1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 40k

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely think we'll be seeing a good run of new 40k releases coming up now.

My wife had an intro game of 40k in the local GW yesterday, as she runs the school club. She seemed to enjoy it, has even said she would play at home if I put together a proper gaming table.

So at least now I only need to narrow down my 40k army choice to two as I'll be able to have a second for her!

Still an impossible choice.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

What are you choosing from again? I may be able to advise you.

I'm glad things are working out for you. I'm hoping that the one I love will become interested in Warhammer too, because I plan to show her how to play fantasy, 6th Ed 40K and possibly AoS when I'm able to contact her again. Hopefully she might be interested in armies that'll work nicely alongside mine so we can be allies when playing against others, such as Tau or Eldar in 40K to ally with my Necrons and/or Chaos Marines (although my Tyranids will have to remain ally-less until I get some Genestealer Cults stuff) and an Order army for fantasy, perhaps Wood Elves or High Elves because I imagine they would take her interest the most. It would interest me to see her view on whether AoS or Fantasy is better, because while I find AoS is becoming decent now that they've released some amazing new armies, I'm still not sure if it is a good replacement for fantasy...

Ritual likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Personally I have no problem at all with hordes. I think infantry

Ritual likes this.
  4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Currently I'm choosing from literally everything. I tried picking which I thought looked coolest, but they all look good.

I was looking at the chaos demon rules today... I can't work out what their specialty is! Was looking at tzeench in particular as I have some in silver tower, but they seem totally pathetic... Thoughts?

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

If you want to go Tzeentch, I would recommend looking at Thousand Sons. They are mostly Space Marines but they also have awesome-looking bird men called Tzaangors like the ones in AoS but with Autopistols and Chainswords. You could have some of those supported by harder to kill Thousand Sons Marines.

Tzeentch Daemons have lots of shooty attacks and psychic powers but have no armour and a pretty poor in close combat. Also I don't like the Horrors very much. I think it would have been better to ditch them completely and just have Tzaangors and Lords of Change, because they look more similar to each other like Khorne and Nurgle lesser and greater daemons do.

On the other hand if you want something more killy, look at Khorne Daemons instead. Certainly I would only recommend Khorne or Tzeentch Daemons - Nurgle ones are slow and have rubbish attack while Slaanesh ones are too fragile to be much of a threat to the enemy.

Hordes are OP, are more expensive to create money wise and are generally not the way that the 'quality units' such as Dwarfs, High Elves and Saurus would fight. They would more often use smaller more flexible units while the individually weaker creatures like Goblins, Empire State Troops and Skaven would more often fight in hordes to overcome their weaknesses.

Ritual likes this.
  6. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I don't have any real desire to go tzeench, I was just checking out the options really so not big deal.

I generally go for things that are pretty up close and fighty, and I don't play great defensively so if there's something that requires aggressive play that'd probably suit.

7. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

New marines are coming.

The Primaris Captain

[​IMG]

Primaris Librarian

[​IMG]

And it can't be a GW release without atleast one stupid, but very trademarkable named unit, the Reivers

[​IMG]

Aginor and Ritual like this.
  8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

The resemblance is uncanny.

[​IMG]

Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That is an interesting perspective, although to be honest I have to disagree. I just don't feel that hordes of infantry are the apex predators of the game. In my mind, monstrous cavalry outperforms most infantry hordes point for point. I'd put my skullcrushers up against just about anything, barring a few exceptions.

Also an infantry unit in horde formation is a large points investment, especially for a unit with only movement 4 or 5. They can be easily avoided or misdirected and they are cumbersome to maneuver on the battlefield.

Lastly, 8th edition has a built in counter against oversized horde units... the uber spells. There are many spells that are game changers when cast on a massive horde unit, but are pretty mediocre against MSU armies.

Now I'm not saying that infantry hordes are underpowered. They definitely have their uses. They are tough to budge, can control space, can protect victory points, etc. I just think there are other powerful elements in the game just as potent and there are available countermeasures to employ against hordes.

Just curious, do you have a couple of examples of horde units that you think are extremely powerful or do you feel that just about all horde units are OP?

Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  10. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

A couple options to check out, then. Tyranids are a great option for all out close combat. Hordes of genestealer and hormagaunts running across the board. Space Wolves and Blood Angels are another option, although less horde-like.

11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

With the exception of the silly face masks I really like those. Which says a lot becasue I normally strongly dislike the look of Space Marines.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I would recommend either Tyranids or if you're just in for a bit of a laugh, Orks. Also Space Wolves are certainly the most killy of Space Marines in close combat. When I was starting 40K, in the bygone years of 5th Ed, I was stuck between Tyranids and Space Wolves for choice and received a Tyranid battleforce, so I went down the path of the Hive Mind, but if it had been a Space Wolves battleforce I had got it would have been very different. The choice is up to you, but I would recommend one of those three if you want to be killy in close combat.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

The Captain and Librarian look pretty good but the Reivers are ugly, I have to say. I just don't like the morbid helmets.

I mostly feel annoyed because in every single 8th Ed battle report in White Dwarf there are at least one horde unit in both armies and I feel that hordes shouldn't be glorified in such a way because they just don't look right in quality armies like Dwarfs, High Elves and Lizardmen. Certainly hordes of Chaos Warriors are OP. But then all of Warriors of Chaos became OP when the new book came out. But that is just me.

14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I am putting serious consideration into Orks. After @Crowsfoot brought it up in my painting blog... I am starting to really like the fact you can convert whatever the heck you want and it'll make sense. I have a couple of chaos tanks I could destroy and Orkify.

I just need to decide which route I want to take and start finding bits for conversions and additions to them now.

Also... Probably not painting them green. Maybe going for red skin instead.

Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

While I do like green skins on Orruks the look of red skin for them has grown on me since my old WoW days. I kinda forgot how those red-skinned Orcs in Burning Crusade were called but they sure looked cool.

Ritual, Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Excellent choice :)

That's why I love Orks anything goes and red skin sounds cool, I thought about doing some tan/ light brown skin with purple armour.

I might have some conversion material that might be useful for you, I'll have a look through my vast bits box.

Ritual and Captaniser like this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Fel Orcs

Ritual and Aginor like this.
  18. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

That would be excellent, I have tons of bits if you want to do some trades.

19. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my thinking. The WoW Orcs varied in colour from grey to brown to green to red etc. so there's a lot of scope in that world - don't see why there wouldn't be in the vast 40k universe! It'll also allow me to come up with my own story around the clan which I do enjoy doing.

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  20. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

I actually kind of like the Rievers (stupid name though). Except for the "The commander doesn't wear helmet" stupidity (seriously? he's the highest priority target for snipers shooting at the squad and he's leaving his head exposed?) thing. The Librarian looks like he's had too many space-shrooms though...

Jorgik and Captaniser like this.