1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have added a section to discuss Kings of War and the new race Salamanders that is currently in beta. Feel free to discuss anything about Kings of War in these forums. Click here to check it out and post!
    Dismiss Notice

8th Ed. Making lists for YOU! (8th and 9th)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by airjamy, Nov 30, 2015.

1. airjamy
    Razordon

airjamy Active Member

My thread is still alive, jeej! Will get back to you with lists in the coming few days :)

2. airjamy
    Razordon

airjamy Active Member

First one up!

Your model count seems to be perfect for an infantry focussed list. You do have two monsters, but i will see if i can go around cutting them to deny your enemy their cannon shots. You have a good ammount of Skinks, which is lovely. Skinks are silly overpowered in Oldhammer if you ask me. The list is 2501 in total, but that should be ok in all non tournament environments. The result is a pretty grindy list with a lot of highly effective chaff to grind your enemy down and outmaneuver them.

Lords

Slann Mage Priest. General. BSB. Soul of Stone. Harmonic Convergence. Wandering Deliberations. Becalming Cogitation. Channeling Staff. Banner of Discipline. Ironcurse Amulet. Bread and butter Slann in a unit of TG that i have showed before. Dominates the magic phase, and miscasts aren't that bad due to Soul of Stone and low casting values in Wandering Deliberations. Should work every time, if this guy dies, you are dead most of the time. Do not forget the Amulet on him, 6++ against all artillery helps.

Heroes

Skink Priest. Beasts. Scroll. Your general scroll caddy Arcane Vassal conduit. Most things that are really strong in 8th, most notably Warriors of Chaos, have good saves. Being able to cast the lore of metal signature spell with more range is thus very good. This spell wipes Demigryph knights and Bloodcrushers, so stay on the lookout for this combo. It is also another Wyssans that you can cast every turn if you have some dice left over, and scrolls are good. Every serious list in 8th has magic in it, so this amount of anti magic is no overdose.

Scarvet. Cold One. GW. Light Armor. Dawnstone. Dragon Helmet

Core

6x10 Skink Skirmishers. Javelins and Shields. General purpose broken unit that is used to redirect charges, kill monsters and win the deployment phase. Always be sure to first deploy all your skinks and then your salamanders so you 100% know where everything your opponent owns goes so you can react accordingly. Never forget that they have 5+ 6++ in CC, so they don't die quite as fast as other skinks.

40 Saurus Warriors. Sword and Board. Banner. Musician. Typical anvil. Try to always have your infantry units in the center, especially with this list. You are lacking the Lore of High Magic spell that lets you make ethereal moves, so these guys will be even slower then normal. Don't always expect them to make their points worth, they are area denial units that make your magic do their thing. Never take Champions, they are not worth it, take another body. Never take spears, the one extra attack is not worth it.

Special

25 TG. Banner. Music. This is where your Slann hides. Should never run with LD10 3D6 rerollable and should chop pretty hard. This unit and your Sauri are 1# priority when casting Wyssans when they are in combat.

3 Rippers. Hunt Warmachines and are nice to put in the side or rear of an enemy unit. Very squishy to bolts and Dwarven missile fire though, so use the terrain to your advantage wherever you can. These guys and your sallies are the main users of cover in this list.

8 Cold one knights. Hammer unit and place where your Scarvet hides. This is probably the most controversial unit in the list as COC are seen as pretty underpowered. I like having them as ways to hide my Scarvet, and having speed in the list is always good. They should gobble up all opposing chaff, and you can put them into monsters. They hate bolt throwers though, so kill them if they are against you. You have 8 instead of 9 due to point efficiencies.

Rare

2 Sallies. Snacks. Roasts hordes. Always take a snack to mitigate damage from first misfire. If one has a good hit, it pays for 2 units immediately, so take 2.

n810 likes this.
  3. airjamy
    Razordon

airjamy Active Member

And the next one! In 9th, point values are basically doubled at this point so i will use the 4500 list example. In 9th, the Monster Mash strategy is seemingly the most effective right now but sadly you do not have the models for that at this point. You can still field a babycarno though, with how bad artillery shooting has gotten when compared to 8th that should not be to big of an issue. You do not want to field a Slann with that though i think, but maybe you need to due to point values. I'll see what i can make!

Sadly, after some calculations, i have come to the conclusion that you simply do not have enough models to make a legal list. You need 900 points in core for a 4500 P list, and you only have your unit of sauri and your skinks. Consider adding more skinks into your collection, as they are still pretty good, and more monsters to make your list competitive.

4. Luke
    Jungle Swarm

Luke New Member

Wow thanks for the list. I will certainly be trialling this in my upcoming battle against vampire counts :)

airjamy likes this.
  5. airjamy
    Razordon

airjamy Active Member

Sure, let us know how it fared!

6. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

Hi! I am looking for a competitive 2000 point army list. I have 1 Slann, 1 Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, 1 Oldblood/Scar/vet on foot, Gor-Rok, 1 Cowboy, 50 Saurus Warriors, 36 Skink Skirmishers, 20 Temple Guard, 15 Cold Ones, 3 Ripperdactyls, 1 Salamander, 1 Ancient Steg, and 9 Chameleon Skinks. I play against High Elves, Skaven, Orcs, Undead, and Dwarfs. Thank you!

7. airjamy
    Razordon

airjamy Active Member

You forgot to mention which system you are playing in, is this for 8th or 9th or (god forbid) AOS?

8. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

Sorry. I play 8th edition.

9. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

I also got another box of terradon/ ripperdactyls for Christmas