1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Flying Saurus of Doom!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by novatomato, Aug 13, 2013.

1. colinsb
    Skink

colinsb New Member

One question, why the Arabyan Carpet and not the Cloak of Feathers?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

As far as I know the cloak of feathers is still Skinks only... :(
    But if it isn't that would be awesome. :)

3. colinsb
    Skink

colinsb New Member

Haven't got the now Army Book but Army Builder lets you put the CoF on to an Oldblood.

4. Knight Errant
    Saurus

Knight Errant New Member

It's skink only

5. asianavatar
    Skink

asianavatar New Member

I just came across this thread and have been laughing at the idea. For a modeling idea I am thinking more of a superman style cape flying forward with a sword and shield.

6. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Whats that in the sky? Is it a terradon? Is it a Ripperdactyl? No! it's SUPERSAUR!!!!!!!

StinkySkinky likes this.
  7. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Does the increase in mobility compensate for the lack of equipment he can take as opposed to a cowboy type build? Gotta say, I'm intrigued, but this setup:

GW
    Stegadon Helm
    4+ward
    OTS
    Cold One

has been tough to beat so far.

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Cowboys are always great, but I think there are some unique things you can do with an Oldladdin. It's all about flying over the tops of things and having a huge threat range.

9. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

You also don't have to worry about Stupidity; and its cheaper (means you can bring more Slann toys).

10. gutpaunch
    Skink

gutpaunch New Member

Loved the idea of the flying saurus of doom so I modelled one using the GW plastic Saurus Oldblood standing on the finecast Tetto'eko flying palanquin and he looks awesome!

Plus that gives me the seated Tetto'eko as a contemplative skink priest so its win win win! :)

cant wait to use them :)

11. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Old Blood needs a cape.

I like that you get a 4+ look out.

12. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Pics? :D

13. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

Today I played a 1500 point game against Empire. I had enough of warmachines so I gave an Oldblood the flying carpet, Charmed Shield and Talisman of Protection.

The battle went like this:

The Oldblood flew in from the front of his army straight into the Hellblaster, clawing his way though the crew and damaging the machine beyond repair. That should save much of his fragile Skink and Ripperdactyl army. The Oldblood then had eyes for the Grand Master & Warrior Priest in a unit of Inner Circle Knights and quickly dived into the flank.

The two Lizardmen & Empire Generals battled it out, the unit staying back, watching and wondering who would be the one to live. The Empire armed with Runefang (no armour saves) attacked at the Oldblood who was able to easily defend with his Charmed shield and Will of the Old Ones (4++ save). The Lizard gave a roar and clawed at the Grand Master, nearly tearing his arm off. The human's thick armour proved difficult to break though, and it was by good fortune that a nearby Skink Priest could offer the additionally Strength and Toughness (I was able to cast Wildform most turns of this combat)

The Empire General, who came so close to death, became enraged & desperate and began swinging eagerly in act of survival. The human atop his steed circled the Oldblood, swinging his magical blade. Even the Lizardmen General found it difficult to defend against the quick series of attacks. The Old Ones did not think the Oldblood was worthy for their protection if he could not even defend against this puny human, and so did not offer any. The sword came swinging and sliced across the lizard’s chest, dropping the Oldblood to one knee.

The lizard grasped his serrated dagger, rose back to his feet and stared General down, ready to fight again. The Grand Master found it hard to believe that the large lizard was still able to continue fighting despite how weakened we was. The human became anxious at this point, but with a series of skilled blocks he was able to save himself once again against the resolute lizard.

The Grand Master decided he had enough of this battle against the lizard and commanded the Warrior Priest to take care of the situation (I’m not sure if this was legal or if they were meant to keep on fighting. I wasn’t thinking clearly, but on with the story…). The Empire General paced back into the safety of his unit of Knights and allowed the Warrior Priest to take his place. As he strode forward, the Warrior Priest readied his Great Hammer with both arms and prepared to attack.

