1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Mixed emotions on new book announcement and other Misc thoughts.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ILKAIN, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

you know what kinda grinds my gears? the thought that with the ever present power creep demonstrated in just about every released book, our book will be amazing... and all the FOTM players will flock to us, and suddenly you will have a bunch of bandwagon Seraphon fans that didn't suffer all the anxiety and teases, that didn't have to learn to play the second worst army at a level that would make any other army a 5-0 at every GT just to win a local store event, that didn't agonize over every other release saying... the next one has to be us, we are all that's left, only to watch two new armies get released... and they will hide among our ranks.

I will be glad for the boost in popularity, and I'm down right ecstatic about the book finally being released, but I truly expect it to be like the Gym in January... all the new years resolutions people flooding our realm like they own the place.... while the real masters of time and space look on and this "fresh spawning"

and the side effects of such popularity and power creep... a nerf immediately after the book releases. we've had a book that was mechanically useless since 2.0 released... getting an errata or faq immediately after release that will make part of the new book wrong again is going to be a slap in the face.

maybe just a rant on my part... and while it hasn't happened yet, it has started. I already have the FOTM players at my LGS speaking about how great they are going to be and how they will teach me a thing or two.. meanwhile I can only laugh as I trash their horribly placed units and watch them be buried under the 250 wounds of skinks I flooded the board with.

maybe im just the grumpy old slann… give me my rocking chair and ill talk about "pepperidge farm remembers"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

you know grumpy slann was made for stuf like this

3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I have these same anxieties. lol
    Also, I will have to rewrite all my list. Which will be both incredibly fun and labor intensive. The thought of having to potentially relearn an army that I feel a degree of mastery over is also anxiety inducing.

4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

mmm regardless of the out come im going to be building lists for days

5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Likewise :D

Dr.Doom and Erta Wanderer like this.
  6. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I don't mind reworking lists, that's actually a part of the game I love... the tinkering... but I feel for you with all the work you did on these forums to present all those viable lists to other players that don't have your same level of experience.

Dr.Doom, Dragvindel and LizardWizard like this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Here's hoping that Skink Starseers are worth putting on the table :D

8. Dragvindel
    Cold One

Dragvindel Well-Known Member

I may be only 2 months out of the spawning pools, but I can understand

Dr.Doom and LizardWizard like this.
  9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

lol glad you can. this isn't meant as a dig on new players that earnestly like the Seraphon... just the swarm of flavor of the month trade their army every few months for the new shiz field grey armies constantly folk that will act like they have been here the whole time.

Dr.Doom, LizardWizard and Dragvindel like this.
  10. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Just wait, the bandwagoners of fall off once they realize that we're going to be a little bit more difficult to play than Slaanesh is.
    They'll go back to CoS, Slaanesh, IronJawz, etc.

11. Dragvindel
    Cold One

Dragvindel Well-Known Member

I feel you, there will always be people like that that just play for meta or what's new and exciting. I saw the lizardmen in total war, coupled with my friend who works at a games shop wanting to get more people into it made me join.
    So I wandered into Lustria, love it here

12. Lustrian Giant
    Chameleon Skink

Lustrian Giant Well-Known Member

Atleast locally I dont have to deal with these types of people, but I do not want our army to gain something unique and strong (but balanced) and then suddenly have it nerfed into near uselessness because of these people.

13. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Well, this is exactly what Grey Knights experiencing right now. After the recent PA there are a lof of people that "returning after several years and didn't know what happened" or "always wanted to collect but didn't have time and money". They never experienced how it feels to play 40k on hard mode. How it feels to bring a tournament list to a friendly game just not to be tabled turn 3. How it feels to hear: "Your army is ok, because one of the best 40k players in country got descent results with 60% GK list on a single tournament. Just git gud, lmao" (while the very people saying packing their IG/Ynnari/Knights lists to kick some butts). How it feels to win once in a while, when stars align and dice don't mess your plan.
    And these guys just come and ask "ok, I heard GK is good now. How should I win?"

But I cannot blame them, really. No one would like to play a trash army for 2 years. I wanted to sell my minis myself at one point, but realised that I like them too much and that one day they will get their moment of glory. I was right. And newcomers cannot feel this satisfaction when you are rewarded for your waiting. Anyway, I am always glad whan someone joins the Brotherhood and happy to explain, how the army works and how it changed.

And I really enjoy learning anew and crafting lists. Some units may at last rest on shelves for awhile and other stuff can at least see the light. I even forgot some units even existed. Just imagine fielding Oldblod on foot or Troglodon not for fun, but because they really complement your list. This would be awesome!

What really terrifies is the possiblity of getting trashy or broken book. Like one of the best builds in recent StD tome is 80-120 marauders. What, you've got into the army because of mighty warriors of apocalypse, clad in heavy armor? Nah, here is your little ugly vikings and you'll need a lot of them. I doubt that we will end up the same situation with skinks. On the contrary, I'm afraid, that skinks could be hit a bit too hard. But if your new tome would be about spamming saurus/knights/guard to win (or even worse - just to have a chance to win), this would be frustrating. I'd personally better field 4 Carnosaurus than 120 warriors.

But the fact that preview article mentioned popularity of our faction really inspires hope. Maybe, we really were deplayed because they wanted to put more work in our BT? As long as we are okay with internal balance and not too terrible with external, I will be fine with the book.

14. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Lizardmen have always been an army that's difficult to play correctly. I can't imagine it'll be any different now than it ever was, but who knows.

I just want different spawning rules and some kind of increase to saurus. 4+ save preferably, but i'll take anything.

Anything beyond that is just gravy.

15. inakue
    Saurus

inakue Well-Known Member

The Lizardmen playstyle + awesome look is what made me start collecting them. Men, I loved to play those difficult 7th edition army lists. Such a satisfaction when you won the game with your developed strategies and cool dinosaurs vs the gunlines, or nonsense deathstars... Ahh!! What a nice feel! I just hope and pray this book makes me feel that again, and please, don't touch MY SKINKS! Just make them cheaper so I can field 50 PLEASE!!!!

16. Antisense
    Skink

Antisense Active Member

Everything the OP says is true. But yet we love this hobby despite all this, and we'll be glad to receive a new evolution of our beloved army. I look forward to sticking to this army long after our new book becomes old again!

17. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Me too

Dr.Doom, Carnikang and LizardWizard like this.
  18. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Eh I’m not worried about it. Just like my angry metal slann I’m going to keep on doing my thing and I’m not going to worry about the power gamers.

19. Random Lizard
    Cold One

Random Lizard Well-Known Member

Playing Seraphon as my first army (came from TWWH2), i had to learn the position game really quickly or i was getting utterly destroyed every game. Since then i got 2 other armies (Khorne and Fyreslayers) and almost never lose a game because i'm better than my usual opponents at the positionning aspect of the game and at planning ahead.

Seraphon remains my favourite army and the only one up till now that i've spent time painting models (except one khorne dragon but that thing looks so good, i didn't have a choice).

20. Lustrian Giant
    Chameleon Skink

Lustrian Giant Well-Known Member

Love being able to out position my enemies. Hell even get good use out of it with Ogor Mawtribes.
    But I think the biggest thing about it is that the only thing scarier then a strong unit, is a strong unit that gets to be exactly where it needs to be.