1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Deadmetal, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

i'm just about to paint the skink on my slann's palanquin but i'm going to try with a different colour scheme because i think that the new one will fit better with my saurus.

I'm not sure how i'm going to paint it but i want it to look something like this: http://rasmus.uib.no/~hto081/asle/skinktest.jpg.

Please post if you have any suggestions to do with how to get a similar painting scheme.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Painting yellow can be tough, especially dull yellow like that.. Start with dark browns and work up to a yellow, then use brown ink/wash to darken it up a bit and get rid of some of the shine. I wouldn't go all the way to something like bad moon yellow either, go for a shade or two darker than that with a bit of mixing. You won't need to mix very much of a dark colour at all to effect the yellow a fair bit.

3. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

i've started off with painting the whole model of my "test" skink Khemri Brown. I'm now going to paint it with golden yellow. Just wondering what the yellow ink was called.

Anyone know? If so it would be very helpful is you could tell me.

4. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Just another question:

What is the name of the yellow which is just lighter than sunburst yellow?

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Bad Moon Yellow. No longer available, btw.

6. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

GW doesn't carry bad moon yellow anymore, but vallejo has the same color and that one works fine too.
    05 Bald moon Yellow

7. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I REALLY like the yellow skink. It looks like he could use a little more shading on the scaleys on his leg.

8. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Well, i've finished my Slann Mage Priest, I'm pretty happy with it. :smug:

Link in signature.

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Cool, that's a not bad looking model you've got there.

10. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

that's a good looking slann you painted there, like the orange to green in the hands.
    palanquin is looking good too.

can you make a close up of the skink, its hard to see how you did the yellow on the posted pics?

11. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

ok, i've just downloaded some more pictures of the skink like requested. They're not that good but i hope that they show how i did the yellow. :smug:

My next project is to finish off painting Chakax.

link in signature

By the way, when i say bad i mean really bad :D

12. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

i've just painted a skink in my version of the games workshop colour scheme. it is still WIP. Please comment. I'm just wondering if the skin is to dark... but it was very easy to paint.

this time i've tried posting the pics instead of making you go through my site. :smug:

13. strewart
    OldBlood

I think it looks pretty cool, doesn't matter if it isn't exactly like GW. I would suggest doing a bit more to the scales though, they don't stand out at all. If you don't want a completely different colour for them then at least make them a few shades darker or give them a bit of highlighting so they stand out a bit. Other than that, looks good! :)

14. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

i've finished the skink now :smug: . Here is it finished:

The scales are a slightly lighter colour. Does it work? Is the change enough?

15. lord karnik
    Saurus

lord karnik New Member

Love the Pic's mate the army looks great! I am not sure if you have tried the New GW washes but a little on the weapon would go a long way!

The scale look awesome just different enough to know they are raised off the surface!

great work keep it up

16. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

i know. do you have any suggestions for washes to go on the spear handle?

Also.. i would like to know if there is a dark green wash in the games workshop washes range and if so.. what it is called (could be very useful for painting skink shields)

Thanks for the comment.

17. strewart
    OldBlood

There is only 1 green wash. I think there are 8 washes in total. Probably devlan mud would work on the entire spear well.

As to the scales, before I read the comment at the bottom I thought you had darkened them not lightened them. :D Get a test model and try lightening them all the way up to ice blue and see whay you think, anything beyond what you have done would really be just personal preference. The red in the middle looks cool. Great work. :D

18. lord karnik
    Saurus

lord karnik New Member

I agree with strewart that the develan mud would work for your spear. As for the Green I think your skink might be to dark for the wash to accomplish a lot. How ever I always wash mine not matter what!

19. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Ok... i now have 3 skinks (one of which is a brave) and i have painted one of the shields. It is only a little update but i was wondering if the skinks looked better with or without the shield.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

I find the idea of a skink holding a hand weapon and a shield in one hand is very strange in general, but problem with GW models aside yeah it looks cool. You are definitely enjoying the new washes aren't you. :p

How did you do the blue by the way? What colour(s?) are under the asurman blue wash?