1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Lost kingdom minatures

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ILKAIN, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

To everyone who backed this KS, WE DID IT!!!

The awesome alt carnosaur & riders have been unlocked!! Also, it looks like they added some really cool KS exclusive sculpts for anyone who pledges before 04/25 (TOMORROW!!)).

Here's a pix of the Hueitechcatl:
    [​IMG]

and the new KS exclusive model they added not too long ago:
    [​IMG]

Nazqua and AxXlanaxKaiXaNka like this.
  2. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Wha... Whatcha got there

3. Cleave
    Jungle Swarm

Cleave New Member

Here's the May release for the Patreon, some very nice Chameleon Skinks and Kroxigors. I believe you can wait until May, sign up at the 10 euro level and then cancel if you only want these miniatures which is a bargain, there'll be tons of greast models coming in the future but not all Lizardmen.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/may-release-36279932

May release.jpg

4. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I’ve signed up for the Patreon as I want the “regular” models. I’ve always wanted a chaos dwarf army too ;)

Has anyone tried printing any of the STL files yet?

5. AxXlanaxKaiXaNka
    Skink

AxXlanaxKaiXaNka New Member

Yeah I have printed out quite a few and they are really great. I will be posting some pics of printed stuff on this forum before long.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Lium like this.
  6. Titchy_Stryder
    Saurus

Titchy_Stryder Active Member

Is there anyone on here in the UK that took up the retail pledges and will be printing for sale?

7. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I haven't got a 3D printer yet but I am practising with Chitubox amd I am struggling with support placement on the more intricate models, is it literally just a case of supporting the hell out of everything?

8. AxXlanaxKaiXaNka
    Skink

Not exactly. It's better to use as few supports as possible or at least mostly very small supports because you want to cause less blemishes and cleanup later. But figuring out how few you can get away with or how small you can make them without the model failing can be a big challenge.

A very big part of it is in the orientation of the model. You want to ensure that the heavier supports are hitting areas of the model that are less visible and that the most visible parts of the model have minor supports, or none at all. There are also other considerations to orientation like the amount of surface area the print has at any one time generating more suction and meaning the print can be more likely to fail, at least without stronger supports(which in turn require more cleanup after the fact).

You can also mess with the support settings to essentially make supports that are lighter for holding up detailed islands, while having heavier supports that are more for load bearing and will be likely to leave zits on the model that require clean up similar to mold lines.

I suggest you check out the YouTube channel "3dprintingpro". Greg, the guy who runs it, has an incredible series starting from the basics and going up to some really advanced tips and tricks if you watch all his stuff. He really informed most of my opinion above and taught me this method of having some of the supports essentially be load bearing while the others are extremely tiny for fine detail(and therefore almost melt off in warm water before curing leaving no blemishes or zits). He also highlights a lot of the tricks to using the program and getting better support positioning without tearing your hair out.

You should just watch his entire channel (or 90% of it) chronologically in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Cuetzpal Pilli and Karnus like this.
  9. Cleave
    Jungle Swarm

Cleave New Member

AxXlanaxKaiXaNka likes this.
  10. AxXlanaxKaiXaNka
    Skink

Everything is now unlocked. Although they are waiting to show off the last models until tomorrow.

That went quite fast.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  11. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

But I don’t wanna have to buy 2 printer why me why lord why!!!

12. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Yeah if I had a printer I would. as is ill just most likely order from @AxXlanaxKaiXaNka lol

13. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I don't have a printer but I thought I would snap up the files now before they go up in price later on down the line. I will get a 3D printer eventually, I am using the time to learn the software etc. The quality on the models is insane.

14. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

You said it man!! My last post was the last time I'd checked the campaign, then I logged on here just three days later and see everything is unlocked. "Love it when a [kickstarter] comes together." Haha!

AxXlanaxKaiXaNka likes this.
  15. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

To you guys that back these, do you actually play on the table? The detail and all seems great, I just feel like they stand out too much compared to GW models which is why I havent bothered. Would love to be proven wrong.

16. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I play 8th edition with a group of friends and I can say that it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. One guy uses "black orcs" from like 5th edition, another has some empire from god knows when. Point being there is a huge range of quality of sculpt on the table at any one time and are all perfectly legitimate to represent units in the army book.

The only downside is if we go to warhammer world (we try and go once a year) the lost kingdoms won't be accepted yet my mates mono-pose classics will be despite them looking like they came out of a cereal box. Luckily I have plenty of GW official models for such an occasion (and hope my LK kroxigor go un-noticed ;) )

I miss the days when GW would actively encourage conversions and scratch built models, it was a golden age for an orc player. Far gone is the time where they would give you a cardboard cut-out proxy of an orc dreadnought in a starter box.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

But are those mismatched sculpts also within a single army?

E.g. 1 army consisting of 5th edition orcs v.s. an army of 3th edition empire soliders probably doesn't look that weird. Whereas an army with models from every edition probably does look weird (or a mirrormatch..)

18. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Oh yeah of course, there's a bit of a mismatch in every army. You hardly notice when they are all on the tabletop

19. JimInk
    Skink

JimInk New Member

I wonder how these minis compare to the last sword miniatures lizardmen. A combination of these two ranges (if they fit with scale) would make an amazing lizardmen army.

If anyone ends up with minis from both companies please post some up together.

20. AxXlanaxKaiXaNka
    Skink

One of the great things about 3D printing is you can scale the models however you want (within reason). For example the Lost Kingdom stuff is 32mm and the skinks come out much larger looking than GW skinks, but if you rescale them to 28mm they are the same height and size, if a little bulkier around the wrists and ankles(compared to the GW skinks). While I dont have any of the Last Sword lizardmen, they say they are 32mm so they would probably work pretty well together already, and if not you can change the Lost Kingdom stuff to fit.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Canas like this.