1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Poll: How to name our 9th Age Dinosaurs!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Mr Phat, Nov 30, 2015.

?

What type of naming do you prefer?

1. Real

2. Invented

3. English Names

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

Invented, because they're no real dinosaurs.
    I liked most of the GW names. If they are not copyright protected I'd be happy to keep them. Or some similar ones.

2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

That's a point to consider... For invented names you will have to look that they are not too similar to already existing invented names. Real names (in any language) don't have that problem... Just use them.
    So make up new names for dinosaurs ( and other units) turns out more difficult than one might think... Especially if they are intended to make some sense and not only sound good...
    Maybe I can find my old Latin dictionary then I would try to come up with some suggestions... For names the warmbloods would use... ;)

3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Thanks for all answers guys!

I have passed on the results as well as the core of your statements :)

YOU HAVE HEREBY PUT YOUR FINGER ON 9th AGE!

4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I voted invented.

If creating a fantasy army in some place other than Earth (which 9th Age is) I think it's important to establish it's own ecosystem, especially for key creatures. Sure, general categorical terms (e.g., dragons, dinosaurs, birds, etc.) or names for mundane and common-place creatures (e.g., crow, toad, etc.) are fine but I think you need to establish original fantasy animals for your original fantasy world. However the names should be something the player can identify with,

Triceratops? Too ordinary. Stegadon? Too IP'd. How about Montiradon (latin mix of: mountain + angry + tooth) or Tepetltops (Nahuatl + Latin mix: volcano + face). I tried to include the -tops and -don in both for a dinosaur-y 'feel' and help keep a conceptual relationship to the Stegadon/Triceratops aesthetic.

EDIT: Just saw the above post by @Mr Phat >.< a few hours late on my half!

Mr Phat likes this.
  5. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

@Slanputin I think Phat, just linked to here, so In future great ideas are still welcome ;)

6. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Well, for those of you who would like to continue the conversation about how we come up with names and the general feel of the book, I have indeed started a conversation in the 9th Age forum here.

The Sauric Ace and Mr Phat like this.
  7. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Invented, as very little of the game is real.

8. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

So what does people think of the new names, that has come out of this?

Carnoosaur -->Tyrannosaurus/T-Rex -->Carnosaur /Alpha Carnosaur
    Cold One --> Raptor --> Raptor
    Kroxigor--> Corxisaur--> Caiman
    Bastilodon --> Maceosaur-->Tyroscutus
    Razordon-->Spearback
    Ripperdactyls --> Pterodactyls --> Ramphodon
    Salamander --> Salamander
    Stegadon-->Triceratops -->Taurosaur
    Terradon--> Pteranodon -->Pteradon
    Troglodon--> Spinosaur--> Stygiosaur

Anyone that was better in previos editions or do you think that these works better?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. arnau_27396
    Skink

arnau_27396 New Member

As I said in 9th age forum these are the ones I like. Especially I hate the troglodon and the stegadon ones.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree with your list. Personally I can't stand the new name "Caiman", that was definitely a change for the worse.

11. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The idea is to make them a synergism to the skinks, whom are also named after a real lizards :)
    For the other names, people wanted to have scientific names for the most part, so that's what the background team aimed for. With that in mind I feel like they did a good job, granted some are a little unfamiliar to us, but I reckon that's a question of getting to know those names.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

For the most part (with one or two exceptions) I much prefer the previous names they had come up with. It's no big deal either way, I'll probably just refer to them by their old GW names anyways... force of habit can be difficult to break.

The Sauric Ace likes this.
  13. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

I'll reckon that's a great deal of it ;)

Some of the mid term names, I have to say, was never really to my liking. T-rex and Spinosaurus just felt like the wrong direction of naming those creatures, neither the models nor the rules suggest that they were anything like, those creatures, so I'm glad we got rid of that.

14. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Spinosaurus is that far off, but Tyrannosaurus is, I think the Carnosaur is more like an Allosaurus.

15. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Yes, that's probably very equal in appearance. Or another carnosauridea like Gigantosaurus :)
    However I will say that the spinosaurus, of what we know, could not spite venom, nor was it blind. It was also at least partly aquatic, where the creature we are dealing with doesn't when have the rule.

16. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

I really like it, especially Caiman and Spearback. But I don't like the name for Slann. As I reckon I hadn't liked slann at the beginning so maybe I just have to get used to it