1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lone "cowboy" Scar Veteran

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Hasnat, Mar 4, 2012.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

im sure the faq makes it so it doesnt come from magic allowance it is only a mount

2. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

I wish that were the case :/ Unfortunately the FAQ is only referring to whether the Horned One is destroyed when someone strikes with a 'magic breaking' item or not. It counts as a mount for those purposes but still counts towards the magical points allotment :( Something that they might be changing in our next book! :D

3. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Horned ones as normal mount upgrades for characters would be excellent, no stupidity and M8 is nice.

4. Anubris
    Saurus

Anubris New Member

After reading through this thread I got excited about trying out a mounted scar-vet. I used him in a practice game last night (2k WoC vs 1k DE + 1k Lizards ''trusted allies''). We allowed my scar-vet to be in a unit of dark elf cold one knights. At turn 2, I charged out of the unit into a Chimera and caused 2 wounds (saved my own wounds). :rage: The chimera ended up fleeing and I pursued, leading us to a lot of points :)

I used the following equipment:
    cold one, LA, charmed shield, burning blade of chotec, dawnstone.

I didn't get to test the dawnstone a lot (didn't have to use it at all) but I'm really impressed by the burning blade of chotec; really cheap item and it makes your scar-vet a true monster slayer!

5. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

I have been thinking of running a similar build Anubris, only possibly with Sword of Might over Burning Blade for that extra strength. This means dropping the Dragon Helm which I ussually bring and, consequently, that 2+ ward vs flaming.

Now here's the question.

There's a lot of flaming out there at the moment (Banner of Eternal Flame, cheap Fireballs, Ruby Rings, etc) and some of it can really ruin the Cowboy's day (anything from Lore of Metal), for which having a 2+ ward is excellent. For those of you using the Dragonhelm or even the Dragonbane Gem, do you find it a necessity or not something to worry about?

In other words, is there enough deadly flaming stuff out there that means its best to stick with Dragonhelm? Or is worrying about it an overreaction?

6. the ironfoot
    Cold One

the ironfoot New Member

You don't have to lose your ward. The Dragonbane gem fit's nicely in the 50 points alowance combined with dawnstone and SoM/burning blade. Throw in light armor + shield and your AS doesn't suffer.
    Also, as alternative for the SoM you could keep the dragonhelm and get a dawnstone, VoFF and a halberd. With light armor you get a nice 1+ AS

For this you'd have to give up the charmed shield though, but a 1+ reroll AS is pretty impressive and if you send your scar veteran against something where it needs the CS, it will probably need more than just one use, but offcourse my vet is usually in a unit of COC so cannons aren't a big problem.

7. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

The Gem and the Dawn Stone are both Talismans: you can't carry more than one item from the same category. So its either/or.

I usually run the 1+ re-rollable with a halberd for 150 points. If I can squeeze an extra 15 in I prefer Other Trickster's Shard (lots of Tzeentch Warriors in local meta; not so many ethereals). However, when I built the model I gave him a really nice looking shield, so I figure I should stat him appropiately to be WYSIWYG.

8. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Scar Vet, Cold One, Armor of Destiny, great weapon. I don't have a lot of experience with these guys, but this seems like a natural choice to me. Why don't I see this combo more often?

9. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

I use that build sometimes. The reason i dont use it more is because dawnstone > 4++ ward in many situations and leaves more points for offense Against anything Str 6 or less a dawnstone is better.

armor of destiny is great for all-comers lists or if you are fighting cannons.

10. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

AoD is great period. I like having the dawnstone on my SV tho. you can kit up a 1+ rerollable BSB for his 50 points. AoD is better on the Old blood i tink