1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS General's Handbook Points Reflection

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by InfamousBeany, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

@m0gstar I didn't think you could summon killed units? I thought they still came out of your reinforcement requirements?

2. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

I do not believe that Seraphon have the ability to reinforce slain units through summoning. I think that is only Undeath. If you can find some verbiage in the handbook that would elude to that and post it that would be great.

The General's Handbook states:

"Sometimes a spell or ability will allow you to add units to your army, or replace units that have been destroyed. In a Pitched Battle, you must set aside some of your points in order to be able to use these units..."

later:

"Spells or abilities that allow you to add models to existing units don't cost you any reinforcement points. However, in a Pitched Battle, spells or abilities cannot increase the number of models in a unit to more than it had at the start of the battle."

So back to the original point, the EoTG is not reliable as a summoning tool, but rather, as someone pointed out, a support unit for a Slann. I was really hoping that it would be a reliable independent unit to take, but the randomization leaves much to be desired. Again, hopefully they errata it to allow you to downgrade the cast to the spell below it, just as the 18+ roll states. I guess time will tell.

I did field an EoTG in a battle last night vs my Dwarven (Disposssed) friend. We played a 2000 point battle from generals handbook. He conceded on turn 4. During my phases, EoTG rolled heal first round (which did nothing) and then in the subsequent turns rolled the D6 mortal wound 25" range ability which was nice. So he fared pretty well. I don't have photos, but wouldnt mind writing a small BR from memory if you would like.

If you have played with an EoTG since General's Handbook was released, please let me know how it all went :)

PartyFoul and Bowser like this.
  3. PartyFoul
    Skink

PartyFoul Member

Regarding summoning, I'm going off of p. 5 of the FAQ:

Q: When models are slain and removed from play, can they be brought back into play as new models using abilities or spells that allow you to summon new models?

A: Yes

This is the Rules FAQ, v 1.0, from the AOS app, dated June 2016. To me, this seems consistent with the GH excerpts you posted, since you couldn't exceed the original model count by using slain models, but I may be missing an important detail.

EDIT - I've continued looking into this. My current understanding is that you do need the reinforcement points set aside in your list, but that slain units, along with anything else in your collection that's off the board, are fair game so long as you have the points.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. PartyFoul
    Skink

PartyFoul Member

Also @m0gstar, posting the list / BR would be awesome!

5. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

I'm not going to lie, that FAQ makes it more confusing than the actual handbook!

6. Dhol
    Skink

Dhol New Member

About Starseer, is there any good reason to not include one in any army list ? He seems quite powerful, very fun to play and his ability seems mandatory to combine with Salamanders for exemple.

7. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

Cost? He's very good but the extra 60pts can be a lot in some lists.

I need to use him more but as you said in the right list (Sallies, Bastiladons) he can be pretty required.

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Curse of Fate is one of the best spell in the game, with an exceptional flexibility. And needs only a 4 to cast it.

And the chance to reroll dices... it's priceless, the only similar thing we have is Lord Kroak. 'nuff said.

9. Buldi
    Saurus

Buldi Active Member

So what do you guys think about kroxigors? Are they worth their points?

10. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

@Buldi - I think they are about right. Ogors seem to be about baseline for Monstrous Infantry and for 40pts more you get similar damage output + the special mace (which rocks against hordes) as well as 2" attack range which is huge as means you can attack from the second "rank". On top of that you have a better save and bravery 10 which allows you to more safely use larger squads without losing them to Battleshock (if you play 6 you only have to worry about BS after taking 5 casualties in a turn.......in which case it's probably not a problem).

Buldi likes this.
  11. Buldi
    Saurus

Buldi Active Member

@Tozon : Playing without the guard is a new thing to me ;)

12. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

Definitely try Kroxigor out, I'm currently sat here at gone midnight assembling a few more (going to try a block of 9 out soon!)

Buldi likes this.
  13. Buldi
    Saurus

Buldi Active Member

Thats badass :D

14. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

I play a block of 6 kroxi..just op
    2 of them with moon hammer . They were versus a unit of 15 wardancer and with 2 moon hammer guy I put 15 wounds of them..killing everything..I think they have to be nerfed!!

15. Moc-Tzen
    Saurus

Moc-Tzen Active Member

In your opinion which would be the best traits for a Scar Veteran on Carnosaur when it comes to play vs chaos?
    I was thinking on going for the 6 ignore wound/Mortal wound and fenix stone. Since they tend to concentrate a lot of fire power on him and I like to send it trought the flanks to take care of stuff.

16. PJetski
    Chameleon Skink

PJetski Active Member

I am not a fan of that trait because a 1 in 6 chance is completely unreliable - it could save you 5-10 wounds in a game or it could save you none, and in my experience it goes with the latter. A better way to keep your Carnosaur alive is by keeping him out of 1" melee range - Chaos largely relies on short range melee attacks so keep your Scar Veteran behind a line of Guard and use his 2" reach to strike safely.

In this case I think Legendary Fighter is the best way to go, especially when combined with an Obstinate Blade (vs enemies that ignore Rend 1) or a Relic Blade (vs anything else).

If you want to keep him alive longer then bring some casters to give him Starlight (-1 to Hit, Starpriest), Mystic Shield (+1 Save, Starseer), and a rerollable save (Skink Priest or Starseer ability).

Moc-Tzen and Bowser like this.