The Oldblood had regained his strength and sliced the Warrior Priest’s horse out from under him before he had a chance to strike with his heavy weapon. He grasped the Priest’s head, removed it and displayed it to the Grand Master and Knights. The unit was so stunned by this that they decided they did not wish to face a death like that. The Grand Master, now with no body guard, ordered a retreat in hope that he would preserve his and his faithful unit’s lives.

The Lizardmen General pursued after the Knights, but unfortunately could not keep up. The General and his unit thought they had escaped, but a nearby unit of Ripperdactyl riders thought different. They ensured that he would not live to tell the tale, and charged after the Grand Master and his Knights, demolishing them beyond all hope of recovery.

The Oldblood looked around the battle a noticed the humans fleeing, they had successfully broken the lines of the Empire troops… but at what cost? The many Skink Skirmishers were either lost in combat or fled from battle. The Ripperdactyl riders were diminished once they hit combat. The Lizardmen General regrouped what army he had left and pursued the Empire troops away from the path to the city. It was indeed a victory for the Lizardmen this day, but the Slann Mage Priest would not be too happy of the losses.

Tlaxbitza likes this.
  14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nicelyly done. the oldones approve of this feat of savage skill.

15. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

I've used the Oldladdin twice so far. In the first game, he got pounced on by an Ogre Kingdoms Special Character, and the two fought each other to death over two rounds (the Oldladdin got a ton of attacks through, and the SC got the Killing Blow he needed).

In the second game he stalled on the starting line; failing a 20" charge in the first turn. But on the second turn, he got a charge into 3 Skullcrushers. Only one wound was dealt to them; but evidently an Oldblood in the face at mach 5 is enough to unnerve even the most frenzied Chaos Warrior, for they promptly failed their breaktest and legged it, only to be run down. In turn 3 he went and sat in front of 12 Nurgle Warriors and dared them to charge him, and bravely did they accept. Despite taking 2 wounds, the Oldladdin chopped up fully half their number in the first round of combat, and the rest got run down in the second. You can read about this one in my Battle Report thread.

Highlight so far: rolling 3 6s for a whopping 8 attacks in one round of combat. Saurus heroes are machines with Predatory Fighter! But what I like so much about him is that he hits most things on 3s with his WS6. That's really, really rare for a Lizardman army to achieve without buffs.

16. Knight Errant
    Saurus

Knight Errant New Member

I've used him twice - first game he chomped 2 cannons, and then wore down a unit of 4 demi-grpyh knights before being whittled down. second game not so successful - failed charge bottom 1, even with the vanguard move from tetto-eko, then got purple sunned.

17. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

*Casts thread necro*

So did anybody bite the bullet and model up a Flying Oldblood? I've got the Kroq-Gar model from the new Carnosaur kit, but have been casting about looking for a suitably arcane/ruined device to use as the 'carpet'.

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

19. Knight Errant
    Saurus

Knight Errant New Member

So, I've played about 15 games with this guy. He's my new go-to lord choice. In small games he wrecks face. People just aren't used to this type of build yet. In larger games he's great too because you can get into targets faster (more to choose from). I love the 4+ LOS for staying near infantry units - makes him much more survivable vs. the lone cowboy trying to sprint across the battlefield - especially since no one usually runs a delivery system.

He's died a few times (stupid purple sun), but he usually survives and really messes with my opponents' game plans. The silver lining to only being Ld 8 is this guy doesn't have to be the general.

My usual build is flying carpet, 4++ talisman, charmed shield, light armor comes in at a cool 249. 5 S5 T5 2+/4++ eats chaff and can hold up reasonably well to S4 or lower attacks.

20. ColdB1ood
    Skink

ColdB1ood New Member

I'm loving the idea of Oldladin :)
    I'll be running the st7 2+/4++ one in 1500pt list at the club this Thurs. Along side a skink chief on terradon and Tetto'eko.
    Vanguarding Oldladin!!
    Ok no turn 1 charge but Oldladin will be in the enemy deployment in my 1st turn. That should cause some mayhem! !