1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/Kroxigor Conversion)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Arsenal, Nov 23, 2009.

1. president kang
    Skink

president kang Member

Re: Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/Carnosaur +more)

Long time Lizard player, first post on this forum. Dude, this army is awesome. I love all the conversions. I've used a similar painting style, except with black primer and chaos black paint instead. It does make work a little easier when you are painting a large army. I'd love to see your saurus hero with flaming sword when its done.

2. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Again, thanks for the compliments. I have been on vacation for over a month, and I am back to paint more. So hopefully this week, and for sure by next weekend I should have some more guys painted and posted. Stay tuned!

3. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

This army looks frickin vicious. Pro job man, keep up the good work :D

4. president kang
    Skink

president kang Member

A question on your shading. It's been a long time since I've painted anything and I'm getting ready to start up again. You refer to the strong tone quickshade as a "dip". Are you literally dipping the models into the tone, or are you painting it on, like an ink wash?

5. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

I paint the strong tone quickshade on, because if you actually dip it you need to shake the crap out of the model to get all the excess off, and there are three issues I have with that.

-Number 1: you need a place to do it and not get quickshade drops on everything that are hard to remove.

-Number 2: the stuff isn't cheap and you end up wasting a lot.

-Number 3: some models break apart when vigorously shaken, especially metal conversions that aren't pinned.

I apply the strong tone quickshade with a brush so I can control where it sits and how much is being used per model. The only issue is you need to clean the brush in mineral spirits, which stinks, or the brush dries up hard as a rock.

I just call it 'dip' as thats what most people seem to refer to it as.

Hope that helps!

6. president kang
    Skink

president kang Member

Thanks! I've done quite a bit of painting a long time ago, but not much in the past 6 years. Ready to start up again, and the quickshade looks great on the models - better than the ink shades I use to use.

7. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Oh, one other thing to note, a lot of people think you can't paint over the quickshade when it dries, but you easily can. It's just that if you don't matte-coat the entire model, or re-quickshade the freshly painted area, that section will look out of place.

8. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Finally I got a chance to complete some more of the Legion. It was all the Skink Handlers I have, 3 Razordons, and another Skink Priest. I need to complete the basing with some tall grass and what-not, but they are otherwise done.

Skink Handlers
    I used my standard Skink scheme, only I used a red crest top rather than the beige or green. This ties them in more with the beasts of the army which all have a red theme.

For example, in this image is a Skink from the 1st skirmisher unit with green crests (1), the Handler with red (2), and a skirmisher from the other skink unit with the beige(3). This is how I tell who is which unit when they are skirmishing on the table. I find when you are rocking 30+ skink skirmishers they have a tendency to blend.

DSC08944.jpg

Just the handlers alone, I actually have quite a few of little buggers.
    DSC08942.jpg

DSC08941.jpg

The Barbed Razordons
    These guys follow the same scheme as the Cold Ones, Salamanders, and Stegs. I just used different blue war paint patters on their head horns to differentiate them.

DSC08945.jpg

DSC08946.jpg

DSC08947.jpg

DSC08949.jpg

Skink Priest
    Here is one of the old model Priests. I didn't realize it until I was painting him that on the end of the staff is actually the skull of a Skaven Grey Seer. Pretty cool fluff wise actually!

DSC08950.jpg

DSC08951.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully this week I can get to the Hero on Cold One conversion, or maybe some Chameleons Skins. Enjoy and sorry for the super long delay!

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/Razordons +more)

Wow great work, good way to differentiate units as well. Why do you need so many handlers??

10. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Thanks Strewart. Sometimes in just-for-fun garage games I field 3 Sallies AND 3 Razordons with maxed out skinks just because I like the monsters of Warhammer in general. I know it's not totally effective, but given my poor rolling i'd rather be rolling 6 artillery dice a turn rather than one.

Plus, I had the models anyway, so I might as well have painted them. In fact, if I was to field all 6 monsters at once with the extra handler each I actually need to make 6 more Skinks handlers to cover the total count as each blister only comes with 3 skinks. :(

11. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

I finally finished up the Scar-Vet/Old Blood on the Horned One Conversion I had put together some time ago. The fluff was that he was a daemon/chaos hunter who's little skink pal cuts off the heads of those he kills so he can pop them on his spear until they rot into skulls for his collection. Very predator-esque. Anyway, here is is! Oh, and point of note, I plan to de-Gloss the crap out of him so he isn't so shiny. This was also my 1st attempt ever at painting fire (even though it's blue).

