1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Old Mossy's paint log - Some terrain and lizards (and OnGs!)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Old Mossy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Some terrain and lizards (and On

Mysterious Forest's done! :D

Some WIP:
    treeconstruct_zps047d2ecb.jpg

Fin
    Doneforest_zps2f636781.jpg

Some close ups of the trees:
    treesdone_zps5f112c7b.jpg

And with some spooky lighting:
    spooky_zpsc354d0c7.jpg

I've left some room for a third tree or tree stump, but that can wait. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out, but I bungled the "glowing" eyes and "mouth" of the trees a bit. Too much white, not enough blending. Oh well. So what do you think?

Next project, probably some Mordheim buildings, or maybe some orcs, or maybe a lizard hero, or maybe a goblin hero...

2. thundercake
    Skink

thundercake New Member

looks good, wish i had it.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I should give a quick "How I made this" run-down. Essentially, it's just putty around a wire frame, which is a very common method to find on the Internet, but for completeness:

I started by getting some wire from the craft shop. You want it quite thin IMO, about gauge 26. Cut several links of wire, all roughly the same length. I cut mine about 40cm for 1 tree, and 50cm for the other.
    Fold them in half together, so you've now got a clump 25cm long. Grab the clump about one third of the way down on each end, and start twisting, so that your wire clump is now in 3 segments: an end that is loose that will be the roots, the middle twisted section which will be the trunk, and another loose end that will be the branches. It'd probably be much easier if you've got pliers and a vice, but I did both of these with just my hands, so it's not essential.
    Now, start shaping the roots and branches out. Use some additional pieces of wire to curl around the roots, branches, trunk, and everywhere in-between to bulk out everything a bit.
    Once it's sturdy, and has pretty much the right shape, cover it in putty. I started out using wood-putty, and it totally didn't work. It was rubbish. Don't use it. I moved onto Milliput, which worked wonders. You want your milliput to be quite hard once set, so adjust your ratio's accordingly.
    The adventurous will now take the time to carve some nice details onto the tree, like bark, and knotholes, etc., both before and after the putty has set. I got lazy and didn't. :shrug: the shape was nice enough anyway.
    Glue and putty to an appropriate base. It's got to support a fair bit of weight, often with a large overhang in one particular direction, so ensure it's heavy and sturdy enough.
    Spray, and paint. Mine was: Chaos black -> Rhinox hide -> dry brush Mournfang brown -> dry brush Mournfang Brown + Zamesi Desert -> dry brush Zamesi Desert
    Glue on some clump foliage. I had to use super glue, because my PVA glue didn't really want to hold anything.
    Success.

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Very nice! I like the faces. This may be something I'll add to my 2013 modeling challenge.

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

They look brilliant!

6. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

So I'm back :)
    Haven't had much time in the last 3 months to do any hobby stuff, at all. Not only was work crazy, but I was also training for a trek in July, as well as going to Nepal for the last month :D So that was freaking awesome, but I'm back and modelling again.

So not a heap of new stuff so far, as I've been struggling to finish off those first 10 orcs. Just really not feeling their colour scheme, or the models themselves.

So, it's time for a custom stegadon. Yay! In true mossy style, I've gone with another toy dinosaur, and am trying to cobble together something that looks good enough to field on the table. (incase you're wondering when looking at the pics, his feet fit perfectly on a stegadon size base)
    Let me know what you think, in terms of improvements to make, and whether or not you would ever even consider playing with something that looks so dumb :p The only thing I'm really unhappy with right now, is the pose of his feet and legs. I'm hoping I'll be able to save it with some sort of awesome base.

20130519_182250_zpsf1d5d34e.jpg
    20130519_182236_zps1b93a5f1.jpg 20130519_182216_zps5b84846f.jpg

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Hi Old Mossy,

I was just snooping around and saw that one of my "and Friends" http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/spawning-of-bob-and-friends.10886/ had posted. I looked at the last page of your paint log and saw an Aussie 20 cent coin on your tree base. I boasted to my wife that I had tracked you down as well (I had previously stalked Qupakoco to his home in Alaskalustria, and discovered T'hinker'er's real world name - which is a breach of copyright if ever I saw one, just today).

Then I noticed for the first time you had Brisvegas as your location, and as I read your plog , other hints emerged that you might live nearby. A Queensland Reds themed skink priest? Why not have him riding a Bronco?

Bob and his Spawnkin are also Brisvegans. We greet you warmly (in a Cold Blooded Way, of course. No hugs). Unless you live on the Southside.

Anyway, I read your Plog from start to finish. This has left me wracked with guilt for all the projects I've started and not completed because I didn't know how to complete them. You've supplied enough ideas and inspiration that I have no excuse anymore.

Even Wife of Bob says I should post some of my models. She also says I should mow the lawn, but I can safely put that off until October or so.

So, love your work, will look out for some local materials (Mooloolabah sand) and will attempt to pull my finger out and complete some planned conversions to post.

