1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kings of War

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Xlcontiqu, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Has anyone been keeping up with the Mantic game Kings of War? It is essentially a simplified and quicker version of Warhammer with a couple twists.

I recently bought the Elf Warhost and am getting the models soon. I am really excited because of both the quality of the models and the nice set of rules Mantic has.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah I have been following them since they first started up. I wasn't a big fan of the elves, but they are growing on my. I have probably 200 undead models (most of them are really really good, especially the ghouls are amazing) and the Dwarfs are looking pretty cool as well. Really looking forward to Orcs early next year though, early greens I've seen fo them look very cool.

I've read their rule system, and quite like the overall concepts of it, but I haven't tried a game yet. Lack of willing opponents.

Its not just the quality that is exciting, it is the price! Their starter set has over 100 plastic models very nice quality, and its about 40 GBP. Cheaper than IoB and more models. I got 60 zombies (much better than ugly GW ones) for 22 pounds! Its great.

3. Cobra7
    Skink

Cobra7 Member

I have a lot of the elves, a TON of the undead and some of the dwarves.

IMO: I really do not like the elves. I think they are way too frail looking, plus the "Sea Guard" are just 10 archers and 10 spearmen. However they do work in my HE army as long as I keep them in their own units, so all is well. I should also point out that I had the Elven Cav (the metal ones) converted to Blood Knights, they look awsome.

The Undead are truly amazing. The ghouls are easy to paint, easy to put togeather and look the part. The skellies are harder to paint but look better than the GW ones IMO. The Black Knights are sooo much better looking than the GW ones, my only gripe is the lances are VERY fragile. Seriously I think I'll need to solder one back on. I also have 50 GG being painted by a pro, should be back soon, the ones he finished look great. Also the BSB is awsome, another pro painter is going to paint that one for me as well.

For the Dwarves I like the cannon better than the GW one because it seems more to scale, as far as the dwarf models, eh. Maybe I just don't like dwarves. Only got them because of a campain where I got to select allies.

As far as the Kings of War game, it looks like it has potentail, but it seemed a bit simple to me. Maybe in a year or two I'll seriously consider giving it another try.

4. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

If you guys collect them perhaps you can answer something for me.

I noticed them when i got sent the mantic magazine when i ordered an avatars of war lizard to use an ancient kroxigor/ oldblood model. Value for money is awesome but heres my question, how do they compare in scale to GW models?

I know they come with 20mm bases but the models, as already mentioned with the elves, just seem to me like they are noticably smaller than GW models. Is this the case or are they to scale?

I ask coz i'd quite like to get either undead or dwarfs as a little side project to go with my lizards.

Thanks

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

They are 28mm scale, just like GW models. The main difference is GW are heroic scale (exagerated weapons, hands, heads etc.) while Mantic are true scale so they are more in proportion which makes them look and feel a little smaller. The elves are certainly very skinny and smaller than GW elves, and IMO don't really fit in all that well together. The undead actually work out to be very close in scale, and all the units would work seemlessly with each other. The main thing you will notice is weapon sizes are much smaller for Mantic.

I'm fairly sure the Dwarfs fit pretty well too, but I don't have any Dwarfs so I am onyl going on what I have heard. The biggest thing you will notice is cavalry for Mantic are a lot smaller than GW cavalry. Actually I took a comparison shot.

revsize.jpg

Left is Mantic, middle is GW, right is Gamezone.

6. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

very helpful, thank you.

Thats my mind made then, in the new year. UNDEAD!