality of the Dwarfs - I do agree that the fantasy Dwarfs are similar to Tolkien ones, even though I love both so much, and to see the vastly different Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords appear is really exciting for me (more Dwarfs to add to my collection). I reckon he’ll be pleased to see the Slayers amplified as the year have been and the introduction of the Kharadron.

pendrake, Canas and HeirofCarnage like this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, I'm not saying I agree with him, but at least he's adding something to the discussion. He is biased toward many things, but certainly one consideration is true: the old world was full of references to real world and classic fantasy, while a new system could (on paper) bring new ideas.

The fact that old lore was largely enjoiable exactly for those reasons, is another matter...

HeirofCarnage, Seraphandy and Aginor like this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

god what a terrible article.. With defenders like that @NIGHTBRINGER wont have to try hard to convince people aos is bad...

also calling warhammer high fantasy is rather a stretch... its not as grimdark as 40k but its nowhere near high fantasy...

but really his only "point" is that it allows gw to do new things. I dont think anyone disagrees with that and we dont need articles like this to point it out...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I do agree that AoS has less similarity with our own world than fantasy but for me that’s one of the reasons why I like fantasy so much - you can more easily relate the factions and more easily imagine their styles of fighting.

16. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

HeirofCarnage Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the article- right up until he started attacking Tolkien. He claims

"Just as reading Howard’s Conan saga or Lovecraft’s mythos can be occasionally difficult due to changing cultural sensibilities since the early 1900s, Tolkien’s mythology will eventually go the same way in time – enormously respected sure, well written at times, but also somewhat embarrassing. Unlike Tolkien, Warhammer has a chance to reinvent itself."

This is bullshit. Tolkien has been around for ages. And his work is actually good.
    Which is something that young esquire forgot in his article. Why does he think that Tolkien's work will go away? Because of:

"changing cultural sensibilities"

AKA snowflakes get triggered by a literary work of art like the Lord Of The Rings because of their libtard "everything written by a white male is neonazi propaganda" mentality.

It is repugnant to me, that these "Special Snowflakes" think that their little opinions are facts.
    Example:

"Tolkien’s mythology will eventually go the same way in time"

It "WILL go away with time"??? Does he have a time traveling device? How does this libtard know that it WILL go away? Like I said before to @NIGHTBRINGER , if you are stating your opinion, and not fact, do not pretend like your opinion is a fact!!

Sorry to rant, but I love Lord Of The Rings, and hearing snowflakes like this write up these criticising articles about what others did wrong with their lives (while doing nothing with their own life mind you) pisses me off.

~Carnage

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

to be honest, I'm not even sure what in Tolkien's work is supposedly culturally insensitive...

18. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

The fact you would be so insensitive by saying that is proof that you are a white supremacist neonazi! *he said in a sarcastic voice

In all reality, everything that white males write is racist, homophobic, transphobic, and neonazi propoganda. "If you have an opinion differing from mine, then- then (weak chin trembles in self-righteous, impotent rage) then you are NEONAZI!

Basically, if you disagree with them, you get called names. Neonazi now, stinky butt tomorrow. Honestly, when antifa and all of these snowflakes start calling names, I see my five year old niece saying "you poop your butt". (And yes, she says that) I don't see anything to prove their insults.

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed - how can anyone dis Lord of the Rings in such a way?

I don’t know whether you are being sarcastic or are actually accusing white males here, as you are a white male as well so you would be accusing yourself.

HeirofCarnage likes this.
  20. HeirofCarnage
    Terradon

Don't genderfie me! :joyful:

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic. I was simply stating what they think. The really do believe that shit. And that, my dear @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl is why we should put these Antifa thugs in an home. (If you don't know what that means, think insane asylum)

They are just angry because Tolkien was able to live in his own house, and they have to live with mommy dearest. Maybe if they wrote a good book, then they could afford a house to call their own.