1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. help on a 1000 lizzy army

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by FACEY, Jul 25, 2008.

1. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

hi ive just got back into using lizzys and i have just been painting them. i want to create a 1000 point army but i dont know what to include. i need your help!! ( it has to have kroxigors in it tho... love em)

thanks

:D

2. Kovash
    Skink

Kovash New Member

Well, I dont have the army book on me right now, but there is going to be alot of responses so dont worry about it

3. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

that is really, really vague ;)

But in all seriousness, what models do you have already, what models are you planning on getting, etc. There are many ways that you can design a list, even at 1k, so what strategies and tactics work best for you? Do you prefer to charge straight into the enemies line and beat him over the head through bloody attrition, skirmish and slowly pick away at the enemy, or pick your fights and ambush?

4. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Perhaps you could give it a shot yourself first, and then ask us to have a look. It's really the best way to learn.

For some ideas you could look at some of the other lists on this site :)

5. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

well i have

-4 kroxigor
    -24 skinks( blowpipes)
    -slann
    -stegadon
    -2 skink chiefs
    -2 skink priests

im getting 24 more skinks... soon and chamelion skinks X 10

i am thinking of doing an all skink or southland army. please advise. that would be great

6. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

hmmmmm.

Okay, well my first suggestion is that for the vast majority of your skinks you will probably want to switch to jav. and shield. As you will not have a core center to draw your opponent towards, your skinks are going to be doing a lot of manuvering.

That said, I imagine a 1k list would include a stegadon and the 4 kroxigors (so 467 pts thr). You will probably want to fill out the list with a lvl 2 skink priest (567 pts), add a skink chief; either to the stegadon for staying power and better generalship w/the stegadon helm or simply as a FSoD to deal with war machines (about 667). The remaining 300 pts or so you should spend on skinks (so about 10 scouting skinks and 38 standard skinks, meaning that that additional 24 skinks box should get you to 1k).

That will give you a pretty solid 1k list that has 2-3 hard hitters, good magic for 1k, and a large skirmishing base. You will make even wood elves envious.

As two pieces of advice, firstly dont buy 10 chamo skinks. If you look at the various lists posted, you will notice that they are rarely 10 strong if present at all. This is because it is a tactical unit and the larger unit the harder it is to scout closely and avoid pursuers, etc. Secondly, as a regular Southlands player I can tell you that you should never take skink cohorts, and the only real point to have a Southlands list is to take advantage of the skinks w/short bows and horned one riders from previous editions (as is attested to by Gav and other game developers).

7. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

ok thankyou very much for that. that is a big help ill take that into consideration.

i thought about...
    skink chief
    shink priest lvl 2 X 2
    krox X 4
    stegadon
    skinks X 48
    chameleons X 6

what do u think. with your ideas taken into consideration. which i appreciate really much btw :D

8. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

This new list will probably dominate in the magic phase at 1k points, and could be quite a hassle for most opponents. I'll second SoCahToa's suggestion at giving a few of these guys (all but the scouts if you take any) javelins and shields simply because they'll be moving all the time and the javs don't penalize for that. I think the Chamo skinks are about right with the numbers for the unit, but I still haven't got mine into a game yet so I can't confirm that.

Since you don't have point totals here I can't say anything about your chief. I'd like to know what you're planning on doing with him (going for leadership? FSoD? etc...) and how many points you have saved up before throwing down suggestions on how to equip him.

And at the low points levels, you could probably drop a single Krox out of your unit. It's a big hit, but for 50 some odd points you can get a lot of stuff back. You probably won't face Too much at this point level that would require the fourth can opener that badly.

Can't say much about the Stegadon. While most will recommend you get Salamanders instead, at these points, the Terror causing monster could very well make or break a few combats and possibly the game. I'd say try it out but if it doesn't pull it's weight, get a full three sallies in a hunting pack and see how they perform for you.

9. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

ok cool thanks for that, i have a game this tuesday against the new dark elves so i am thinking taking them out quikly for experimental purposes. originaly i gave my chief
    - light armour
    - shield
    - blesed spawning of sotec
    - scout
    - burning blade of chotec
    - dispell scroll
    ( note this was originally for a 1500)

10. Kovash
    Skink

Kovash New Member

If I were you, I would recommend that you try the stegadon in your game. I dont have much luck with the stegadon personally, but if he works for you: congrats. I would personally take salamanders, but try him out and if you do not like him, drop him

Regards

11. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Warning! Warning!

Skink Chiefs cannot take dispel scrolls! Or for that matter any kind of arcane item! I would suggest that you post your list so that we can check it over to make sure it is legal.

That said, the build you currently have for your skink chief would probably be better on a Scar Vet. With a T3, WS4, and a low armor save, this guy will have difficulty going toe to toe with many full units.

12. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

ok cool well the game is this tuesday so i wont get them by then. but for all your responses i will defo have to get salamanders!!

i re did my list today... what do u think

-skink priest
    lvl 2
    scout
    dispel scrollX2

-skink priest
    lvl2
    blessed spwning old ones
    diadem of power

-skinks X12
    scouts
    brave

-skinks X12
    scouts
    brave

-skinks X11
    scouts
    brave

-kroxigor X3

-stegadon

total = i think 999 (i think)

13. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

The list look oke......keep in mind the tips you recieved !! (Sallies and a scar-vet would be nice!)

Pray your opponent isn't fielding any reaper bolt throwers......Otherwise your Stegadon isn't gonna last very long........

One of your biggest fears is "Fear or terror" Your highest leadership is 7 and that is from the kroxes......
    Cold blooded is very good, but throwing 3 die to reach a six........not my cup a tea.....

The new DE can field at least 1 terror causes at 1K (maybe 2 if they field a manticore and the new Hydra (nasty fella btw), but i doubt that)...Remember...they only have T3....

But then again you have T2 and DE can go rather "shooty" on ya......

Good luck! Let us know how it went!

14. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Im just going to insert a warning here that magic is fickle. One miscast can stop an entire magic phase (or indeed a priest's life) in its tracks. Taking two level 2s will either be extremely effective or very damaging.

The problem with investing so many points into magic is that your list becomes incredibly fragile. You need more troops to soak up casualties and deal damage to your opponent.

As freakndell said, your list, due to its lack of leadership, will have to avoid protracted combats at all costs.

Keeping these things in mind, I would suggest fiddling around with the magic items of your two skink priests. First, two dispel scrolls is extreme overkill. With two level 2s in a 1k game, no one is going to come near to having as much magic as you (unless there undead, but then dispel scrolls arnt nearly as good as mass dispel dice). With the diadem, you can use 6 dispel dice if need be, so I would say drop atleast one dispel scroll (I would suggest both), and use those points to either get a cloak of feathers on the priest or get more troops. Similarly, the BSoOO is overkill. I could understand taking the BSoOO with the cube of darkness, but these 35 pts are unnecessary with a diadem skink. If d3 rerolls are that important to you, simply cast the spell (you will have plenty of casting power for it).

By dropping the 2 scrolls and the BSoOO, you could have 85 pts to invest in a skink chief (better ld!), beef up your skinks numbers, or do something to make your list less fragile and reliant on magic.

15. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

ok so i should ditch the 2 scolls and blessed mark of the old ones. and gain back 85 points. should i invest in another unit of skinks x 10 with a brave and scouts with the new points i have?? im being very experimental with this army. thanks

16. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Well, Im assuming that this is considering that there are no new models available. In this case, yes, I would say that that would be the best call. That said, braves are generally speaking rather useless. With units armed with blowpipes, Him hitting on a 5+ wont make much of a dent, and there should not be a situation in which he is the only one hitting on a 6+. Similarly, with javs one better hitting str 3 does not justify the 5 pt increase.

17. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

thanks guys, i played my game od 100pts againts the dark elves and WON!! i won in the 5th round by victory points. i won with a slight victory. thank you all very much!!

:D

18. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Glad to hear of your victory