1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Offensive/Defensive Seraphon Army Help!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Raptor, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

So I am wanting to restart my AoS/Lizardmen army! I'm planning on a balanced offensive/defensive list, here is what I have so far:

Heroes:
    Eternity Warden
    Saurus Oldblood
    Astrolith Bearer

Units
    :
    Temple Guard
    Temple Guard

I know this is a small force, but I can only expand on it. I'd like to add more diversity to the units, some monsters, but I don't know which ones to add. All help and tips are appreciated greatly!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

OK, actually you're a sitting duck in armor.
    You need some offensive units, magic, shooting and movement.

Magic: a Slann is great, but I suggest to start with a couple of skinks (a priest / starpriest and a Starseer)

If you pick the starter box you'll have saurus knights and a carnosaur: a fast and aggressive army. If it doesn't suit you, pick anyway some dinosaur: both bastiladon and Stegadon are strong, choose at least one (Basti is a huge tank, Steggi gives you more movement. Both comes with shooting)

More shooting / movement: take some skinks (useful to fill the Battleline taxes in Order Allegiance), and a couple of salamanders. razordons can be nice, but imo you need at least 3 of them.

you already have elite saurus: the slow, strong bulk of your army. Leaving aside the casters (you need a couple of them) you can take two roads:
    support them with skinks and fast skink-based dinos (sallies and stegadon): more shooting for you.
    form a saurus-based army but increase its speed, with cavalry and carnosaur.

3. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

I was considering getting a Stegadon, or two, and a regiment of skinks since they are fast and can hit from a longer distance! For the Magic Skinks, which of the three would be the best?

Bowser likes this.
  4. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

For a small starting force, I feel like the Skink Starpriest is so competitively costed (100pts) and does so much for you. In particular, it can dramatically increase the effectiveness of your Temple Guard- the extra jaw attacks are nice, but the -1 to hit it provides is so useful for covering up some of their weaker matchups such as massed ranged attacks and Stormcast paladins.

I second everything @Killer Angel said, they've given you a great primer on where to go from here. The only thing I would add is that while the Astrolith bearer is nice, its way too much of a point sink in smaller armies. I would save it for larger forces where its force multiplier has more to work with.

Bowser, Ecozh and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

@InfamousBeany So Purchasing a Skink Priest & Starseer would do me some good! So my army would then should look something like this?

Heroes:
    Eternity Warden
    Saurus Oldblood
    Skink Priest

Units
    :
    Temple Guard x15
    Temple Guard x15
    Skinks x12
    Skinks x12

Monsters:
    Stegadon

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

If you play by points as listed in the General's Handbook, skinks cohorts come in block of 10. So 10 skinks or 20 skinks.
    and 2 x 15 guards are A LOT of points (600!)

Stegadon is good, and i'd take the starpriest, rather than the priest.

At 1000 pts, you could field something ala:

Eternity warden
    Skink starpriest
    Stegadon
    15 temple guards
    10 skinks
    5 chama skinks (proxied by normal skinks)

a threatening dino, a sufficiently big broup of guards with the warden, magic support, a fast and cheap unit, and a "pop up" unit.
    Close combat is covered by your hammer and anvil, and you also have some nice shooting and a solid chance to take distant objectives.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

@Killer Angel What is the largest difference between star priest and regular priest? and if my limit was about 1500 points, what else could I field?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

the priest is not a wizard, so he won't cast shield. Got some shooting and nice move, and with some luck let you re-roll failed saves (which can be huge).
    the starpriest is a wizard, knows a very useful spell (your guards will love it!) and got a staff that doubles (for the target unit) the damage of the bites on 6s.

At 1500...
    I don't like to sacrifice the chama skinks, but you could field:

Scarvet on carno (general)
    Stegadon
    skink starpriest
    skink starseer
    eternity warden
    2 x 10 skinks
    20 saurus guards

OR

skink starpriest
    skink priest
    eternity warden
    2 x 15 guards
    2 x 10 skinks
    stegadon
    1 x 5 chama skinks

9. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

@Killer Angel Interesting lists! What else could I sacrifice the Stegadon for that could be just as reliable, if not better than it? and if I field Saurus Warriors as well, would I need a Sunblood or GorRok?

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

The Sunblood IS GorRok. ;)
    And he can be an excellent general, and works perfectly also with guards (his bonuses works for all saurus models).

if you don't use the stegadon, I suggest a bastiladon. It's slow, but it's a great tank, almost immortal if buffed, and with a strong ranged weapon (it's not a case that it costs 300 pts).

And if you increase your army... you can pick TWO stegadons, and buff each other with the skink Alpha. love it.

with the sunblood and 2 steggies, at 1500 pts your list would be something like this:

- Sunblood (general)
    - eternity warden
    - skink starseer
    - 20 saurus guards
    - 2 x 10 skinks
    - 2 stegadons

thinking on it, i believe i must try it myself, it sounds like a lot of fun. :D

11. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

@Killer Angel Huh, had no idea Gor-Rok could be used with the Guards :eek: I thought he could be used with only regular saurus! That being said, GorRok or Eternity warden? I do recall there being a formation, but I forgot the names :/

This list does sound pretty nice & must look neat on the table :p

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

GorRok's command ability works for every unit that got the keyword "saurus". heroes included. ;)

formations:

GorRok (aka sunblood): Sunclaw starhost
    Eternity warden: Eternal Starhost

the latter is better than the former, but they are for different kind of armies...

13. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

@Killer Angel Thanks for the help! I may get a GorRok and Eternity Warden, choose between either or depending on who I am facing as an opponent. Thanks for the advice :) I'm going to post my army here in a few weeks or so!

Bowser, Crowsfoot and Killer Angel like this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

If you buy the starter kit, the Stegadon and rhe skink star priest here is what I would go to for 1500. You could always tweak it to suit your needs.

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)
    - General
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    Saurus Oldblood (100)
    - Suntooth Maul
    Skink Starpriest (100)

Units
    Saurus Guard x 5 (100)
    Saurus Guard x 5 (100)
    Saurus Guard x 10 (200)

Behemoths
    Stegadon (260)

War Machines

Batallions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)

15. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Templeguard are difinatelly one of our best units! Convined with anf eternity warden, and the astrolith bearer they are really good... add to that the skink starpriest and the ethernal host batallion and they are just one of the stronguest units in the game. Since you will most likely be going for 1+ armor saves with this guys you have to be aware of mortal wounds and spells like the one Gelt has.

For iffence and defence this guys are very good. They are slow though.

If I where to complement the list I would definatelly include some magic and range, and since you are not using saurus warriors I would change the oldblood for a sunblood ( he is an absolute beast!)

Some support units that come to mind are:
    - Kroak/Slann
    - Starpriest
    - Salamanders
    - Chameleon Skinks
    - Rippers

If you also want behemoths
    - olld blood on carnosaur + skink priest for damage 6 , and his battleshock ability is amayzing
    - stegadon/engine of the gods
    - bastilafon for range and flank denials

But it really depends on the type of army you want to play

Bowser likes this.
  16. Raptor
    Skink

Raptor New Member

I was considering buying the starter set in a little bit or so! Looking at it now, I will have to look further into it and practice painting some models to get the army I'd like to SEE and to play with!

@Xlanax_lot I am considering a Slann Priest instead of the Starseer Skink! Thinking of converting the Slaan mage onto a stegadon instead of a floating throne :p But I need to start with my main force haha!

Bowser likes this.