Foundation paints

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Apr 20, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, I suspect I am not using the foundation paints properly or simply don't get them.. I thought the idea was higher pigment level so they need less coats to paint on as a base coat. Problem is straight from the bottle they seem too thick to paint right on a model, it would obscure detail. But if you water them down a bit they don't cover any better than normal paints..... Am I missing something?? :jawdrop:

Though I only do have one at the moment, and that is macharius solar orange..

2. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

SimonTheSorcerer New Member

I used the foundations on my lizzies and it didnt obscure any detail, i didnt water them down but i always removed a fair bit of paint from the brush before applying the coat. Have you tried that?

And have you noticed they smell foul! There supposed to be odourless apparently o_O

3. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

the smell? oh boy are you missing out. try tasting them. im of the school of thought were a little lip action helps a brush along....but after my fist encounter with a foundion paint...im much more carefull

4. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

rofl! i might try it if im THAT bored, on the same note, has anyone ever had a drink sat next to their water pot, and accidentally rinsed their brush in a glass of Coke and then wondered why it tasted slightly funky? :D

and Strewart, i just messed around with the paints and found that it really does help just to wipe the brush on a piece of tissue before applying the paint, and if it does go wrong, it spreads quite nicely and even if you take a dry brush to it to correct it.

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I find they still have good coverage when they're watered down.
    This Salamander was painted with one coat of Necron Abyss, which was watered down plenty. There's a little bit of highlighting done on the head, but that's pretty much it.
    DSCN1658.jpg

6. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yep, the foundations sure do smell and taste a lot worse than normal paint. I wonder how the blue foundation tastes? Normal blue paint tends to taste better than the other colours, brown is terrible.

You think its bad washing your brush in coke? I have done that a few times, but what is worse is accidentally grabbing the paint water jar and taking a swig rather than the coke glass. :oops:

The salamander does look cool.. Is it drybrushed on? No ink or anything? Maybe some foundations are better than others. The orange wasn't as bright as what I wanted, I should have got fiery orange or something instead since most of the time it will be at least the third highlight layer over black anyway so wouldn't need a huge coverage.

I will try foundation straight from the pot and see how it goes.

8. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

i cant taste them anymore, i brusk lick so much to get them to a point that the taste doesnt bother me anymore lol,

foundation paints are brilliant for drybrushing,
    i mainly use them for his and also mixed with alot of water in my spraygun
    nothing quiet looks like desert colour scheme with normal paints but with the foundations :D

9. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

LOL!