1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS General's Handbook Leaks

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Iskander, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Anybody else feel that Tree & Spite Revenants are WAY overcosted? I mean, just comparing them to Saurus... kinda bizarre. Can't wrap my head around the high points cost.

In case anyone hasn't seen the leaks: a Spite/Tree-Revenant model costs twice as much as Saurus.

Spites don't really seem to put out wounds (like 1 or 2 per model before saves), they're slow, poor save, poor bravery... so not seeing a to of useability out of them unless the battalions hold the secret.

Tree Revenants are a good deal better as the more 'martial' choice, but even then... not a lot of punch or survivability coming from that unit. I dunno.

Maybe the idea is to adopt Sylvaneth-specific terrain to beef them up, but even that will kind of raise the points-per-model. Whether it's enough to make them worth it remains to be seen, I guess.

2. Skorp
    Saurus

Skorp Active Member

Bowser and Wazz like this.
  3. Thor0298
    Saurus

Thor0298 Member

I played with them this weekend. I agree. They had zero impact at all

Wazz likes this.
  4. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

On the flipside, I feel that Kurnoth Hunters are pretty undercosted.

They can put out some really fantastic damage (either in CC or at range), and theyre seriously tanky. 4+ re-rollable save with 5 wounds and decent bravery? Yes please. Coupled with an abundance of healing abilities available to Sylvaneth and they become a real threat. All for a bargain 180 points for 3!

Totally unrelated note, they make a fantastic gunline alongside a bastiladon ;)

Bowser and Wazz like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I don't know...
    haven't played against them, so i'm just judging them on paper.

Tree can be sufficiently dangerous in combat, due to rend -1, what sells them is the ability to move within S. Wyldwood: spam wyldwood on the battlefield, and you can have a unit capable of distant objectives control. And Martial memory can be really useful.

Spite seem worthless... unless you plan some tactic to exploit battleshock (in combination with seraphon? ;)).

they don't seem bad, but certainly you had to work a lot on them.
    There are many units that are actually overpriced: TK's Skeleton hormemen is another one... and yet I'm planning to use them anyway! :D

Bowser likes this.
  6. Thor0298
    Saurus

Thor0298 Member

I played sylvaneth vs flesh eaters this weekend. Sylvaneth were man handled badly. Even the healing and hunters having reroll fail saves they majorly underperformed. Two turn game

7. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I've payed two games with scenarios from the General's Handbook - My impressions are the scenarios are wel thought out and good fun to play - points are fairly baanced but not perfect (few units overcosted) - Armies are generally a bit smaller that 100 pool SCGT forces.

Iskander, Bowser and Wazz like this.
  8. Justin Wiley
    Jungle Swarm

Justin Wiley New Member

I agree. The Slann Starmaster went from 100% must (imo) to basically "eh, in matched play might as well not even use him" I will say one way to utilize this new mechanic(s) of summoning for Seraphon is as follows. The new release of General's Handbook FAQ states that your summoning pool, the "reserve points", CAN infact exceed the limitations to Leaders and Behemoths in your army. So in like a 2000 pt game (what people are talking about being "standard"), you can bring 3 Behemoths in your army, and then in your reserve list, you can bring any number of Behemoths that will not count towards the cap. And unlike almost every other Allegiance, Seraphon can bombard the field with Behemoths. I think they can summon more than any other force if I'm not mistaken. Yes, it BLOWS that only Slann's can summon from the standard summoning spells throughout the army. And it blows that even tho we can technically break the behemoth and leader cap, the fact that these are still DICE ROLLS and can very easily fail, really leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

2nd Note. about the Engine of the Gods. It states in the FAQ that abilities, NOT SPELLS, but passive abilities that bring on more units/models to your table DO NOT COUNT AS SUMMONING in the sense that, you do not need to pay any reserve points for models or units that are added to the table this way. Like Engine of the Gods, or Alarielle etc.

So theoretically you could build a list of like 1200-1300 ish points then leave a few hundred in reserve to summon a ton of monsters or heroes. or just use engine of the gods and hope for that 14-17, then you can literally summon anything Seraphon you want lol.

9. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

Can you point me in the direction of your source for 'abilities' that summon not counting towards your reinforcement points please?

10. Thor0298
    Saurus

Thor0298 Member

I don't see that for the summoning abilities either. I agree kroak and Slann are so heavy costed now I see them as almost worthless to take pointswise.

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

No.

A Slann costs 260 points, and they're all well spent:
    First, the flexibility that summoning gives to you, especially playing with objectives, is still golden, so it's a good tactic to spare some points to summon something.
    Second, the Slann gives to you the 2 basic spells and the chance to dispel enemy's magic. And Arcane Vassal can only help your threatening range.
    Third, the Constellation gives you great boosts.
    Fourth, the command ability of the Slann is far from bad.

Kroak is costly, yeah, but there's nothing that can compete with his magical bombardment. At 2000 pts he's definitely playable.

Wazz likes this.
  12. Thor0298
    Saurus

Thor0298 Member

I suppose I see Slann. Kroak I still don't know I've played with some pricey big guys. I just don't know if he puts out enough damage. Although I suppose now that we can summon over limits you could summon a bastiladon every turn. No one could handle 5-6 of those on the table

Wazz likes this.
  13. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I think the Slaan pricing is fine. As Killer Angel noted, you get a lot for the points. I also like the 3" range on his lightning attack.

Wazz likes this.
  14. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Does a Stegadon that carries a skink alpha cost more? There doesn't seem to be any specific cost for the alpha in the photos ?

Thanks in advance

Bowser likes this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Nope, costs the same either way.

benclark and Seraphage like this.
  16. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Awesome !
    Thank you once again Bowser. Always ready and willing to help !

Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The man is a hero and legend! :)

3 cheers for the all mighty @Bowser !

Wazz, Seraphage, Crowsfoot and 3 others like this.
  18. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping they will bring more updates for the Seraphon soon. After all, all those expensive costs are based on the Slann and Lord Kroak being able to summon as they see fit. Not with the reserve points being taken into account.

Bowser likes this.
  19. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Last time I checked if your race doesn't have a way to summon then reserve points are worthless, it doesn't work the same as in 40K. With that in mind their costs are fine and Kroak's ability is worth that much.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

True, but unfortunately he is a bit expensive right now.

Wazz likes this.