1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Most Ridiculous Legal 2250 points Warhammer Army.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by thesecondman, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Krakkakoldi
    Jungle Swarm

Krakkakoldi New Member

Funnily enough, I played a close relative of this list at a Sydney GT five or so years ago. Only differences were the Blood Dragon Vamp Lord was on a winged nightmare, and all core choices were dead doggies. I was using a Dogs of War skirmishing army built on a pirate theme, featuring around 90 odd Duellists armed with pistol + cutlass. He had 4 very large units of Kniggets.

I drew this army in Round 4 (the first on Day 2), after it had racked up three 20-0 wins on Day 1 (and had everybody literally screaming "Cheese").

I basically slipped my skirmishers in to the Citadel grave yard (of all things), until the Vamp Lord got impatient & flew in to the midst of my army, then tried to Van Hels in to contact (which I scrolled away). I then passed 13 Terror tests (on 8, or something equally ridiculous), and moved on to my Shooting phase. 93 pistols tuned to shoot.

It took 45 to take down the Winged Nightmare, then only another 15 to turn the Lord in to a colandar.

Game over: 20-0 win. And this bloke was an utter delight to play - really amazing bloke with a great attitude, who took his complete destruction incredibly well. So well, in fact, that it became his favourite story to be told at subsequent tournaments when players got together between rounds for a laugh & some comradely catching up.

After Day 1, everybody thought that his army was way OTT & well nigh unbeatable & completely unstoppable. After our game, he went on to lose his last two games as well & the terrifying reputation of his army basically evaporated. I have seen similar circumstances in other tournaments as well where supposedly maxed out 'invimcibly cheesy' armies turned out to be very very beatable once their code was cracked & their fundamental flaws exposed. But it's a sad and increasingly present element of our hobby (especially at tournaments) where we moan & whinge incessantly about anything that poses new challenges to our established tactics, strategies & thinking.

And my point is that nothing is unbeatable. If the writers of the rules & army books are even half good, every puzzle posed by army selections will have an answer for those intelligent, flexible & open-minded enough not to submit to any sense of panic or pessimism.

And there is no army listed on this thread so far that I would not hesitate to play. Happily.

(Just my two frog's worth ... :D ;) :smug: )

2. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

Yeah, im not sure if people have pickd up but the idea is to post lists that are both ridiculous AND good.
    An army of just chaos knights, for example, is crap. And one unit of knights with like 12-18 models in it that costs over 2000 points is the sort of thing we're going for...like the blood knight unit army.

Anyhow, on with the stupid lists >.<

3. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

I also play Dwarfs, and I am not sure exactly of the points cost of this, but here goes....

Dwarf Lord

rune of +1 toughness
    rune of +1 armor
    rune of 4+ ward save
    rune of fury (+1 attack)
    rune of +1 magic resistance
    Oath Stone

Thane Battle Standard Bearer
    Strollaz's Rune
    Rune of +2 Magic Resistance

Runesmith
    2 runes of spellbreaking
    Rune of +1 Magic Resistance

3 units of ten thunderers

one unit of between 40 and 50 Iron Breakers with magic banner
    which has rune of courage and +1 Magic Resistance and full command

So in the biggest unit of Ironbreakers you have three characters, and in addition to five dispel dice, you have 5 magic resistance dice which never go away!!!!! also, your main unit has a 2+armor save and strength 4, toughness 4 and a WS of 5. And the Otathstone would take away ranks and rear bonus from charges, park them in the center of the table, and take the hit, then watch the enemy melt away.

Plus 30 thunderers......

Heck, may even be able to fit in a bolt thrower.

However, I really do not think this would be a tourney winning army, since it would be lousy for achieving any objectives, but it would be fun to see.

4. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Not to mention the comp scores you'd be getting.

5. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Doesn't MR NOT stack (Ie MR1 character+ MR 2 unit doens't = MR3) don't you just use the highest?

6. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Slann +BSB +dice +lore +cupped hands
    EotG +lvl2 +tepok
    EotG +lvl2
    EotG +lvl2
    10 Skinks
    10 Skinks
    10 Skinks
    16 Temple Guard +standard
    2000points

or

4xEotG
    3x10skirmishers
    4x4terradons
    2250points

7. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Dwarf Army book p.28
    "At the start of the game, a character with an Oath stone must nominate a unit of Warriors (but NOT Rangers), Longbeards, Ironbreakers, or Hammerers to be his Stonebearers...No other character may join a Stonebearer unit" (underline added for emphasis).

This oathbreaking Dwarf general should dye his hair and beard orange and take a Slayer oath!

IF that was a legal setup, it would be a horrible, horrible, idea. The key would be eliminating his shooting support ASAP, and never really engaging the uber unit (easy to do against slow movers). Your salamanders should be blasting away with their flame template and causing a panic check every turn, something this particular dwarf unit is not totally immune to, as Rune of Courage is only fear and terror. If the lizardman player parks his salamanders on one side of the big unit and continually causes panic checks, and places his Terradons or some other unit US5+ on the other side, the first failed panic check results in a massacre of the Dwarf army. Plink away with every ounce of shooting you have to try to get them below half... and heck, try to bait him into dropping the oath stone by flanking him with CoC or something. Once he does that he has committed himself to losing or drawing the game. This is a god-awful list that is beatable by any balanced list (including other dwarves). The simple fact is... dwarves who are movement 3 do NOT get to dictate engagements. With no Anvil of Doom present, there will not be any chance the big unit gets to fight what it wants to fight.

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Exactly right, you'd just use the highest MR, if it were even possible for there to be multiple characters in an Oath Stone unit.

9. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Cheese-tastic! I think that the one flaw in the new Lizardmen book was the whole, "Take as many stegs as you want!" approach. I think a more sane option would have been something to the effect of allowing a max of 2 stegadons, and they could be of any variety. The only real option is to just hammer away until you pop the skink priests on top, at which point the stegs are still nasty, but at least the magic phase becomes manageable and there is no BA spam. I have to say, I have only a vague idea of my battle-plan against those lists...

10. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

That's what i thought (duh.)

Atleast i got something right.

11. crimsontide
    Skink

crimsontide New Member

Heroes @ 164 Points
    Skink Chief

Skink Chief
    Cloak of Feathers, Dagger of Sotek, Light Armor, Shield

Core @ 2086 Points

298 Skink Skirmishers
    Hahaha you could divide these up however...

TOTAL: 2250 Points

*Edited out illegal list

12. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Illegal I'm afraid, max 3 salamanders per rare slot!

or

Amusingly also illegal unless you divide into at least three units. This army would be quite a sight to behold! Good luck finding a deployment zone to fit them on so that spread into skirmish formation nicely.

13. crimsontide
    Skink

crimsontide New Member

O darn. Sorry about that then... I'm new to this and overlooked the unit sizes of sallies... O well... And the skinks I meant to divide, I just didn't want to write it all out...

14. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Ah yes, been awhile since I have played my Dwarfs, and never having used the Oath Stone, I never really bothered to read the rules governing them.

Last I played them I fell in love with Strollaz's rune, and starting playing an "in your face" dwarf army. I also never take the Anvil.

Also, I forgot the magic resistance rule, glad I didn't break that when I did play with them....since I had my runes either on a character or on a standard and only one character or standard per unit held them.

It would be a terrible unit and as I stated, there is no way I think a Dwarf player could win any games, nor deserve to win any games....so while it is a ridiculous list, it is unfortunately not a totally legal one....my bad.

15. Malefus
    Jungle Swarm

Malefus New Member

Skink Chief 55

2 (Skink x10) 100

Skink Skirmisher x10 70

45 (Jungle Swarms x1) 2025

2250 total

I think this is more in the ridiculous category.

16. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

45 Jungle Swarm Bases in one unit, LMAO! That would be better lead by Tehenhuain on his tide of serpents. Have basically a nearly all swarm army. Lol, cool idea, but you can only have 6 bases in one unit so you'd have to split them up removing some of the "holy sh!t" factor.

:D

17. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

Yes, yes it is.