1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! Starting a collection, got a few questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ausschliessi, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Ausschliessi
    Jungle Swarm

Ausschliessi New Member

Hello fellow parseltongues!

After quite some time away from miniatures I recently rediscovered some old figurines, Orcs and Goblins mostly and, while I am selling those to get a clean start (I think I overburdened myself with too many minis last time), I am looking to get a few lizardmen minis to get back into painting and remodeling. The question is, though, which minis I should order...
    Although I want to start with painting, there will come a point where I will want to play with them too. I just don't know which system as I have never really played any Warhammer system, only a bit of LotR. My problem is that for Ninth age, I will have to exclusively use rectangle bases, while for AoS or, say, Mordheim I could use round bases better. It all depends on the future system. I think I would like skirmish systems better, especially those where I can employ over the top terrain and level up characters... but Ninth Age seems like the real deal otherwise, while AoS seems kind of universally hated. Is it easy to switch the base of a mini later on?
    This means that I would start with 2-3 cool-looking models, like an eternal guard or a priest...

Last question is: which colors do I need. I still have black, gunmetal, stonewall grey and dead white from Vallejo which haven't dried in 6+ years, so that's impressive and I think the company has a nice cost efficiency. I would paint my lizards in the classic blueish way, which colors would you suggest for highlights, shades, weapons, accents...

Thanks for your time!

Warden and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

AOS isn't universally hated. But it can be quite a pain to switch bases after the fact. I would normally tell you to start with the getting started kit to get the carnosaur plus free stuff. But if you're unsure about whether you want to play 9th age or not you will have to add the cost of square bases. I suppose if you go down to your local store and see who is playing what it would make it easier to gage what you want to play. Or ask whoever buys your orcs what they are playing, if nothing else you can set up a match.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome, you mention leveling up your mini, that is a D&D thing so you sound very much like me never played a system but loved the feeling of creating a character and taking him on a adventure, maybe Silver tower or Mantic dungeon quest is more your thing but if like me you love the models create an army on Sq bases as they are accepted no matter what system you play as to what models the starter set is very good value and has some great models.

Have you looked at Kings Of War?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You might like the Age of Sigmar path to glory option, but as the book is not out until end of this month you should reserve judgement for the game system that appeals the most to you.

5. Ausschliessi
    Jungle Swarm

Ausschliessi New Member

I have looked at Kings of War and it looks nice, no idea what distinguishes it from T9A though. Yeah maybe I should just roll with square bases, Lizardmen have all the cool big models anyway and those are not too easy to use in a skirmish system. I will go to the local GW tomorrow and ask someone to introduce me to AoS though.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I have not played any of the barring one horrible game with disgusting people of 8th... but when ever im in a local store or one of GW's people playing Age of sigmar are very friendly and helpful with any questions I might have...(dint know if im lucky or what that I have not had to deal with neck beards in this hobby as of yet)

Bowser likes this.
  7. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

In the LOTR game workshop tournaments me and my brother played in they employed an addition to the rules that meant you got points to level up your general/character of choice based on points you earn for a victory like if it was a complete annihilation victory you got more points. I think it was generally +1 to a stat for your next battle etc. It may have been exclusively a Lord of the Rings thing they ran way back when.

Bowser likes this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Swapping from square to round bases is mostly cosmetic and has very little effect on gameplay.
    GW even says you don't need to swap.

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  9. Ausschliessi
    Jungle Swarm

Ausschliessi New Member

Thanks for all the replies! As I said I want to do a slow start and want to paint a few cool miniatures and also do some converison/extended base decoration, so I wanted to ask: Where do I get bits and clutter? I have already found the site Zealot miniatures, are there some other sites you can recommend? I'm from Germany, so Europe would be best. Or would someone of you be willing to sell some clutter?

Bowser likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Ebay is a good start, also don't forget natural materials like stones, twigs, etc.

Bowser likes this.
  11. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

Always a ton of bits available on eBay, usually in the form of big bags of semi-random pieces. I've heard lots of good things about using cork to make easy and dynamic bases fairly quickly.

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

I hate to admit it, but round bases look better for display models. Rectangular bases let you pack models in less space. This is why they are required for 8th edition, 9th Age and Kings of War. Age of Sigmar allows rectangular bases. For me the choice is simple. I will play any mini-game that I can find an opponent for and rectangular bases gives me more options.

Painting and converting. We got you covered. Tips and techniques, honest but polite critiques and models to inspire you. We got it.

Gameplay. We cover tactics, list building and battle reports for 8th Edition Warhammer, 9th Age Warhammer, Age of Sigmar Warhammer, and Kings of War.

We have fiction, aka fluff pieces. It's mostly 8th Edition/Age of Sigmar but we welcome all fluff. It doesn't have to be reptilian, it doesn't even need to be gaming.

And We got forums to talk about memes, Star Wars, and whatnot.