1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icebloods... My Lizardmen PLOG

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by APhilmon, Oct 10, 2012.

1. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Sorry it's not fading away, got super busy. In fact I pulled out the 30 saurus with spears just today and set up my painting area to start and hopefully finish them this week. Also going to work on my scar vet and whatnot. So sorry things have been put on hold for so long!

2. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

It's good to hear you are still working on your army. I love the theme and look forward to seeng your progress!

3. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Nice model Za Greekie! I think it looks great!

Sucks, just realized I don't have any black primer, going to have to get a can this week. Oh well, plenty of mould lines to fiddle with anyway.

Thanks everyone for the interest in my wee little project!

4. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

Looks really good! I wish I had the skill/desire to paint my army. I did one afternoon and got a few TG almost to the wash point, but the drive petered out.

5. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Simple recipe for painting my lizards:

1. Primer black

2. Pick a darker version of the color you want and dry brush generously.

3. Take same color and make a mixture of 1/3 white or off white and 2/3 the color you just dry brushed

4. Then take 2/3 white or off white and mix with 1/3 of your original color and Lightly dry brush the model.

5. Finally you can take the white with just the very littlest of color and selectively dry brush where you want.

That is my "secret" to painting lizards. I used the same method on anything with scales, including shields. I even did this with the ice weapons.

6. aidanlynch
    Saurus

aidanlynch New Member

Have to say, I love the colour scheme you've gone with.

Also that Slann is amazing. I'm starting work on one soon, hope you won't mind if I take some inspiration from your model

7. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Thanks, glad you like! Take whatever you want for inspiration, I certainly do not mind!

8. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

Drybrush is a technique I definitely need to master.

9. Bendermanuk
    Skink

Bendermanuk New Member

I'm new to lizardmen and I must say that I really enjoyed this thread. Definitely opened by eyes to the fact that Lizardmen don't have to be blue! Very inspirational, I even got my brushes out this afternoon.

10. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Dry brushing can take a lot of stress out of paintIng, it is especially nice if you prefer to play over painting.

Hopefully some of my results give people some confidence that you don't have to spend crazy amounts of time painting! Glad the thread was useful.

Been sick, the saurus are still on the table, as is the carnosaur, just not feeling well enough to start. Plus, haven't picked up primer cause I have been stuck inside feeling nasty.

11. Gamergeek
    Skink

Gamergeek New Member

Hows the painting coming? Any recent battle reports to share?

12. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

I am so sorry, life has thrown me a huge curveball. I am deploying to the sandbox in the near future and have no time to get down to painting. I fear this may be the last post I make for around 6-7 months, minus whatever I post before I depart. Good luck to all on their own projects, I will be anxious to get back to this log when I return. Plus with the new book coming out while I am gone, I will have new models to play with!

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

See you soon dude. Looking forward to it.

14. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

Good luck and god bless you.

15. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Thanks you all, leaving is so hard. Kids and wife make it super hard to work on minis, but they make it even harder when I have to leave them.

Cannot wait to get this started so I can hurry up and get it done!

16. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

best of luck pal, we'll be waiting for this thread to kick off again! :smug:

17. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

Ok, not an update or anything. I just saw the newest carnosaur and all that jazz and boy am I excited to get home and work on the second block of Saurus(with Spears)! I saw a glimpse of the book and all, so definitely some changes to be made. Buuuut, I will not be home till March time period. What a crock!

:jimlad: :droid:

18. lbisson
    Cold One

lbisson New Member

The new Carno model is a lot of fun to build and paint. Heck, I am with ZaGreekie and running a dual Carno list!

We'll all be here when you get back. Please stay safe and thanks for your service!

Len

19. APhilmon
    Cold One

APhilmon New Member

I ordered some bits and hobby stuff for the last bit of my time here at my deployed location. I just got my bits in, waiting for the putty, hobby knife, and files. Then I can get to work. Thinking a Old Blood on Cold One or maybe on foot. I ordered the rider from the Carnosaur set along with the skink rider. Conversions will be in the works. Think possible great weapon using the "rocks" the teradons come with. :jawdrop: :smug: Pics once I get some work done!

20. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11875&start=50

Check the last page, I made a GW Oldblood with the stones from the Terradon kit. Perhaps it can serve as inspiration!