Old Blood/Scar Vet Guy
    DSC08983.jpg

DSC08985.jpg

DSC08993.jpg

DSC08990.jpg

DSC08989.jpg

DSC08987.jpg

DSC08991.jpg

DSC08992.jpg

DSC08986.jpg

Enjoy!

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Re: Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/OldBlood Conversion)

Awesome, great work! Love what you did with the cold one's head. Definitely a bit of de-glossing would be handy. ;)

13. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

Great Lord Tlanxla New Member

That is so awesome. Love the sword!

14. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

i love your army and your painting style is awesome im going to try and emulate it in my army

15. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Hey!

Just wanted to throw in my two cents... I have gone back through this entire post and looked at all your progress throughout the last several months and all I have to say is awesome job on both the painting and converting aspects. You have definitely given me a few ideas that I can do to my own army! (Don't worry, I'll give you all the credit.) I noticed the dates that you made updates and it would have been cool to follow it from the very beginning but I was not visiting the site as much as I do now, so I got to just start from page one and skip through all the waiting! Kind of a blessing and a curse! Again, your army looks great and the conversion work on some of your models really make it stand out.

That said, the only gripe / complaint / feedback (whatever you want to call it!) is your "dipping" style. While I agree with you in that it is not cheating (because everybody has their own style) it does make it very difficult to get full points if you are competing in Indy GT's. The judges for these things don't consider it cheating (and they shouldn't) but they do tend to frown upon it, at least in my experience. I have 2 buddies in my gaming group that did their army using the exact same method that you are using and they were approached after the tournament letting them know why their scores were the way they were. They understood it and even tended to agree with him. So, going into a tournament they know that they will not get full points but it is something that they are ok with. I guess it just depends on if that means a lot to you and if you participate in tournaments at all. Either way, I think it makes the army look very good and again, every person has their own style and that's what makes the army unique. Good job again! Keep more pics coming until you have it all completed, I look forward to your updates. Thanks!

Iggy Koopa

16. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Hey man, thanks for the positive comments. I haven't played in any GTs, but to me their scoring is off, because in art it's not about the effort, it's about the end result and if it's appealing to you. I have an art background and make video games for a living and when we ship a game all people care about is if it's fun and how good it looks. They don't care about the method or effort used to achieve it.

In general, I agree with GW that Warhammer is a garage game 1st and people squeeze it into a tournament format and try to balance it to their needs. This includes putting 'score' on the look of an army. Why should someone score high for buying an army on eBay, while someone who works to make their own army by their own methods get a hit in score. To me that is just stupid and ridiculous.

Anyway, my rant is over. I will post up more stuff soon! Just build my giant bow steggie and started painting him. :)

17. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Couldn't agree more. I believe that it is a garage game and, for me, the people that I've met through playing this wonderful hobby I call lifelong friends. It has never been about creating an over-powered list with us but more along the lines of what you're saying, creating a unique army that shows the time and effort that YOU put into it. There's something to be said about a fully painted army on the tabletop that you took the time to complete, whether it's golden demon quality or not. It shows that you committed yourself to doing something and you got it done.

I don't necessarily agree with the painting score format in the GT's, to me, the biggest part of this hobby is the modeling and painting so those should carry more weight but oh well... Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing your Steg when it's complete. I should be finishing up my BSB this weekend so hopefully I'll get some pics posted. Talk to you soon.

Iggy Koopa

18. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Awesome! I can't wait to see your BSB. And just talking about having fun, I plan on fielding a unit of 34 skinks with 3 krox against my buddies High Elves tomorrow. If they don't get shot to death, should be a fun fight. I will post of a pic of the partially painted unit when I get home. It's just so ridiculously big.

19. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

No painting this time, just some conversions that need to be painted that I hope to get to this week.

Ancient Kroxigor
    It's one of the new Krox models with the Chakax head, horns from the bottom of the Slann palanquin, the tail of Be'lakor, and the weapon head is an angled skull from the WH Giant kit.
    DSC09130.jpg

DSC09129.jpg

DSC09128.jpg

DSC09131.jpg

DSC09132.jpg

DSC09133.jpg

Two Steg Howdahs, both Giant Bows

Howdah 1 - The Heads on a Spear
    DSC09134.jpg

DSC09135.jpg

DSC09136.jpg

Howdah 2- The Giant Skull Covered Thingy
    The body on the spear is from the Corpse Cart.
    DSC09138.jpg

DSC09137.jpg

DSC09139.jpg

Enjoy!

20. strewart
    OldBlood

Very cool Ancient Steg - Chakax head looks great on it! How are you going to base him since the tail seems to go lower than the bottom of the feet?