1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New to warhammer, first things to get.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by TurtleDogg, Apr 9, 2015.

1. TurtleDogg
    Skink

TurtleDogg Member

I'm not building an all skink army but I will obviously have some skinks and jungle swarms so is tehenhauin worth it? I love the model.

2. angelosfernando
    Skink

angelosfernando Member

A Slann would be the better option because of the fact that he is the strongest unnamed caster in the game with the addition of being able to be the bsb of the army. But nothing is stopping you from buying tehenhauin :)

3. TurtleDogg
    Skink

TurtleDogg Member

Yeah I might do that, the only thing is that I was thinking of slann leading temple guard? How would that be?

4. angelosfernando
    Skink

angelosfernando Member

You need to have at least 30 temple guard for an effective bunker because there will be a few games where half of your temple guard gets taken out by an unlucky miscast

5. TurtleDogg
    Skink

TurtleDogg Member

What skink priest should I get? There is 3 in the store, which one is best?

6. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome to the game! Lizardmen are by far the best choice ;)

Basics:

Assuming you haven't already, get the "Warhammer: Lizardmen" and "Warhammer Rulebook" - you can get a smaller (and cheaper) paperback version of the rulebook that covers all the rules. The larger one contains a lot of background and scenarios which, whilst interesting, are unnecessary.

Lizardmen Battalion, however if you want to avoid spending a lot then I'd start off with a focus on core and a champions:

Next purchase I would get:
    • Skink Cohort (which you an use as either a Cohort or Skirmishers)
    • Skink Priest
    The third purchase I would focus on specials, which is where you could allow yourself more freedom.For me it'd be a fight between: Temple Guard to add a stronger fighting unit to whittle down your prey, Saurus Cavalry for a hard hitting offensive, Terradons (or Ripperdactyls, although I've never used them) for war machine/character hunting, or Salamanders to provide artillery support.

The first Rare unit you should be a Stegadon. Absolutely a Stegadon. You could use it as a Special, but the Rare unit version is better. I'd also focus on getting a couple of other specials first (as mentioned above).

Kit-bashing is the easiest way to convert. Just stick a lot of different bits together to make your Saurus stand out and look how you want (I made a a trident for Skink Brave using three javelins, for example). The limit is your imagination, your spare bits, and your wallet.

Yes. They can be used as either a Cohort or Skirmishers.

Saurus first to create a solid infantry core, and then branch out with Skinks for for ranged support.

Just to clarify: mandatory as in he works wonders for a mono-Skink army, but he isn't mandatory rules-wise. My game group forbids special characters sadly.

7. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Continuing on..

I only have 15 and have been successful with them so far, but it really comes down to luck with the dice. More is better.

Whichever you think looks the best! It has no impact upon play-style.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Salamanders are a rare choice. I think they are a good addition to a developing army.

Slanputin likes this.
  9. angelosfernando
    Skink

angelosfernando Member

that is correct,but he's the only way to get ld 8 in your army and he's the only lv 3 skink priest in the Lizardmen codex .

10. TurtleDogg
    Skink

TurtleDogg Member

Thanks for all your help you guys a great and I hope to be a valued member of this forum. I have also recently painted my saurus green and they almost completed, if you would like to see them I would like some feedback.
    Thanks again,
    TurtleDogg

11. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Ah, yes. My mistake.

@TurtleDogg A Stegadon and Salamanders should be your first considerations for Rare choices ;p

No worries, we are here to help.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree, they are by far the best of our Rare choices. I'd rank our Rare choices as...

1. Salamander
    2. Ancient Stegadon
    3. Razordon
    4. Nothing
    5. Nothing
    6. Nothing
    7. Oh yea, we have a Troglodon too :depressed:; at least it has a nice model.

13. TurtleDogg
    Skink

TurtleDogg Member

What about bastiladon?

14. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Tis a Special :)