1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lustria-Online's Unit Painting Challenge with PRIZES

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

If I use the NG Spearmen on your plog as a comparison I'm in a world of trouble :D

2. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

The spider riders are going to look more rushed than the night goblins since I'm trying to speed paint them ;) finished my first spider rider, happy with the colours, looks a bit messy though, hopefully I can get the other 9 finished in time!

3. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

You want a regular infestation, huh :)

No, as slow as I paint, I can't afford to lose the little progress I've made on my Boar Boyz. Plus, I'd hate to look even worse by comparison with 2 other identical units when the results are posted.

4. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

i know what you mean Tiger, i haven't done anything painting wise for the last 5 days. got to get my finger out! Nearly finished my Goblins though, just touchups & highlights to do really. Haven't touched the Spiders yet.

5. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I'm about half way through my spiders, they dont take too long if you get a good system. I think the goblins are gonna take me the longest as they have quite a bit of fine detail.

6. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Okay here is the pic of the unit I will paint for the competition:

dsc05229ek.jpg

Its a 20 man Tomb Guard unit armed with halberds and shields. I still have to cut the shields from the sprue though.

7. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

I hope the enxt challenge is a single mini again, I really can't be bothered to finish entire units anymore >.< I just get bored way too easily..

8. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

that's what i figured too, which is why i started on the Gobbos first :) Have been looking at the 'eavy metal spiders on GW though and I want to try at least 1 of the bonebacks - maybe more if i can actually get them to look half good.
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat640011a&aId=14300008a

i know what you mean Didymus, but I really hope the next one is another unit or MC, i've way too many minis unpainted and this is the perfect reason for me to get something done about it. :)

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am almost done with mine. I have based them and still need to do some small detail work. Should be finished before the 1st of August.

10. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Nice, I'll be interested to see how they turn out! Mine are all red + bone details as I think it compliments the rest of my minis (particularly those night goblins I already have painted and also some of my older Orcs and Goblins). The "theme" colour for my O&G army is red.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm I had you down for a unit of skeleton horsemen, have you changed your mind at this stage? No worries if you have, I just assumed most people would be more than half done by now. :)

We haven't really talked about the next challenge much yet, but I am fairly sure that it will be a single model rather than a unit again. We'll see.

2 weeks and one day left! I am looking forward to seeing some of the completed work!

12. Syltaryn
    Saurus

Syltaryn New Member

If by half completed you mean half started then I'm right on track! So far have my test model mostly done and the start of my base coats on the rest of the temple guard. I've got my work cut out for me to hit the deadline. How's everyone else going?

13. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

Just need to finish the crest of the 2nd salamander, infact make that start :p

14. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Yeah I changed my mind, asked if I could change :p
    I hope I can finish em :p

15. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Bit over half way through after a long night last night of painting, painted 6 goblins and a spider in a night to bring the total up to 6 completed spiders and 7 completed goblins. I'm not painting them with as much "speed" as I was hoping, lol.

Seven, did you find the goblins dont fit on the spiders properly? I painted them before assembly and the damn tab on the goblin backsides dont fit in the hole on the spiders' backs so I'm having to trim them off before gluing them on, which is fiddly when they're painted :p

16. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah seems like they positioned the hole for the goblin to fit into the spider too far back so it can't actually go into the hole without scraping against the back of the spider.

Also... random rant that has nothing to do with the thread... I haaaaate the way GW can't release a bloody paint tin that doesn't dry out!! I almost hit the roof when I had to touch up a small slip of the brush when painting gobbo eyes only to find my orkhide shade was dried out when I bought it less than a year ago, argh!! I must have wasted at least $150 on rebuying paints that have dried out over the years.

17. 1968yearofmetall
    Cold One

1968yearofmetall New Member

Speaking of speedpainting, I finished 20 clanrats today, started yesterday With the basecoats and did the washes today. I'm pretty satisfeid accually :)

18. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

i haven't put any together yet, but yeah they sit up a bit higher than they probably should. the spiders don't fit right down into the slot on the base either, not that you can really see it thankfully.

19. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah, I'm just pushing the spiders down until the "feet" hit the ground, which isn't quite the whole way down.

I've ended up shaving the backside off the riders, removing both the tab and also around 1mm off the bottom of the goblins. They're slightly convex in shape (probably so they can be released from the mould) which makes them sit oddly, after shaving off the backside they sit nicely in place with no gaps between the spider and the rider. The top of the spider is pretty much dead flat, so you dont have to carve any complicated shapes to get them to sit a bit better.

I'm really liking the battle for skull pass goblins, they look good and being single pose just makes it so much easier to assemble hordes of them and easier to get into a groove painting them. I think multipose models are a bit over rated for things like this. I spend half my time cleaning mould lines, testing parts fit right and gluing them together for most the multipart kits.

20. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

i hear that - i've been caught out a few times with multipose figures; sometimes the arms etc only fit onto one body type, and I'm a production line assembler, all the bodies then head, arms etc. so I sometimes end up with the last mini whose arms/legs/head/whatever other appendages they may have don't sit right and I've got to hack and slash a bit.
    On the plus side, i've got a week and half's post-op recovery time coming up so I'm sure i'll finish the my Spidah Widahs by the dealine, whether they'll look good enough for a vote is another matter. Hopefully it'll give me a chance to paint my Tyranids for my local GW store's 40K in 40 minutes campaign too :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.