1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Little things I think we need in our 8th army book

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by shahryar, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would have to see that Faq'd in order to use it above the 6 casting value. I always use 5 + the rumination dice. If you could use it as a 7th die, then, it becomes much more powerful.

2. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

Skink Brave Itxy New Member

Is it really a problem though?

Does 7 dice isntead of 6 really give you a huge boost in rolling power that if we lost it it'd be some horrible nerf?

I know I've always looked at Rumination not as a way to give me a better overall roll, but as a way to stretch out my supply of power dice, letting me cast more spells. Since that's the real boon to it, you get an extra die on every seperate casting attempt. So you cast 4 spells it's 4 extra dice.

3. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

but the FAQ for 8th lizzies changed that

4. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

Then maybe they need to FAQ it again, because the way I interpret it, it means that if I have 12 power dice, I can't use the 'phantom' one since it technically gives me 13. But after that first spell I have less than 12 dice, so Rumination works just fine.

5. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

hers what i think:

First a big monster or two.
    what comes to mind is thunder lizard and Coatl.
    new special choise something like tank just a turtle.
    Kroxigors having base T5 and S5 giving them GW or no weapon (counts as two hand weapons), posibly frenzy, than meiby i would agry on the price tag they have.
    Saurus definetly geting more I, no A decrease that would be stupid. IF I isnt upgraded than give an option for GW.
    Skinks, T3, or lower the points drasticaly (for cohorts).
    RARE:
    salamanders, good as they are. people should stop whining. Meiby to satisfy the whiners make 1-2 in a pack (i personaly almost never take 3).
    Razordons, think something interesting.
    Carnosaur hunting pack with saurus handlers, if theres no option for these than make razordons CC maniacs. Frenzy, hatred (someone is in theyre teritory, ragh!!!).
    Stegadons, make howdah optional choise not included in the price. A steg should imho cost about 200 nowadays.
    Make carnosaur more resilent for shooting. Prise is good as it is imo, and make hunting pack each carno 210 points.
    lower COC price atleast like DE COC.
    Our own lore, this is a must, the oldest rase should have theyre own lore.
    ideas for lores, few (1-3) old one lores tepok sotek chotec. or ice magic, geaomantic magic for moving terrain or building terrains on field. Force magic for making protection bubles or shock releases. or some lore with rain of fire frogs, seen in page63.
    make skink prests to be able to take light and beast as well that would be enough.

some rule same manes as TK came from below only that lizardmen could come from forests.
    A new rase specifik speacial rule that army is so adapt in forets that theyre invisible in forests, so warmachines cant target them.

more core units. my personal best is exploding toads :) they jump on enemy unit, scaters in your wanted direction d6 small template, the frog is dead but it inflicts something.

thats all i guess :)
    well theres alot of ideas but i doubt that GW will make something good, the main purpose i guess will be to nerf magic sadly.... but if they do that than this army will lost abig part of theyre fluff, i gues they should be magic dependent and magic should be very strong.

6. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Thunder Lizard, is, again, too big to reasonably be used without heavy fluff retcon or just a horrible nerfing in stats, size, etc.
    Coatl I could see as a kinda mount for a Lord-Level Skink Priest/Skink Lord Character.
    I don't think this is ever going to happen, too broken, will almost never have more then one, and doesn't work from a fluff standpoint. Let alone how they'd justify the saurus keeping up with them, or the Saurus 'goading' them. They'd need Krox, which lack the mental capacity to actually do that, and it'd up the price tag hugely.
    Aren't the howdah's there to, like, drive the Stegadon? So without it they'd have something like Stupidity, i'd immagine....
    But how is the big question, I'd love it if my Caro was more survivable when it came to a cannon, but unless it can get a ward save, there isn't really a way to solve it. And a monster with a ward save.... Well, that's probably never going to happen.
    That just seems like a wishlisting thing to make our army more (brokenly) awesome....
    Love the more core idea.
    Love the exploding frogs idea.
    Just wanted to say that, because that idea rules!

7. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

Saurus riding juvenile Carnosaurs as Monstrous Cavalry. The Tomb Kings got the Necropolis Knights, so we could get something like this.

Definetly would have Frenzy, not sure about Hatred though. 2-3 Wounds. Lots of attacks, hit real hard, everything you'd expect from a 'small' Carnosaur, being ridden by another smaller but still very mean dinosaur.

And... yeah... GW is trying to move away from comical things, except when it's stuff like Orks, but even then. Exploding frogs is just one of those things that's a bit too hard to take seriously (yeah, yeah, Catatchan has them).

8. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I'd rather something like a lance-wielding Saurus riding a smaller Stegadon than a juvenile Carnosaur. Something like this:
    Dinorider_DinoandRider_Screen.jpg
    And how about rock throwing beastie? Perhaps an Ankylosaurus with some sort of trebuchet rigged up on his back?
    As for more Core choices, I think a revamped version of Sacred Spawnings would give us enough variety. It just needs to be done right. Failing that, we could always get a unit of warbeasts.

9. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

well i wouldnt like to get any war machines, salamandra, razordon, steg howdahs are quite enough for a jungle army, we shoudl get some preditor cooldblooded beast.
    IMO they should rewamp razordon for CC monster.
    spawning would be cool, but like you said they should do a good job with them.

or we could get some sort of monstrous cavalry:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qh25XeoSpxI/S9SZ5sXXuRI/AAAAAAAAAgY/WYEG77c-yd8/s1600/%7BDP2%7D+Final+1.jpg

10. ShivanAngel
    Skink

ShivanAngel New Member

I would like elite infantry that arent crazy overcosted because of how the interact with a slaan.

Something like Saurus Elite

WS4 Str 4 T4 A2
    5+ Scaly Skin, Heavy Armor, Great Weapons something like 15 ppm.

11. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Cool idea Shivan Angel, although those are quite similar to temple guard. What about something like...

Obsinite Guard
    WS4 Str4 T4 A1 I1
    5+ scaly, heavy armor, shield 2+ save!
    Spears - with armor piercing special rule
    Can take magical banner up to 50 pts

15 points per model (note, they only have 1 attack) The models would have awesome looking obsinite armor, but due to the bulky nature of the material their movement is restricted (thus the 1 attack).

Now that is an anvil!

With regards to TG: I think they should just change them to be 1-2 points cheaper in armies without a Slann.

12. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

Though a nice idea, i can't see us getting elite saurus. More likely i think would be Cheaper TG with different weapon options. so if you wished you could take them as great weapon weilding nutters. Also to go with this i'd like to see a rule that says TG don't HAVE to join a slaan if he's fielded.

Yours Aye

Mixer

13. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

thats not going to happen because thats not fluff wise... :/ elite and amature saurus would be great :)
    for elite high armour, GW, for amateur frenzy, LD 6, no weapons two claw hands that count as two hand weapons should be good.
    and something similar two kroxigors, one unit with GW (this unit should join skinks) the other with frenzy and two claws again counts as two hand weapons :)

14. ShivanAngel
    Skink

ShivanAngel New Member

I still like the elite saurus thing, also really wouldnt mind kroxigors going down in price to like 40-45 ppm.

15. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

O.k., so seriously, all I want are Chameleons that can see in all directions. What could be more true to the character of the minis?

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

LOL true they do have independently swiveling eyes. :jawdrop:

17. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Things I would like to see:
    Halberd, Great Weapon and Light Armor options for Saurus.

Skinks getting to use poison in close combat (S3 T2 skinks are just too damn squishy to viably use in a block formation)

Short Bow option for Skinks

A Skink Witch Doctor (Lvl 2 Skink Priest who can choose any lore)

Skinks mounted on Razordons or Salamanders (Fast Cav)

18. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Alright, got a bit more well developed idea now.

The fluff readers amongst us will know the way saurus work, the more experienced Saurus warriors eventually get promoted to Scar-Vets and if they survive long enough they become Oldbloods. The Temple Guard are a separate spawning of course! The unit I want to see is a step between Saurus and Scar-Vets.

Saurus Soldiers (Special - 15 pts)
    You may not have more Saurus Soldiers in an army than Saurus Warriors. Scar-vets increase this limit by 10, Oldbloods by 20.
    M4 WS4 BS0 S4 T4 W1 I2 A2(1) LD8 (same stats as Temple Guard)

Weapons and Armour
    Ankylodon spear (spear, armour piercing)
    Light armour
    Ankylodon shield (shield, +2 armour save, -1 attack)

Special Rules
    Cold Blooded
    5+ Scaly Skin

You can see where I'm going with the fluff of these just looking at their equipment (which would be available to scarvets and oldbloods as equipment choices in the new book, also I think saurus cav would have the spears.) The fluff idea of a bunch of saurus hunting an ankylodon (warhammerspeak for ankylosaurus) is pretty cool, the ones that survive the great hunt return with scars and pieces of the beast which they fashion into massive shields and wicked spears.

Fluffy, cool looking models (so long as they get the shields right), and it provides no-Slann armies with a nice option, and another reason to take Oldblood armies.

19. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

i dont realy like the restriction "more than saurus warriors" and i dont like those restrictions in any army.

overall that would be a great unit, huge armoursave, points are good.
    Bu i like more dino looking army so if they would make more monsters i certenly will take them not these guys :) no offence, theyre good.

20. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Caneghem, I think that's a great unit with some good fluff you got there, models should look awesome too (if my mind's eye comes up with something like a sculpter would).

Personally, I think for light cav lizards riding one of those dinos that bash their heads togeather. Can't remember the name, but the pokemon Rampardos is based on them, if you give it a google.