1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcement FORUM CLOSING

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sammy the Squib, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Sad news indeed! I hope things can be worked out. Perhaps GW can make a small donation to our continued existence, given the free publicity that we continuously generate for their models and rules. Granted, not everything we say is propaganda, but that's what White Dwarf is for....

I'll continue to monitor this and help to whatever extent that I can. My plog here is rather large and frankly I have no idea how I'd move it or save it, or even if that is possible at all. With the new book coming out, I was planning on more regular updates to it. Not to mention the friendships I have here that I would hate to lose. Thanks and best wishes!

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I too hope something can be worked out. I'd hate to see this forum closed. Like Sammy said, it's quite the community here.

3. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Don't believe anyone need to worry about the site going down.

From what I understand there is several of us that has offered to take over hosting the site. So it is up to Sammy to decide what steps/direction he want to take. In the end I am certain whatever he decide will be to the best of the community.

To be honest, the traffic the site receives is not that high. Don't take me wrong, the forum does receive a fair bit of traffic for its genre, but compare to some of the clients we manage who need their own server parks and run through TB of bandwidth each month, it is an easy site to handle.

4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Ha, that made me laugh!

But yes, considering the fair amount of people throwing themselves to help, i'm sure it'll be fine.
    I say that, but this could be all a dastardly ruse to undermine us Lizard forum by the Skaven lot!
    (I don't mind helping out with any admin' duties - my Msc restricts my time somewhat though)

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Future plans aside, I'd personally like to thank you Sammy, and the mods, for all the work you've put into making this place great. You've somehow fostered a great community, and the people at the helm have to get some credit for that! :D
    You must be stoked to see what, I imagine, started as a small personal side-project, then turn into something that other people value so much. I know I've enjoyed all my time lurking on here, trawling through all the old gems people have left behind, and seeing all the crazy conversion and painting ideas get bounced around.
    So thanks!

And people, don't forget the donate button at the bottom of every page ;P

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Yes, well it was written rather tongue-in-cheek :p

7. Andrinor
    Saurus

Andrinor Member

As long time lurker on the forum I would really like to see Lustria online continue. Actually, I've had an account for a long while but never logged in and posted but this topic prompted me to do so - and I look forward to being a part of the community.

I hope the site can be moved over to someone who is more able to keep up with it. I've been apart of long running forums and see them die and it was a real bummer. I've seen forums and other similar community based sites have Donate buttons that were linked to a Paypal account. I would bet that many users of the forum would be interested in throwing in $5 a year to help keep the site running.

Edit: And as I finished typing this I saw the Donate button....duh. Well anyway....

8. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

Are there even any other Lizardmen forums?

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

To my knowledge, there are no others.

10. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

There can be only one...

11. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

It would still be prudent to save any content of plogs/blogs etc that you have not done so already or is not posted on other sites.

I was an admin on librarium-online some years back, their lizardmen section still seems active

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/lizardmen/

it may be a useful "rendezvous point", should one be needed.

12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

To be blunt Sammy, what exactly is needed (in every aspect) to save this forum?

13. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

As mentioned earlier in a PM, I can take over the hosting and management (with the help of the current moderators if they want to stay on) of the forum if desired, through my company.

We can have the entire site transferred off your server and have it running from one of ours, in less than 24 hours. Moving a site like this should not cause any issues.

Having the resources and a professional team to do the updates, I also see several things we can update over time, like having the ability to add the images directly to the paint blogs for example (by utilizing CDN the bandwidth cost for this will be very little). Updating the bot protection system, would also be something that would be nice to do.

If you are worried that the offer is not serious, then I can offer to transfer a symbolic amount to you for the site and the work you have put into the community up to now. The amount can be discussed by PM.

I would hate to see a community and resource like this go away, true I am more of a lurker myself, but I still enjoy reading the paint blogs and the different topics regarding strategy and rules. When looking at it, I believe we have more active people that only lurk, than active posters.

Please note that I am not making this offer by expecting to make any money off the community or site. We have a spot in the budget that we use to help local community clubs with hosting and managing their web presence, so this would come under the same post, only difference is that it is not local.

SlanntaClause and airjamy like this.
  14. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

@Thereddevil,

I owe you a beer mate, it's really nice to see so many people happy to help keep the place going.

15. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Re: FORUM CLOSING (Not closing just following up)

Firstly I apologize for bumping this thread up but it showed up under my view new posts this morning so I had to comment. How is the forum and website doing? If we wanted to donate how could we do so.

Been a big fan of this site for a long time and finally in the last year or so started posting and meeting these nice chaps.

16. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

There's a Paypal 'Donate' button at the bottom of every page.

TheRedDevil - you're amazing, that offer sounds great: I hope Sammy agrees!

17. Anomic
    Skink

Anomic New Member

Just have to say as anew member to the forum, though I rarely venture out of the painting section... this is a wonderful community, and it's really impressive to see so many people express how much they appreciate the aspects that they love about these forums.

18. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Lol yep. there it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.