1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medieval facts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aginor, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sir Rathalos
    Saurus

Sir Rathalos Well-Known Member

Interesting fact.... The medieval times were in the past

Thats the extent of my knowledge, use it wisely

Captaniser, Canas and LizardWizard like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well I can't beat that wisdom. Guess we'l have to close the thread now :p

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

After learning, Plate mail is pretty awesome, especially against lots of arrowfire. However I did get to see how platemail was developed to try and survive bullets. The results were interesting to say the least with more concentration on the vitals, as it as accepted that it was impossible to protect every part of the the user.

Now, the real question I have is how did scale armor and padded stuff fare against arrows?
    And I just saw some stuff on the Roman klivanion hence why I wanted to know about the question above

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Protecting yourself from Arrow fire was relativly easy. If you had plate you were basicly imprevious unless you got unlucky and it went down an eye-slit or something. Mostly it was just annoying to have stuff pelted at you constantly. If you had something like a gambeson or similarly padded armour you'd be fairly protected as the thing would be thick enough to stop the arrow, at the very least from being lethal though it's quite likely to poke through and cause some superficial scratches especially with the stronger bows & better arrowheads. Also padded armour has the downside of not being able to cover yourself in it like you can do with full plate, so more weakspots for a stray arrow to hit something vital.

Scale armour if I remember correctly was generally a bit worse as you can relativly easily knock off a couple of scales creating weakspots. It did have the advantage of being easier to fix as well though. And scale could be made with lower quality iron. Also, scale armour is less flexible hence why things like the Roman klivanion only really cover the chest and you need seperate pieces of armour for other bodyparts which means even more weakspots. The romans probably relied more on their giant shields for protection against arrows.

Edit: one thing I forgot, the scales only go in one direction. So god forbid someone manages to land a blow (or arrow) going against the scales. They'd at the very least probably rip of some scales if not penetrate the thing depending on how well it's made and maintained.

Aginor, Lizerd and ChapterAquila92 like this.