1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My (brother's) Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by onlyonepinman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Hello!

Thanks for sharing all these pictures, they look fantastic! Special thanks for revealing your secrets of painting jade, as I have all the colours except for the Helion Green, I might give it a try! I'm also a great fan of the new GW glazes, they can really make some colours pop.

In your work, I'm most impressed by the blending. For example, how did you do the Cold One Cavalry banner, where the yellow is blended to red? I have tried something similar couple of times, but it just doesn't come out right. I would be super grateful if you could share some of y our secrets!

PS. Great lava effect, by the way! The OSL is rather good as well.

2. onlyonepinman
    Skink

onlyonepinman New Member

The blending red to yellow is somewhat easier with the new paint ranges because there's a nice broad range of reds oranges and yellows.

Basically, basecoat with Mephiston Red, then simply layer the paints on but water them down a bit using a medium extender. I worked right through the following colours:

Evil Sunz Scarlet
    Wild Rider Red
    Troll Slayer Orange
    Yriel Yellow
    Flash Gitz Yellow
    Dorn Yellow (this is one of the Edge paints, you can just substitute this for a 1:1 Flash Gitz yellow).

Layers is the key, the more you do, the smoother the final effect will be. you could easily add more layers to the above by mixing the colours for each stage. And you need to really thin the colours down so that you can see the previous colour. Also, make sure you use brush strokes that move towards the area where the colour will be strongest. Simply put, if you're blending Left to right (red on the left, yellow on the right) then each layer that you add should be done using brush strokes in the same direction, left to right. This has the effect of depositing more colour at the end of the stroke than at the start.

3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help! I have always used water to, erm, water down the paints. Would medium be much better for this, especially when blending?

4. onlyonepinman
    Skink

onlyonepinman New Member

For blending I generally get better results with the medium. That's only my opinion and plenty of people use water but since trying the medium extender I'm totally sold on them. If I'm doing a large area or I want a very think colour, I might use water. For example on this sword, I used a mixture of 1:3 paint/water rather than using medium.

DSC_0876-1_zps909f223c.jpg

5. onlyonepinman
    Skink

onlyonepinman New Member

I suppose it's really down to how thin you need your paint. The medium will produce a much smoother blend but there comes a point where it's so thin that even medium doesn't help. I wouldn't use medium for anything higher than 1:3 paint/thinner blends, anything that goes 1:4 or higher I use water.

6. onlyonepinman
    Skink

onlyonepinman New Member

I've started a blog on wordpress. If you're interested, please follow it. I'll be posting loads of hints and tips on there and if there's something you've seen on any of my posts, ask me and if I can I will post a tutorial about it!

7. onlyonepinman
    Skink

onlyonepinman New Member

I've started a blog on wordpress. If you're interested, please follow it. I'll be posting loads of hints and tips on there and if there's something you've seen on any of my posts, ask me and if I can I will post a tutorial about it!