1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New YouTube Channel

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by benclark, Nov 22, 2016.

1. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Hey guys I just uploaded my first ever video to YouTube. Yes I need to fix lighting, some artwork and editing but let me know what you think?! I'm going to document everything from how to build the models in the kit to painting, basing, conversions (that Troglodon from the spare parts) and then other things like terrain, etc. If you like it then please leave a comment and/or subscribe and if you don't like it then please tell me what could be better. Thanks!

Warhammer Age of Sigmar Start Collecting! Seraphon Unboxing

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Few things I noticed.

1. Maybe use a different location.
    2. Sound quality and volume.
    3. Lighting.
    4. Why do I want to watch your channel over other channels? what draws me in and keeps me interested?

Not a bad first video, well done ;)

NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and benclark like this.
  3. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Nice start! I'm interested in how this will develop in the future! Keep going! ;)

4. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Nice! The only thing is that when I watch an unboxing I like to see the sprues better, I know you showed them, but you could place the camera above instead of on the side and then get a close up of each sprue and tell us what pieces are there. And more importantly get the srues a lot closer to the camera so we can see them better ;).
    Get more videos coming! :)

NIGHTBRINGER, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I liked it, good job so far, @Crowsfoot has some points. If you have a mic it might be easier to do a bit of voice over when you get to the painting, or speak into a mic to help the sound out, though it wasn't too bad. You will need extra lighting for putting them together I think. Fantastic video though. Really great idea.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The biggest difficulty I have right now is not having a separate camera, using the built in one in my laptops display, makes angling it and viewing the image myself at the same time difficult, lighting I realised my mistake and will have more and have it behind or too the side of the camera in my next videos, which will be closer too - probably put a cutting mat over the lower half of my keyboard with the monitor angled down so it'll be focused on my hands and the models. Location is kind of fixed but better lighting and it wouldn't matter, do need some scene setting though, bare painted concrete basement walls kinda suck lol. I did think about recording the audio afterwards, rescripting myself to remove any ummm's and ahhs lol.

I'll post here when I get the next video up, try and make myself Subscription worthy lol.

7. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

I actually like the live recorded voice in videos like that.
    But sure it would be good to have some kind of script when you start making longer videos. Got to find the best mix between live speech and recorded voice.
    And about the concrete walls... We hobbyists know from our own experience that you sometimes live your (hobby)life on even stranger places... ;)
    (don't know if strange is the right word here, but... Had to complete the sentence ...)
    PS: Biggest respect for just starting to do videos! I guess some people thought about that but hesitate to cause of the lacking technology... Me included... Great video for just using a laptop camera!

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

While I don't have a YouTube channel, if I did the answer to your questions would be as follows:
    1. Nobody can rip into and dis AoS quite like me :p
    2. My channel features a top hat (why choose a top hat absent channel when you can enjoy a superior top hat inclusive variant?) :cool:
    3. My witty repartee ;)
    4. I readily share my Slannly wisdom :D
    5. Because the Dark Gods of Chaos compel you to! :angelic:

@benclark : Great start to your channel. Good on you for setting it up and taking the plunge. I think the suggestions posted above are all fantastic and they will serve you well. Just keep at it and slowly implement improvements. It will be fun to see your channel grow and progress.

SlanntaClause, Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If your location is set make it a focal point, "welcome to the basement where untold evil is never far away"

Bowser and tom ndege like this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

You could get out hammer and chisel and carve some lizard glyphs in the wall behind you. ;)

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Very nice simple and clear imo the issue it raised for me is how to pronounce Saurus like you pronounce it how it I guess is and should be considering the dinosaur link but I've been calling them "sourass" or something close to that in my head "S owe r us" I dunno xd

12. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah basement is the feature for sure, I actually just finished assembling my hobby area built from kitchen cabinet uppers given to me by my sister in law, an old sheet of 3/4 MDF 3'x5' that I got for free from the dump and then some adjustable cabinet legs which cost me a whopping $26. Sadly I didn't really take any WIP shots but I'll probably feature it in a future video as an idea of what you can do in a small space.

On camera and sound fronts my wife and I just got our cell phone upgrades so with a new Samsung Galaxy S7 I should be able to shoot in far far better quality and with better sound especially, the only question is how to mount it for recording purposes. I'm hoping to get the next video up within the next couple of weeks but this time of year is crazy for everyone so we'll see.

My landlord really wouldn't like me if I did that and we have a pretty good landlord lol, otherwise I do like the idea. :)

tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

For mounting since you are using phones, you could get a selfie stick and turn it into a tripod, or mount the selfie stick on to a tripod or boom or whatever you need to keep it steady. Work lights are usually fairly cheap, which you could put up in the basement and either hang them up or put them in shelves or tables.

benclark likes this.
  14. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

I refuse to buy a selfie stick on principle, horrible inventions making women (and some men lol) look like they spent the day sucking on lemons. o_O

But yeah I'm probably going to make some kind of tripod attachment or modify the articulated arm type of lamp i currently have as that could offer some serious potential. Main lighting I'm probably going to get an overhead florescent unit with daylight bulb although I like your idea of work lamps since I have a few of those that could put the sun to shame and provide some warmth at the same time lol. I'll give them a go and see how they fare. Biggest holdup now is finding my scalpel again, I found it the other day on my dresser (of all places) and when I went to go get it and start building it was gone and I don't remember moving it.:(

Jorgik, Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

very-small.jpg
    :D:D:D:D:D

16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Okay so no selfie stick, a cell phone car mount maybe!

17. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Now that I could get behind and I do have one that fits my S5, wonder if it'll fit my S7 as they're about the same size, hmm.

Bowser and tom ndege like this.