1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Kroxigor - the unsung heroes?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by MerciaBear, Mar 30, 2017.

1. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

After a few months of playing AoS now I have revisited Kroxigor after being prompted to include them alongside the Shadowstrike formation (by Bowser) in a low points list.

Does anyone else rate them?

Have any views how they stack up against other armies heavy infantry?

What other units do they compete with for inclusion in a competitive list build?

4 wounds each on a 4+ with impressive damage output. Hard to fault really! 180pts seems reasonable value.

Thoughts?

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

First thought you have super Krox! (4 wounds ;))

I used them last night and they were poor but that was me trying to kill a Basti, the hit and wound rolls are ok so I would put them up against something with a high save, the moon hammer is good against horde infantry so I believe.

I like them and will run them again but deploy them with a target in mind, and behind a skink wall as they have 2" reach so that is a big plus also rerolling 1 when with skinks is good.

Bowser, Ritual and MerciaBear like this.
  3. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

They seem like a good 'anvil' or tanky formation. Lets compare them to the Bastiladon, that other tanky unit.

They clearly perform different roles but their survivability and comparitively (for Seraphon) low movement makes them useful for 'tanking' wounds or providing a lynchpin anvil unit.

On first glance, and I havent crunched the numbers (anyone else feel free!) there are a couple of advantages:

1. 12 wounds in a unit of three
    2. Much much lower points cost. In fact, comparing 6 krox with 1 basti might be fairer.
    3. Serious hitting power in CC.
    4. Lower armour save but can be more easily buffed due to cover (which the basti cant).

Of course the massive downside is the lack of ranged power which is the ace in the hole for the basti. We have quite a few bashy CC units that are faster than the krox but really nothing which can replace the basti.

So where do I see them being used? In a ninja type list, lots of skinks, rippers etc when you need a solid unit on the ground.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

But and this is where you might disagree, the basti only needs mystic shield to get a +2 save but they are slow as hell, I think the Basti even at 300 points is good value but would I have 6 krox for 360 points or a Basti for 300, neither I would go 15 chamo skinks for 360, 30 attacks hitting on +3 wounding on +3, movement that is almost impossible to stop.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I struggle with them a bit.
    They are pretty decent against hordes I'd say. But when I have 180 points left in a list.... I don't know. Compare them to three Razordons or Salamanders. The Krox are a bit more tanky than those, but the damage output of the others is so much higher.
    If they had a 3+ save or a hit of 3+ on any of their weapons I'd say they are really good, but when compared to other similarly priced units like Ironjawz Gore-Gruntas for example they come up short IMO.
    And that moon hammer is really really bad against Behemoths or hero units. My Orruk playing friend knows that and always attacks the Moon Hammer Krox with something big (such as those aforementioned Gore-Gruntas). I think I never got more than one attack from the Moon Hammer. :(

So all in all I guess they are a decent front line unit. Just not _that_ great.

Bowser, Crowsfoot and MerciaBear like this.
  6. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Cool thanks for the feedback. Ill probably still paint them up. But yeh, poor against single targets.

I have to say I like the look of them for survivability rather than dmg output in a ninja style list. Ive got rippers, chamo skinks and skinks alongside them.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

Kroxigor have the unfortunate pleasure of being the same points cost as Kurnoth Hunters.

Kroxigor are pretty fair, and are ok at cutting through low save high model count tarpits.

Kurnoth Hunters are pretty broken and can kill pretty much anything you want them to, either at range or in close combat.

Unless I'm playing pure Seraphon (which, with zero incentive to do, I won't be) I would always pick Kurnoth Hunters 100% of the time.

Warscroll in question for reference: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-kurnoth-hunters-en.pdf

Bowser, Aginor, MerciaBear and 2 others like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I've just received my box of 3 for my up coming Sylvaneth army

Bowser and InfamousBeany like this.
  9. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Kurnoth Hunters are superior in virtually every where though, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a points adjustment in GHB2...

If I got to a point where I was nearing the end of a pure Seraphon list and had points to spend, I would probably always take Chamo Skinks over Kroxigor...

Bowser and InfamousBeany like this.
  10. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Yeh ive faced these guys, cant see the weakness myself! They really are good at everything..... :/

11. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Well they do have different roles after all so I m not sure I would swap a unit that was supposed to tank with awesome ninjas ! ( they wound on 4+ :p )

12. Seraphage
    Stegadon

I honestly believe it's all due to Sylvaneth being updated whereas we haven't yet. I expect most of these things to change with our new rulebook !
    *We should expect it within the next 5months supposedly - or that's what many people say to AoS Community of FB - since they seem to be updating the armies the same way they published them when AoS ventured and we are number 2 or 3 in turn right now !

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

So they do!

Second DOH! of the day

Bowser, Seraphage and Ritual like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Kurnoth Hunters are great. I bought some for my wife's army, and I almost didn't want to believe it when I read their warscroll. WOW!

15. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

The worst is when you kill one and then it comes back with a regrowth spell.

16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oh yeah, I would take Kurnoth hunters over Krox any day. They're in some of my new builds. But for pure seraphon, Krox riding support for Skinks can be pretty effective. Not as effective as Kurnoth hunters, but the ability to reach over the skinks and take on some crowd control os pretty decent.

Ritual and Seraphage like this.
  17. Seraphage
    Stegadon

"Jew builds" I laughed way too hard :D:confused::p

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oops! Oy the typos today!

MerciaBear, Ritual and Seraphage like this.
  19. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Totally passable.

Bowser likes this.
  20. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Think im going to go with the Krox for now, at least for a game or too! Ive not moved into 'order' armies yet, just seraphon.

Also, the models are enormous! They have real table presence. They look like they should have 3+ armour and a ton of wounds and just sit there.