Unless the pencils tempt me.

By the way, where is your entry in the "History's Least" Competition? http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...orys-least-successful-skaven-invasions.10935/

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The forest is looking good Old mosey, :)
    and the conversion is coming along quite nicely.

9. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

conversion is most excellent :). forests are very well done. /applaud

10. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

@Bob: haha, non-hug greetings to you, too. I am not on the southside, although I did live there for a year, in the coldest house in brisbane. not good for lizards. Seriously though, sand from mooloolaba is perfect for basing. Lots of fine stuff, with just enough slightly larger grains to make it interestesting.

Cheers for the encouragement guys. I'm keen to get a base coat down, but the only thing I'm still thinking about changing is the head "frill". The armoured frill is actually a separate piece to the rest of the head, but I glued it on when I first got the head years ago. I think it would look better without the frill, but removing the frill would be a one way deconstruction, as I doubt I could de-glue it without using pretty violent force.

What do you think: do you think it would look better without the frill, and I should take the leap, or does it look ok, and I should be happy?

(for a refresher, this is the frill and head separately)
    lizardmen_stegadon_head_2_large.jpg StegBonePlate1.JPG

Attached Files:

11. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I'd need to see it placed on the body both with and without frill, side by side, to give you an opinion. I think it looks great so far, and I'm wondering where the 5th crewman is going to stand...

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

There is a precedent:
    begy.jpg

I'm guessing you're keeping clear space for priest / chief options to swap in and out.

My preference is frills on. I think the neck would look a bit long and skinny otherwise.

Also, I should have asked, how did Nepal go with the injured foot? (I think it was foot....) Do you have any gruesome photos ?

Attached Files:

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Mmmmm, lots of projects on the go. I probably could've posted some WIPs, but oh well. Next time.

First, I decided to keep frills on. I'm either going to go with scorched brown stripe, or turquoise stripes:
    20130612_071517_zps80c172f5.jpg

Next up are my first ten orcs, finally finished after long neglect:
    20130612_072240_zps0e134904.jpg
    20130612_072303_zps0387fc2f.jpg
    20130612_072345_zpsbc149a67.jpg

Here's a brief glimpse of my mordheim warband. Still lots of assembling to do, and I'm magnetizing all the arms and weapons... They're "The Royal Bastards", a Marienburg warband.
    20130612_071231_zps919939e8.jpg

For anyone who's never played Mordheim, I really strongly recommend giving it a go. It's an awesome game, the rules are free, and you only need a handful of models. Here's some cardboard terrain I built for it, from the paper print-outs over at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive

20130612_072445_zpsbf0c907d.jpg
    20130612_072511_zpsa550c9b5.jpg

It was quite easy, although it was very menial work. I just printed it on an ink jet printer, but if you have access to a colour photocopier it would be much better. The thick ink tends to make the paper vulnerable to creasing when gluing down. I used 600 GSM paper, and glued each side of the walls to their own piece of cardboard. It would probably be better to just glue one piece on, then glue the other side of the wall onto the same piece of cardboard, as I had some trouble with fitting in the interior.

14. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Super minor update on my Mordheim band. They're all magnetized, baby! For those who don't play mordheim, it's played as WYSIWIG, and you will change equipment on your warband many times. Consequently, "Magnetize Everything!" happened.
    Mordheim-WIP-Magnetized_zpsb01da887.jpg

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Then some Nicely converted Mordhiem minis Old Mosey. :meh:

16. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Did you create all those green pieces attached to your mordheim minis, or are they made from a mould?
    Either way, i'm impressed!! So much detail!

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work! I play Mordheim more than any other game now. We play the WYSIWYG pretty loosely, but it would be nice to actually have them correct.

18. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

@n810: Cheers mate. I'm hoping I can make these guys look really good.

@NexS1: They're from the empire free company/mordheim warband sprues. They're some pretty well posed and detailed models.

@Arli: Yeah, we play it pretty loosely as well, but I'm keen to make it totally legit, so it feels better to play with. A little more immersive, perhaps.

So, minor update to my stegadon. Haven't had much time to paint recently, but what do you think of the colours? It's only the base coat, but for the stegadon at least, it will be pretty much the same scheme it ends up with:
    20130622_155109_resize_zpscd85f1f6.jpg
    20130622_154959_resize_zps72e0ac93.jpg

19. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

A bit of progress, on a few different things. First of all, my mini for my latest Pathfinder character, Gruckus.
    Gruckus_zps7cb25cc4.jpg

And at last! My Scar Vet with Great Weapon is finally done. Not that I spent much time on him, but god it was good to finally get some paint on him.
    ScarVet_zpsda04a6f0.jpg

Finally, my second stegadon body and howdah are done. Basing and crew yet to be done, but I'm happy with how it came out.
    stegwip_zps759ea0f0.jpg

20. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Looks nice man, the howdah is definitely unique!
    I'd like to see them under a white or natural light though!