1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lizardmen End Times Rumor from Warseer

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by hdctambien, Dec 1, 2014.

1. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

THAT BEING SAID: people are still playing it.
    (mostly with custom rules and warbands)

2. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

The Fay Enchantress is only ONE mage is the big problem the rest are only slightly less limited than our Skink Priests our Slann can channel as if he's three different mages and if we have Loremaster High Magic then we have as many spells as Brettonnia does, we reroll on dispel attempts AND while yes he can afford 2 Prophetesses for one kitted out Slann that one Slann makes a unit stubborn, he only gets a single stubborn unit with a maximum of 5 ranks an 4 guys on the back and a Slann can take more than Life, Beasts or Heavens and
    Really If it had been any other caster he would have been out-magiced in everything but Life with the Fay Enchantress becsuse the book is too old the problem is that he's being outdone in all but 2 places, 1 on the charge due to the lance formation and 2 against monsters and characters due to Heroic Killing Blow which comes out of magic items points he's still doing well in comps but only just he's smashing or being smashed he had his entire ARMY except for Peg Knights, 1 unit of Knights Realm his 2 Trebuchet and his 2 units of Archers (The Trebuchet & Archers for obvious reasons) in combat with 1 Generic Saurus block of 52 Saurus and 1 Slann and still by the end of the game hadn't killed the Slann and there was 5 Saurus left in the unit and it STILL held and it had killed 2 units of Knights and his Heroic Killing Blow Lord with my Saurus Cavalry cavalry quickly advancing down the field after killing all but the Archers who would have died in the next turn anyway!

Indeed for one I play it! :D

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I think the biggest issue is: Can the slann not only make his points back, BUT can he compensate for the rest of the army? We all know how WS10/I10 saurus can be awesome, even more when they're templeguards. But generally speaking does the slann compensate? Personally I'm not so sure really.

He's nice for allt he things you guys have mentioned. Yes he's resiliant. Got good channel abilities,. Can reroll failed dispel attemps. All that is great. But can he make the rest of our book compatible to the rest of the army? Just look at it and look at how a LM army generally do against other players:

Saurus either don't do anything or get crushed. Kroxigors are squishy and always strikes last - YIKES. The steg is good, but risk getting shot to pieces not to mention 3 WS3 attacks. How about the Ripperdatyls? Nasty units IF they get to attacks which means that any elf and chaos armies,.. and skaven? Unlike Wild Riders we can't just charge them up the face of our opponents. Razordons are a completely different matter.

So the issue here is that 1) we no longer can be loremaster of everything and 2) we have no safe way to get spells off (reroll dice, add numbers or anything) and 3) we can't force spells because of our guards and unlike 7th edition we can't get rid of out miscast.

Lots changed and personally I don't find us that much more offensive than others. We have more spells, we can cast through skinks and we may or may not channel more dice, but that's not a way to base your battle plan around.

This is why half our book "suck". A lot of our models cannot keep up with what we're facing and we cannot rely on magic to do the trick.

Hell apparently having a ton of spells isn't even that relevant because AFAIK people go straight for lore of death anyway. Skinks + cowboys + characters snipe your way to victory. YAWN.

However this is not to say that our book doesn't work. Against friendly players who play casually we can very well use some of these less optimial (in the grand scheme of things) units.

Lets just take kroxigors. 400pts of kroxie + champ vs 400pts + champ of vargheists? 4 kroxigors will be removed before they get to swing and then they'll only remove 2 models and lose by a million resulting in getting run down.
    Against crypt horrors is's quite equal if it wasn't for the fact that not only can you get more horros so they'll last longer, but they can have their save boosted and very easily be ressurected.The kroxigors would tie for one round and get stomped the second time around.

Kroxigors are good at killing knights with GWs or monsters. Comparably the above mentioned VC units are considered some of the best monstrous infantry you can get, depending on play style and what you want from them.

If GW changes how magic works they'll very easily change our book. That's is.

4. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

can i ask when our latest book/codex was released?

5. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

August 2013

6. Overlord of Serpents
    Cold One

Overlord of Serpents Active Member

Well if the rumors and the suggestions in Thanquol hold true, the Slann will soon be gone from our army forever, which may mean some really awesome buffs for Saurus and Skinks to help balance the army back up!

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Id bet on a generic Kroak, im pretty sure we will see 'undead' slanns :) Or at least I hope so. I wouldnt bet on buffing the units, gw knows only nerfbat, unless you mean skink lords as buffs. Id welcome that too, but i wouldnt expect any other buffs. Worst case scenario: wizzarding hat on old bloods, 1+ armor, gw, and middle finger to the rest of the world! :D

8. Saansilt
    Jungle Swarm

Saansilt New Member

Do any of you think we may see a merge or at least compatibility with 40k, like WarmaHordes?

9. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Amen to that!