1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved Missing Razordon Leg

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lizalfos, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Lizalfos
    Jungle Swarm

Lizalfos New Member

Hello everyone!

I am a very new player to Lizardmen and Warhammer in general, and I just started my collection with two purchases on ebay. Now, I knew that by going with ebay I was setting myself up for missing parts, so I was not surprised to find a lot of models without arms, heads, or shields. Now, most of these things I can replace easily enough from websites that sell bitz or just from extras when I start buying kits. However, there is one thing I am having trouble replacing. One listing included a some metal Razordons. There are enough handlers to have two Razordons, as well as one complete Razorodon. What is frustrating to me is that there are enough parts to make a whole second Razordon, except a right leg. I have no experience with the new plastic kits, so I don't know if there is a compatible part there. Plastic or metal, I am having trouble locating a replacement leg. I am very new to anything relating to miniatures, so I don't think I could make a green stuff replacement with my skill level. Any suggestions? Or is making the second Razordon a lost cause?

Thank you! :)

2. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Hiya.
    No, it is never a lost cause. I dont know of any compatible parts, but even with limited greenstuff skills it should be doable.

You just need to trick things a little bit. My greenstuff skills are also virtually non existant, but you dont really have to sculpt it properly, you just need to hide the leg. I missed the legs of the orc shaman on boar, got the blister very cheap, but missed that it had been glued again after having been opened before.

Anyway, here are a few things you can do.

1. You drill a hole in the model where the leg should be and you put in some metal wire that you bent in the shape you want the leg to be. Then you try to sculpt the leg with greenstuff as best as you can. But it doesnt have to be very good. Details are not important, but the overall thickness needs to be close to the other legs, but that is doable. Then after painting the model you just use plants etc on the base to obscure the leg as much as possible..

2. Again this revolves around the base. If it are the back legs you could model your base like it is water or a swamp. And you could pretend the model is climbing out of the water/mud and that its hind legs are still submerged. This may involg grinding down some of the belly, but that is easier than sculpting a perfect leg.

anyway something like this (random pic ripped from internet).

[​IMG]

3. Practice Practice Pratice, until you can sculpt a leg. ;) mission impossible for me though.

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

@Lizalfos is sculpting square-ish things within your skill set?

If so, try doing a simpler version of borkbork's #1 and #2. (Disguise it.) Sculpt a squared off Lizardman style milestone marker. One of the square zig-zag snake looking things. A micro terrain piece, that just happens to block most all views to the missing leg.

4. Lizalfos
    Jungle Swarm

Lizalfos New Member

Thank you so much for the advice! I have another stupid question. :( I know it is suggested that one make the mile markers and statues out of foam, what kind of foam should I use? I know it is probably common knowledge, so I am sorry, but I have never figured out what kind of foam to look for.

5. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

The problem with foam is that it is called something differently everywhere.

the White bubbly foam is horrible (except for hills etc).

You need the denser, more rubbery foam. Common names are styrofoam, Styrodur.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

@Lizalfos , the goto foam for sculpting big terrain from is Extruded Poly-Styrene. EPS. That is the generic SCIENCE term.

Styrofoam is Dow Chemical's trademark for it.

Foamular is Owens Corning's trademark for it.

There could be a similar material with a different trademarked name in the building supply centre nearest you depending on what country you are in.

If you try the simple statue approach I would suggest using square cross section balsa wood or basswood as the base material for the blocky statue. With balsa wood most of the carving could be done with a ball-point pen.

[edit]
    @n810 's top picture [next post] is probably DOW Styrofoam.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

this is the good stuff (comes in many colors)
    or

but not this. (unless you are making hills or ruins.)

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

The white bubbly foam is horrible for everything.

The 'quality' of it has been reduced in the last 5-10 years, weighs less, works better as packaging perhaps but newer stuff is horrible even for terrain.

borkbork likes this.
  9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

It's ok if you coat it with something durable like plaster or spackling.
    (or lots of white glue)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Ixt likes this.
  10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Ok, never noticed. I think i got some decents plates of the stuff here recently. It works for hills for me, but yeah the other stuff is not much more expensive so that is probably better.

11. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I've never had any luck finding foam in reasonable quantities or prices down here in Australia. If anyone knows any good places to get foam please enlighten me!

12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I'd try to find the missing leg, either with Terrain, or simple create a heavy foliage/pool area from which he can be coming from.
    On top of that, I'd recommend getting some instant mould and making a cast of the missing leg from one of the other ones you have (if you have a spare).

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Oh, here's the missing Razordon leg* that I reconstructed with green stuff (some of my first GS work).
    it's not amazing, but if your not looking for it, it's barely noticeable. (front right leg)*
    [​IMG]

Ixt, Slanputin and Herr Pete like this.
  14. Lizalfos
    Jungle Swarm

Lizalfos New Member

Thank you guys so much! :) That leg looks pretty good! I think I will try and make a greenstuff leg and us a totem of some kind to hide it. Will post results when I get around to finishing it. Thank you all so much! :D Where does one find the good foam? Would it be at a craft store or is more of a hardware store thing?

EDIT: I apologize for my absence, I am getting married in August, so there has been a lot of running around planning stuff.

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

probably the local hardware store, for any large pieces of foam.

16. Lizalfos
    Jungle Swarm

Lizalfos New Member

I might also look for a mold in my local hobby store if they have something like that. I have not yet attached the leg onto the other razordon, so I could potentially make a mold of it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  17. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

yeah, there is a stuff called easy mold which works quite decent. You wont find it in a hardware store though.