1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings, Lizards

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by magnaferox, Sep 15, 2015.

1. magnaferox
    Jungle Swarm

magnaferox New Member

Hi all, I'm a lapsed Games Workshop player, who due to time and money has been out of the hobby for a fair few years. However I've recently decided to take up the brush again.

I've been particularly interested in getting back in to warhammer fantasy, but lo! apparently something called Age of Sigmar has taken it's place.

After researching this whole "End Times" turn of events, below are my collected thoughts on the matter...

The End Times Abridged
    In west lustria spawned and raised, in the jungle where i spent most of my days.

Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, and fighting some chaos outside of the school.

When a couple of skaven, shot down the moon, and started making trouble in the neighbourhood.

I got in one big fight and the slann got scared, and said we're moving in with your aunty and uncle in space

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I whistled for my lizards but when they came near,

They said they were called Seraphon and 8th ed. was too square,

Welcome! You'll find AoS has fractured opinions on Warhammer somewhat :p

magnaferox and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

4. magnaferox
    Jungle Swarm

magnaferox New Member

Thanks for the welcome,

I have lurked for a while, and yes the opinions are very differing! As for me, I haven't played since probably 6th edition, so I'm interested in trying out 8th and AoS.

I had a brief look at a video of some people running through a game of AoS, and the general game seems very streamlined,

Things I liked
    • You can get a good feel of the damage a unit can do without having to factor in WS and T.
    • force composition is not set in stone. meaning I don't have to take X specific units before i can even consider a rare choice.
    • it seems the "useless" units from previous editions have been improved. (saurus cavalry? No more stupidity cold ones yay)
    • I think i prefer the battleshock mechanic to previous leadership tests and fleeing.

Things I didn't like
    • The lite nature of some aspects of AoS like opposing army strengths and how to measure distances/ line of sight.
    • Where the aesthetic is going with the newly released models, and it makes me worried that the space age seraphon will end up with a wildly different look to the lizardmen of lustria.
    • no customisation available when it comes to magic, and characters in general.

For now though I'm mostly going to be focused on the hobby side of things, I may be able to play some AoS with friends with the handful of models I will pick up over the coming week. But initially I've ordered a nice selection of skinks / saurus from ebay, and replaced all my old dried out paint. If things go well I may put up a painting log!

I have to say most of the motivation to get back in to the hobby has come from recently lurking in the painting / conversion section of this forum. There's just too many handsome dinosaurs there not to have a go myself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

Nice intro. I like dated references. And that you appreciate the Lizardmen is DINOMITE!

Whatever version of the game you play, we have resources to help you. It's also fine if you just want to paint and convert. We got that too. And fluff. And discussions about nerdy media and pie.