1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Advice for Dealing with Malignant Behavior at Tournaments

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by LizardWizard, Oct 29, 2019.

1. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This is about a player's experience at a recent 40k Tournament. He gives some solid advice to both players and event organizers. In my experience AoS seems to have less of a problem with this than 40k, but it is still a feature.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I had a friend who used to attend a small local tournament year after year and he would always end up playing against the same person who constantly pulled crap like this. My friend liked to play the game and was good at it, but wasn't highly competitive or serious. He often deliberately fielded sub-optimal but really fun lists. So he told me this story, which I will summarize to the best of my abilities since it happened well over a decade ago.

So my friend was playing a WFB Beasts of Chaos army (under the 6th edition army book). He didn't really care about winning (it was only a very small local tournament) and he decided to completely troll this ultra competitive cheating player. My friend fielded an army comprised entirely of models with the ambush special rule (which allowed units to be held in reserve). Normally, you could only keep half of your units in ambush and the other half along with the general (who would summon the ambushers on any turn he desired) were fielded on the table as normal. My friend however had Khazrak as his general and he had a special rule that allowed all units with the ambush special rule to be set up in ambush, including Khazark himself. So my friend played a couple of games normally and had a good time... until he came up against this cheater player. My friend kept his entire army in reserve/ambush, by which I mean he literally didn't have a single model on the table. His opponent looked perplexed, but fielded his troops. I think his opponent even got first turn. So my friend looks him in the face and tells him to make all of his turns because he isn't going to sound his Brayhorn (which summoned the ambushed units onto the field) until the bottom of turn six. He then tells the dude "I guess we have a draw". The other guy (who was obsessed with winning and in need of a major victory) was so pissed. However, it was completely legal under the rules and there was nothing he could do. My friend spent the game reading a book and brought his whole army unto the board on the bottom of the last turn for the draw. I should also mention that my friend is around 6'2", 200-220lbs, ultra fit martial artist... while his opponent was this short out of shape dude. My friend isn't violent at all, but the physical disparity between them ensured that the other guy would never try to escalate things.

In short, my friend fielded a weak list and entered a tournament just to piss off a long time cheater. Against everyone else, he brought his units onto the field in a timely fashion and they all had great games.

I thought it was the funniest shit ever!

As for the topic of the thread... a metal hellcannon makes for an excellent bludgeoning device... the blood god cares not from where the blood flows, only that if flows. ;) In more seriousness (meaning not engaging in actions that will result in legal troubles), I'd probably just fight fire with fire and spend the entire game deliberately annoying the shit out of such a player. These types have to win at all costs, so if you inhibit that, you drive them crazy. :D:D It would be ever so easy!!

Now if the TO's are empowered to enforce the rules, then these problems will disappear very quickly.