1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The April Poetry Contest has opened for voting! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

AoS Flying Rules...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by jevan, Aug 15, 2017.

1. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Same philosophy as modeling a 3 foot long spear and using it to get a level 1 charge off. You have to pay for the movement of the spear. It's so ridiculously stupid to measure from parts of the model

pendrake likes this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Chief

pendrake Well-Known Member

The deeper one digs into the details the sillier this gets...

...no wonder all the serious WFB players anywhere near me went KoW and didn't look back.

m0gstar likes this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Skink Chief

Killer Angel Well-Known Member

...no wonder all the serious WFB players anywhere near me play AoS, measuring from base to base.

Seraphage and Ecozh like this.
  4. Aginor
    Skink Chief

Aginor Well-Known Member

As much as I'd want flying rules that are a bit better (and some others agree) they are hardly a problem. Most players I know just settled for "flying means moving normally but ignoring terrain" and that's it. Everyone plays base2base measurement anyway.
    Even most of the former WHFB players that were AoS haters play it in the meantime, and most of those I talked to now admit that after the GHB and the first battletomes got much better. Some even say they like most of the changes in the game itself, they are just sad about the lore and ignore parts of it. :)

5. pendrake
    Skink Chief

pendrake Well-Known Member

I don't understand the bolded words. Explain more please?

I have zero playing XP with AoS. Have Read the rules a couple of times. (I don't remember anything about paying extra movement for weapons.)

6. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

I'll illustrate in a bit. Basically if you measure from. The carnosaur model, no part of the model can move further than it's mo characteristic, so swinging the spear around to reach an enemy uses part of your movement in the rules as written. But as others have mentioned, I and about 99% of aos players just measure from the base

jevan likes this.
  7. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

So movement, as written, is done from parts of the model. in the picture below the tip of the spear is used. so no part of the model can move more than the movement characteristic. as shown below.

Stupid measuring in AoS.jpg

Now for the really really stupid one. In this example, it's to show that the movement with a ridiculous model is the same. In this case, the carnosaur has a spear that is 2.5ft long and how he must move. If you measure from the spear tip, the model cannot move at all and can just rotate.

This is why measuring from base to base is so much better.

More stupid Aos movement.jpg

tom ndege, jevan and Aginor like this.