1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Kroak vs Slann

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by IronLizard, Aug 30, 2018.

1. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Hi all, what does everyone think of Kroak and Slann in AoS 2.0?

I made the terrible error of rushing out to get Kroak in the pre-FAQ window where he was still perched up on a Balewind Vortex dumping mortal wounds all over the joint like an absolute badman, then he got nerfed in the FAQ and it feels like he’s just not worth the points now.

Clearly we need the double teleport and summoning shenanigans so i’ve been looking at the regular slann, but his unique spell seems pretty useless. The constellations could be helpful depending on the rest of your list I guess...

So is it just a case of Kroak for (now more restricted) damage output vs slann for cheap(er) access to double teleport and summoning? Or is something more nuanced going on that I’m missing.

Also, how does Malign Sorcery feed into this? I don’t have it (but I do have BWV if that’s still viable), but do I need it to really get the best out of either of the floaty frogs?

Nazqua likes this.
  2. Hu3pfka3s3
    Saurus

Hu3pfka3s3 Member

Kroak is much better now in my opinion, no need for the enemy to cry about him. Play the Slann with Vast Intellect and he will be 300% better, than useless double tp and summoning.

Nazqua and IronLizard like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

The Slannado and Kroaknado are still powerful. I think if you run Lord Kroak chances are you are better off not taking a battalion. If you want to run Battalions I suggest using the regular Slann Starmaster. Kroak list can be built with a great deal of flexibility and have massive summoning potential. One of my Kroak list looks like this:

Allegiance: Seraphon

LEADERS:
    Lord Kroak
    (450)
    -General
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

UNITS:
    10 x Skinks (60)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
    2x Razordon (80)

ENDLESS SPELLS:
    Balewind Vortex
    (40)
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)
    TOTAL: 1990/2000

This list is a decent all-comers Kroaknado. Turn one you set up the Balewind and Cogs and then bring on however much summoning you can manage with your EotG's. The reason I like to start with 3 Rippers is to allow the setting up of a Bloat Toad, which future summoned units will also be able to benefit from. You can also drop an EotG and bring a Skink Starpriest and more Razzordons. If you bring the Starpriest you will have more debuffing access and he can cast the Cogs for Kroak turn one letting you either cast one more spell or generate additional Celestial Conjuration points.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I also think that both of them still have their places to fit in.
    So don't worry, you can play the Kroak you got. :)

Nazqua, IronLizard and LizardWizard like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Kroak is always a good buy. His sculpt is beautiful, he is has nice open and detailed areas to paint, and he is still a power house on the table. Most battalion list still have room to fit Lord Kroak, with the exception of FoS and DT.

6. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Thanks guys - I decided to go ahead and order the regular Slann (along with an EotG and more Ripperdactyls because I have a plastic crack addiction :D).

I probably should have said that we tend to play sub-1500pt games at my local store as it’s only 4’x4’ tables. I think I have a mental block with taking Kroak in a 1500pt list (let alone 1k or 1250) as any time I went into any AoS v1 game without a decent amount of bodies on the table I got a savage beating - I’m guessing from the amount of 3x10 skink 2k lists I’ve seen that summoning mitigates this?

Nazqua and LizardWizard like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah summoning somewhat mitigates that.

Nazqua, IronLizard and LizardWizard like this.