1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First completed model

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Monorailpig, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

Hey folks,

I bought the start collecting box and got most of the way to finishing the guard when I decided to get a fancy model to have some fun with.

Behold, my first painted (minus the horns on the bottom and I think I am going to wash the horns again) miniature!

Comments would be appreciated, a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶u̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶i̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶

Is there anything else that I missed that needs to be painted?

froge.jpg

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very nice, a metallic Slann?

I think the whole model would benefit from a glaze but leave it for now until you become more confident, a fine first miniature ;)

LizardWizard, Imrahil and Monorailpig like this.
  3. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

It looks metallic in the picture but its actually the martian green chameleon paint from greenstuffworld.

What is a glaze? I wont rush to put one on til I am more confident but I am always eager to learn and plan future steps

LizardWizard, Imrahil and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Ahhh nice idea.

A glaze is a very thin shade you use it to add a bit more definition to your models, it just flows into the recesses to create more depth/shade.

5. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

Ahh I see, I did use reikland fleshshade in a few places here and there, would it just be a case of thinning it down with something then putting it all over?

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yes but please don't do it until your confident, it takes a while to get the hang of how a glaze flows etc, too much and you can end up with stains and water lines, apply thin coats and leave to completely dry before adding another.

Use acrylic medium to thin or you can use flow improver and as a last resort good old water.

7. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

Roger wilko, using shade alone was a bit of a weird thing for me full stop so I will definitely leave it for now. Last time I had done painting of any sort was in school, so very wet behind the ears even with youtube tutorials and such

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Nice Slann. The sky weeps stars of joy at the arrival of a new Servant of the Old Ones.

Also, If you used a color shifting paint don't glaze over it. The stone, stomach, critters, and vines are all ideal targets for controlled washes and/or glazes.

Imrahil likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Not bad at all!
    I would also recommend a little shade over a few parts, especially over the skin.
    Reikland flesh shade (or any other equivalent flesh shade of any paint company) will do fine there, thinned down a bit with acrylic medium or (carefully) with water.

But before putting it on your Slann I recommend painting something else, like some left over bit that has a nice structure, with your skin tone, and shade it.
    That way you will see how much shade you can have on your brush to achieve thin or thick shades, and won't ruin your Slann in the process.

LizardWizard and Monorailpig like this.
  10. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

Thanks for the tip, I did put some flesh shade in the creases. Should I use thinned down fleshshade all over the skin? Is this like the glaze that Crowsfoot suggested or a different step

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The answer to that question is... more complex than you think.
    TL;DR version: Everything you have been told is a lie. Shades, glazes, inks, base colors, layer colors, edge colors and drybrush colors, or whatever the companies might call them, are all the same thing. They are a medium with an amount of pigments in it. They mostly vary in thickness and amount of pigment.

However, we have given things different names depending on what to do with them.
    Shades and glazes are quite similar. Both are thin, with not a lot of pigments so they are not made for covering but for adding a translucent layer. Shades are dark, glazes are bright colors.

Shades are used for, well, shades. They make recesses darker to add the impression of shadows on the model.

Glazes are used for adding a translucent tint over surfaces. They also like to flow into the recesses, but they don't make them as dark as shades. So you could give lines a glow for example. Because of their transparency glazes work mostly over bright base colors such as white, skin tone, bright green or blue, or something along those lines. Some glazes also add a bit of gloss to a surface.

LizardWizard and NIGHTBRINGER like this.