1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

LordBaconBane Well-Known Member

I feel pretty good so far about 2019 in regards to AoS and the Seraphon. We've already multiple battletome updates this year, including: Flesh-Easter Courts, Skaven, Fyreslayers, and now Slaneesh. Since we're on track for about a battletome a month, it wouldn't shock me if GW wants to get everyone up to date before the next major 'Soul Wars' style box set.

TrevBot likes this.
  2. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

Spin the magic 8ball of sotek I think it looks good that seraphon will get a new battletomb and some lizard themed endless spells by the end of the year. Probably the kind of update some of the other factions with existsing battletomes got and not till mid summer at the earliest given the latest spoilers. Remember many of the sacred tablets were looted from the great temple cities and release windows are murky predictions at best :p

Probably better luck for you if you're into treepeople or maybe darkoath...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Jurrasic Carp and Val Muna like this.
  3. TrevBot
    Saurus

TrevBot Active Member

I'd love me a floating space temple terrain piece for us with that book too. :p

Seraphandy and LordBaconBane like this.
  4. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

I have a whole wishlist for the Seraphon update. Anything from warscroll tweaks, to allegiance abilities, to reworking sone heroes.

TrevBot likes this.
  5. Stuart Glasson
    Skink

Stuart Glasson Member

Just playing devils advocate for a moment, but why would they give us a new battletome? I mean the current one isn't wrong is it? Plus the Generals Handbook is their dedicated way of providing updates isn't it?

It makes much more sense to me that they'll give some endless spells and a terrain piece would be nice too (double and convert to mortal wounds for all lasor beam and EotG ranged attack if within 64" of a giant blot toad). I'd love to see them update the salamanders and razordons out of failcast :)

Please don't flame me if I'm horribly wrong ... I'm just new and thinking out loud :)

LordBaconBane likes this.
  6. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

No worries about being devils advocate:D

A few reasons why they would though.
    1. People will buy a new battletome, regardless of endless spells & terrain
    2. Same as above, but for terrain & endless spells.
    3. Every single warscroll is technically out of date. Some of them have been radically changed (Kroak and Skink starseer). All of the rules after the war scrolls are striken from the errata, and the battle plans are... out of date.
    4. While Seraphon has some great units and strategies, some of the warscrolls are hilariously out of date or have flat out bad mechanics.
    5. -Insert Mr. Krabs money meme here-

nomis and Caleb ex nihilo like this.
  7. TrevBot
    Saurus

TrevBot Active Member

I believe that we are the only Battletome left that doesn't have point values in the book itself. Not to mention the very design philosophy with regard to how factions are built and played has changed and evolved as of the maggot kin book. (per an interview in the StormCast podcast) Some of our war scrolls still reference mechanics which are severely outdated. (I'm looking at you rippers)

I feel like I'm also missing quite a few other reasons, but it's not a bad question to ask.

8. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

I think flesh eater courts got updated within a year of first being published. There definetly seems to be a trend of releasing updated battletomes with endless spells and a terrain piece. It's probably more of a when then an if for the seraphon. Who knows maybe they can slip a bit more cargo cult to dead gods into the lore.... a lizard can dream? :p

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Stuff that's missing/wrong with out battletome:

1) We need like 4 books and several pdf's to have the complete and accurate set of rules.
    2) We don't have prayers
    3) We don't have spell-lores
    4) Several of our unit cards are basicly completly rewritten at this point
    5) We don't have mount traits
    6) We don't have dedicated traits & artifacts for our various heroes (e.g. Chaos factions have "mortal" and "daemon" traits, spells artifacts etc. we should have skink, saurus and slann equivalents).
    7) Several of our units just flat out don't work as they've been designed for what's essentially a different game.

There's far too much that needs updating/correcting/adjusting to fit in a general's handbook. And more importantly, we already need half a forest worth of books to play our faction, if nothing else a simple reprint with the errata, F.A.Q.'s and added rules included would be needed.

10. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

plus a lot of people are hoping for lore updates that allow for named heroes other than Kroak

PabloTho, Canas and IggyStarhost like this.
  11. Cerind
    Skink

Cerind Member

Well it's been said for a while now that all existing factions will have their books updated by the end of the year, good to hear it confirmed again.

My local warhammer store's manager is the opinion we won't be the first in that list though. We may have a lot of things that are old or missing but we generally fare well in tournaments and competitive games in general, even though it's thanks to just a few tools/ways of playing. Some factions like elves are in more dire need of an updated ruleset to play at the competitive level, and he seems to think that will favor these factions on the priority list.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Be glad that at least we have him.

Fyreslayers' new battletome gave 'em no one!

....but yeah, we have battalions with named heroes, that ATM are just fluff names, with no peculiar ability. It would be nice to have a little more depth for them.

IggyStarhost likes this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I've always found that weird as hell. Why do those battalions suddenly have a named character who appeared out of nowhere.

14. Stuart Glasson
    Skink

Stuart Glasson Member

Wow. Thanks for laying it out and I don't feel flamed, just well informed now.

As a new player I don't have your ability to do a comparison with other factions. I kinda looked at it as Fantasy became Sigmar and we got a rule book. I can see some stuff is out of date but that was made out of date for everyone (e.g., everyone got summoning changed, not just us). I always thought we must have been lucky to get our book early ... imagine if you were actually a naked dorf player (fyreslayer) and you waited years for your tome :) (dumb dorfs)

Please don't get me wrong ... I'd love to get a new book, and terrain and a unit or two.

LordBaconBane and Canas like this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, to further summarize the thing, we could say:

- our abilities as Allegiance are good
    - warscrolls of the single units are terribly outdated, as they are no longer valid the way they are written
    - we lack dedicated spells and shiny goodies that are given to updated armies

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Excuse me, but Fyreslayers got their first book not long after Seraphon. This new one is our second book.

A new tome, terrain and Endless Spells are all on the cards, but I honestly wouldn’t hold your breath for anything else. If Flesh Eater Courts and Fyreslayers didn’t get any new named characters, Seraphon almost certainly won’t. I imagine the best you’ll get is a new character - that’s what all the non-new factions have been getting so far (Fyreslayers got their Doomseeker back after he was taken out of stock). In all likelihood, Seraphon are going to be next in my view after Slaanesh. If not, GW have no sense of justice (but then they proved they don’t have that much after eschewing Bretonnia and Tomb Kings in favour of cr@ppy Empire and Vampire Counts).

17. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

Torxhol Drakescale Active Member

That preview might be SERAPHON! And I'm being stupid and getting my hopes up again...

Caleb ex nihilo likes this.
  18. Scurvydog
    Saurus

Scurvydog Active Member

As both a Seraphon and Ironjawz player I would love the preview to be an udpate to any of those old outdated books, but I really fear it will be Sylvaneth first, for no good reason, as they already have a strong book and relatively up to date mechanics (such as allegiance abilities, spell lores, traits, artifacts etc). They got new warbands along KO, so I expect to see them next.

Don't expect to see Seraphon before end of year.

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

It would be typical if so as they’re GW’s second favourite faction after Sigmarines because of stupid Alarielle who should have remained dead, although Sylvaneth aren’t that good compared to newer armies like Idoneth in particular so GW have to update them sometime in order to keep the players happy. Certainly that set against Gloomspite will most likely be coming out soon and the Sylvaneth Battletome will soon follow no doubt. Let’s just hope that they don’t get anything new other than a new character and spells because they don’t deserve it.

I’m sure Seraphon will be out sometime soon, though, perhaps after them or before if GW surprise us.

20. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

That feels a bit spiteful. I hope every army gets a lot of characters and new models, because that raises the bar for all armies and the hobby in general. Forgive me if i missed if you were engaged in some form of role-playing.

GuaDan and Jurrasic Carp like this.